Shock knot

Rate this topic

Springer

Had a failure in the system this past weekend. I typically make a small loop with a spider hitch then tie a no-name into the loop. Curious, for those using this system if you are tying the no-name directly to the loop like me or doubling the loop then tying (some old posts on here show it that way)?  I have always left the loop intact and tied the no-name into it. My rationale was that the main line could never slip out with the loop intact. However this weekend was the second time in the last few years that I have experienced a crotch break in the loop on a big fish which I imagine would be less likely to happen if the loop was doubled before tying in the no-name. 

it’s bugging me and I’m thinking of making a change, possibly to even the slim beauty. Any advice is welcome. 

I tie the slim b, with the spider hitch.  Plug style.

Never could get the no name knots to work for me, on the bench, so never used them fishing... but that’s just me, i know many big fish landed with them.

now this is what happens when the shock knot catches on a cast for me lol.  This was a albright, 20lb and up, i tie a albright, no doubling the running line.

7D043A2D-8604-4D4A-B058-05DC68B4B300.jpeg.a57274b0c30029fb641d5bfaba9335b3.jpeg

I been using Spider to noname forever.  Last trip like above pic my knot got caught on guide so I went back to just noname running line to shock with no issues. It is a weaker knot.  I will sacrifice the weaker knot vs backlash frustration.  My PB drum last trip darn near spooled me past the outer bar and I had to start clamping down and knot was fine.

One thing I have learned is when using the spider noname combo it helps to have as little shock leader as possible with maybe amy couple wraps on your spool during cast.

Years ago I did some testing on this spider knot combo and it was 100%.  Love the knot but not the backlash chance.

"That's a Screamer"

30 mins ago, Steve Coleman said:

running line spider hitch blood knot to 40

couple of turns around the reel spider hitch blood knot to 80

3 or 4 feet, so the last knot hangs below the tip guide then improved clinch to the swivel 

works for me 

I use 3-4' of 80 as well.  Don't know who mentioned that to me but it's been a godsend.  Palomar knots to terminal tackle and the swivel between the shock and 80' rub leader for me.

I use a double uni knot from my main line to leader. Sometimes I'll tie the double uni with a bimini twist, just depends on how strong I want the knot. But my PB red was caught with just the double uni. 

It is interesting seeing so many use the no name knot... Thanks for sharing all. Good topic. 

Great info. Maybe I will tie one up tonight my standard way and show where the break occurred. 

FWIW #1- this has happened to me twice but I have also put many big fish on the beach with it. 

FWIW #2- when I do pull tests at the bench the 17 Lb test always breaks right at the spider and I have never been able to replicate this break outside of real World fishing. 

7 mins ago, luckyOC said:

Whats the difference between albright and no-name? 
i tie the same one as koss.... im confused, may just get a boat or something 

They start the wrap from opposite.  Too much room for error  with albright so I switched to the noname.  Lost a few fish on the albright due to my tying.  Wasn't the knot but was me.

Edited by Critter Gitter
"That's a Screamer"

14 mins ago, luckyOC said:

Whats the difference between albright and no-name? 
i tie the same one as koss.... im confused, may just get a boat or something 

By my understanding you feed the tag end of the Albright between the bottom end of the doubled leader line.   The no name you feed the tHe tag end between the leader and main line. 

also, Albright you wrap down, no name you wrap up. 

4FA2D201-38DF-452D-943C-78FAC16EE3FF.jpeg

EEF0E18C-E955-47D3-AC59-E38158124F10.jpeg

Edited by Springer

I tie the albright, the smaller/running line is wrapped around shock loop.  Both ends are trimmed close.  It gets harder to tie with small diameter running line, which is why i only use it above 20lb / .45mm line.  One additional trick i do is to pass the running line twice at the end in the loop, not once.  Only one pass as pictured, it would not hold with new slick line for me.

i do the same knot for the shock to rub leader as well, but the tag ends are longer, to keep the sinker from riding up the shock leader.

that pic above, that was the only time I remember it happening, I usually never break off a cast cause of the knot getting caught, if that is what happened... shock and everything below kept flying and the spool kept spinning lol

Edited by luckyOC