gimbap1707

Blackfish rigging question.

Rate this topic

222 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So I know many people use jigs to catch tog now, but I still use the traditional dropper loop hook rig, holding with 3-8 oz. I was wondering how you guys adjust the length of your hook depending on the conditions. My own understanding is slower current = shorter leader (referring to the snelled hook). Likewise when the water is ripping, the longer leader helps keep the bait from swinging everywhere. Thoughts? 

Edited by TimS
Please don't destroy a thread you started by edited the OP - thanks...

You should be anchored for tog fishing. The old saying is that tog feed on a dime, if you’re not on the piece you’re not going to catch.

1 min ago, MakoMike said:

You should be anchored for tog fishing. The old saying is that tog feed on a dime, if you’re not on the piece you’re not going to catch.

He said drift... he meant current.  At least that's what I'm going with.

Just now, Slayer said:

I assume when you said drift you meant current? and, IMO, exactly the opposite of what you wrote.

Yes.

5 mins ago, mickrazz said:

What is a snell? I tie a hook on with an overhand loop knot. What if I don't have any sinkers? Can I use a spark plug?

Use black tape to put two together

7 mins ago, mickrazz said:

What is a snell? I tie a hook on with an overhand loop knot. What if I don't have any sinkers? Can I use a spark plug?

Tie me a sheepshank.

6 mins ago, mickrazz said:

Overhand knots and spark plugs are fine. You may have to double up on the spark plugs.