Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
D Powell

The most famous...

Rate this topic

99 posts in this topic

O.K. Dave , since inquiring minds want to know... It wasn't anything to do with This Old House (but I did get a This old house hat) He was at a Woodworkers Warehouse store (chain tool store in Mass.) doing a book signing. So I got in line early enough and bought a book ,he signed that and a Fine Woodworking Mag. that had his Photo on the cover for me . We exchanged a few stories , had a laugh about something my 3 year old at the time did , that's about it. He is just as nice a guy in person as on TV.

Now if I could only meet the largest surf caught striper ever to date, that would make my life complete.

Well...no rock stars or anything.

I flew Secretary of Defense William Perry from Kiev to Lvov and back. Really nice guy and the most exhausted human being I ever met.

Was taken to dinner by Senators Robb and Kempthorne. I was US detachment CO in Falconara, Italy and was tyring to keep them amused the night prior to flying them into Sarajevo. Both really pleasant, intense gentlemen.

Roger Ebert had dinner one night at our house when I was in HS. He was speaking to one of my step-fathers film classes the next day.

I think I met Eelman at Charlestown Breachway once. smile.gif

Other than lotsa Congressmen, Ambassadors, and Generals I think that's about it.

I guess all unworthies should delete their posts since hcw has so magnanimously propounded his If you don't have a drink or a smoke with someone, then you never really met them rule wink.gifrolleyes.gifwink.gif

Let's see now.... since us lesser folk are still scraping here... I played high school baseball against Boog Powell. That was a few pounds ago; about sixty for me and about two hundred for him wink.gif

Impressive list being put together here. I haven't met to many famous people.

I've been hammered with a couple big city Fire Commisioners, that was a big deal for me. Probaly not to you guys.

I've met a couple US Senators (pompous asses). I've met Ali, Joe Frazier and Jimmy Young. I was almost in a fight with Mike Rothman just after he won the middle weight championship. I was bouncin some where and he can in, I asked him for ID and I got the old "Don't you know who I am!" I said no I don't, and I didn't. He apoligizes and we had a drink after the discussion.

[This message has been edited by CHIEF500 (edited 02-16-2001).]

C'mon Squidly, I thought you worked for Signore and those guys? No mention of Evernham (the soon-to-be reborn owner/crew chief phenom??)

Hmmmm, I met Wally Schirra when I was 6 (our school was named after him). I shook hands with Georgio Cinaglia, former NY Cosmos forward. I see Dick Craig, former drummer for TT Quick and part-time cable TV host quite a bit.

That's about it. Oh well.

------------------

Learn C.P.R.(Catch,Photo,Release)

Jeff B

Back in the early-mid 80's I drank Heinekens and ate pizza with Ralph Lauren and his wife at a lodge in the Adirondacks.(She was atleast half his age) Also around same time while visiting my cousin at USC she introduced me to a friend who had just posed for playboy. (Name escapes me now)

Also back in the 80's when I used to go to clubs I'd run into alot of Flyers. Spoke several times with Rick Tocchet and Peter Zezel.

Pulled over Patrick Ewing on the NJ Turnpike. Nice guy. Also pulled over Riddick Bowes' wife. My Uncles' best friend is Paul Hornung, met him while in California.

Ray-Ray was long gone by the time I got there. The stories I heard about him were less than flattering though. The general consensus was that I would have kicked his a** just before he fired me, probably sometime within the first year.

I was always more of a Vinny Green type of guy. wink.gif

The first year we ran Charlotte, Bill Simpson the safety products guy threw IROC a huge party. I met Ray there. He reminded me of a politician. It was a required appearance. He showed up, made one trip through the crowd and was gone. That has always been his trademark from what I hear. God bless him, he is as successful at his job as anyone on the planet.

Tell ya who can party is the crew of the #2 car. What a night! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Drank at this local dive one night about 2 years ago. At about 12:00 a.m. I got a good one tied on (when I mean good I mean that everybody was my friend and I was thinking about taking a taxi to Mardi Gras) when in walk John Lennon and Elvis. Each took one seat at my various sides (and by 12:00 a.m. I HAD various sides) and they immediately ordered three drinks (2 for me and one for them to share) from Jim Henson, the bar tender. Night ended kind of abruptly though when I managed to besmirch both Yoko and Priscilla in one sentence. To put a long, drunken story short, the bouncers, John Kennedy & John Belushi, took both Lennon and Elvis out back where they beat the ***** out of them for me. That's my last brush with tequila and greatness.

Brain,

You mean you didn't see Elvis's daughter and son-in-law, Mr & Mrs Michael Jackson?

Met Muhammed Ali in center city Philly in 1969. He was driving a red Rolls Royce convertible and was stopped at a red light. I was walking across the street in front of him and admiring that distictive grille that all Rolls have and happened to look up at the driver whom I recognized as Ali. I walked up to him, he rolled down the window and we shook hands, the light changed and away he went.

There you go Brian!

I failed to mention Muhammed Ali, numerous times in Louisville. He's also a good friend of the best man in my wedding, also a sports writer for the Courier Journal. It is very uncomfortable to see him now and I also realize that we are a long way from a cure for Parkinson's disease.

I once met Joe Fraiser in a local 7-11. He was buying lottery tickets. Store manager told me he comes in quite often, he also dates a woman in the area.

I also met Hulk Hogan in AC, along with some other big name wraslerssmile.gif