Let Em Run

Surf casting bags

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Surfland B&T has a nice selection of Gear-Up bags available online. 
It’s probably considered a commercial link and a :wag: to post, so it’s surflandshop dot com

Edited by PlumFishing

On 10/13/2020 at 11:45 PM, Let Em Run said:

My bad it's a 2  3" tube . I just don't want to big. I always try to fish light.

Let-

Did you ever pull the trigger on one of these bags?  I've been wanting to go the same route for some time now, but struggle on which setup to go with.  I tried to go cheap with the Aquaskinz 3 tube but it just isn't worth it.  I have a Gear-up eel pouch i have for the one side of my belt that houses my soft plastics but a looking for that strong, durable, compact beachwalker type bag for my plugs and tins/bucktails.  It's a quite a search indeed.......

On 10/14/2020 at 3:52 PM, Bow3022 said:

As someone who's had flatlander, ebbpoint, gear up, aquaskinz bags, i started out with a 3 tube flatlander, sold that and got a 2 tube flatlander w/ front pouch. Sold that, went to a blitz bag which is good but not good for tall plugs so, there goes that idea. Ebb point didnt have spot for tins or bucktails, that got sold.......Aquaskinz double barrell, if that had some d rings and bucktail slots that wouldve been great.

I finally downsized to a gear up mini with a front pouch. Enough room to hold medium and smaller plugs(can't hold 7-8 inch pencils or pikies). Front pouch has bucktail slots plus some room for extras. Couple that with a commando zipper pouch for bigger soft plastics, leader wallet stuff which works for me. Although I wear my bag on my shoulder, and clip into my belt.

Now i just looked on their site and their front pouches do NOT have bucktail slots for tins/bicktails.  Where can this be found??

Thanks.

On 10/14/2020 at 7:43 PM, Aaron Barmmer said:

I know dude but I need the extra space for a few harpoon IPAs a half pint of Hennessy Cuban cigars and also a couple of bottle rockets to spook the seals and report chasers that get too close! 

LOL !!!

28 mins ago, yogiiiboy said:

Now i just looked on their site and their front pouches do NOT have bucktail slots for tins/bicktails.  Where can this be found??

Thanks.

You gotta custom order it through gear up.

New backpack worked out pretty good. 30l Grundens. Can fit a deep 3700 in there, a jacket, a bottle of water and a tin can or another bottle of the beverage of your choice in the side pocket holders. 

Weight distribution and fit is much better than the much bigger and not as good fitting 45l Gecko waterproof pack I used for a couple of years. 

Thinking that a small belt bag for a small collection of go to stuff would be a good accessory to this pack so I don’t have to go into the pack every time I change stuff. 

5915400F-D11B-46F1-9460-3470AD1AF249.jpeg

3E2B4DDA-3F96-452B-9795-CB45ACE1BC94.jpeg

2 hours ago, yogiiiboy said:

Thanks.

Surf casters are quite creative, I took a two tube and three tube gear up bags. Put d rings where the straps attach on the bag, added straps/triangle rings to a few gear up bucktail pouches and married them together with clips. If you want pics I’ll take some for you. 

Adis at gear up is really cool and does very nice custom stuff. He made me a single tube this spring. Custom always costs more but is well worth it if your serious about fishing.  

Something I learned, if you go waist make sure your bag has inside flaps.  I tend to follow the tide and my belt is in the water at times.  I had plugs float out of my bag thru the side on the flap.  Got rid of that and never switched off the should ever since. 

this tip might apply from my photography days...look for bags that are brightly colored inside.  So many bags are line with dark to black material.  That can make it impossible to find thing by sight.  Having a bight color lining makes finding some items a breeze.  That goes for the small pockets too.  I'm also a big fan of well made smallish sling bags vs traditional two strap packs.  You can keep them around your back until needed then just sling them around right in front of you and it will open up just right to give full access to the insides.

I have a huge, the biggest National Geographic made, photography pack that would hold every big, ok, every. lens I owned plus 5 remote flashes, a couple full frame bodies, you name it...I don't make spend time shooting anymore so I am going to repurpose that bag to carry my gear in total then add a smaller sling bag and a belt to carry what I want that day.  I loved the NattyG bags because they are heavy real canvas that you can totally waterproof.  

I look at fishing bags and kind of shake my head at the prices.  I'd rather hit up a maker like Tom Bihn in Seattle to make a custom bag rather than pay for another made in China bag that last week as $4.99 in the discount bin with the same features....sorry I have an attitude with bag makers as a rule.  ;)

14 hours ago, Bow3022 said:

You gotta custom order it through gear up.

I see....didn't know they did customs...............thanks !!