Let Em Run

Surf casting bags

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

I was hoping to get some input on bags. Want to travel somewhat light . I'm liking the Flatlander Back Bay. or the 2 1/2  tube ODM. Thoughts in belt carry vs shoulder. Other input as well. Would like to see pics and dimensions. All thought welcome thanks. 

I’ve had a full size bag for about 20 years, I tried a 2 tube belt bag for the first time last weekend. It’s a keeper, I will never go back to full size. Paired with a 2” Teckna dive belt that has a spring loaded (depth compensating) buckle, it was hardly noticeable. It’s an inexpensive bag, 10 slots for tins, and a pocket on each end, and it carried more than everything needed. Good luck with your choice.

1 vote for belt carry. I shoulder strapped my bag for years, due to sheer laziness... Having to thread and unthread my belt through stubborn loops each time I changed bags, which is often. Finally just took the two minutes at the beginning of each trip and there’s no looking back. No more sore neck/shoulder area after hours of casting.

I’d go with for a single row bag and more importantly don’t bring everything you own. Before each outing cater your bag to the conditions. I know this can be tough because what the weather and surf reports say isn’t always what you encounter when you get there. Keep some alternative stuff in the car. The walk back to the vehicle to exchange plugs is much less painful than realizing what you really need is at home. 

Edited by Domjolly

AAAB4411-DAB3-43C2-A9D7-5485DF84973E.jpeg.a37c3a9336153b7e4faf647dbd27e3ab.jpegI picked up a 2 tube flatlander bag on here last month and it was probably my best purchase this year. another vote for a belt carry.. i was using one of those supreme surf bags beforehand with the shoulder strap and I’ll never go back. Being able to remove the smaller pouch and add it separate to your belt really helps with spreading the weight out too. 

1 hour ago, cheech said:

I’ve had a full size bag for about 20 years, I tried a 2 tube belt bag for the first time last weekend. It’s a keeper, I will never go back to full size. Paired with a 2” Teckna dive belt that has a spring loaded (depth compensating) buckle, it was hardly noticeable. It’s an inexpensive bag, 10 slots for tins, and a pocket on each end, and it carried more than everything needed. Good luck with your choice.

Ditto.  I used 3-tube and 4-tube shoulder bags for years.  Picked up and Ebb Point 2-tube belt bag and use that 99.99999% of the time.  So much more convenient and comfortable.  I had custom tubes made so there's 1 3" tube and 4 1.5" tubes.  Small pouch on the front of the bag too.  On the opposite side of the belt I have an Ebb Point pouch for riggies/soft plastics/extra storage.

Really impressed with my new Ebb Point Beach Walker his Service is amazing Ordered it Wednesday received it Saturday and he had to make it first lol His price point is also impressive compared to competitors  Give him a try and you won’t be disappointed 

E6CAA7DE-B5C4-4477-B504-3EEA1F85F7C5.png

I just ordered a Flatlander Back Bay this week. Just a FYI there is a 6 month wait and 95 builds ahead of me. If you can wait, it'll be worth the wait. They make a "Blitz bag" that's small check that out too.

I talked to Flatlanders yesterday he said he is 8 months out. I really wanted a Back Bay , don't really want to wait 8 months even though it would be worth it ,  but looks like I might go with middle size ODM.

Gear up has a lot of options too, and they keep an inventory. I received their 3 tube within 3 days of paying. They also have a 2 tube and 2 tube w/pouch similar to the ebbpoint and flat lander posted here.

You'll want a 3 tube eventually, imo that's all you need...the gear ups run large and dont have properly sewn seems on the inside of the bag.  It's not a huge issue, but something that should really be fixed.  Old stock ebb points are excellent bags, so are the new run models and if you can find a Commando....buy it.

The middle size ODM is a 3 tube. Each tube is 2.5 . The Flatlanders Back Bay is still my favorite I believe. Would love to go to sportsman's show and check them all out. But this Covid screwed in that up.