My buddy is lost - fishing around Woburn?I

Rate this topic

I have a friend who goes fishing once in a blue moon but when he does he really enjoys it. He just moved to Woburn and he doesn't know anything around to do some saltwater fishing. Where would you say he should try that's not too far?

He was also asking for a decent spot around Salem (as he is going there soon).

Edited by ifishthebadspots

With Boston-area roads and traffic, it can take a long time to get to spots that appear to be nearby on a map. When I lived near Woburn, I found that I could be in Ipswich more quickly than I could be in parts of Boston, Salem or Marblehead, even though those spots were fewer miles away. So, I’d recommend Ipswich and Plum Island, since access is easier up there than it is closer to Boston. 

Edited by fishinbill

3 hours ago, Stewie said:

Ah, the legendary Concord River pike. Anyone ever actually seen one?. I've heard of exceptionally large pike, but not from anyone I'd ever believe.

I have caught pike before in the lower reaches of the river and the biggest I've seen come out of the Concord River was a 42". Nearby Merrimack River you get more accidental catches than anything. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎13‎/‎2020 at 4:39 PM, fishBAD said:

Does it have to be salt?  There's some decent freshwater spots he could reach.  Trout in Horn Pond and Walden down the road.  And the Sudbury and Concord rivers repotedly has Pike.  I'm not a bass guy but the mystic lakes are known to have some pigs.

I know the Sudbury has pike. Little shore access, so a kayak or canoe or small boat would be the on-the-water options.

Horn Pond has quite a bit of shore access, and kayak, canoes and rowboats are good choices.

I've not fished the Mystic Lakes, but I have fished the river around the Amelia Earhart(?) dam and gotten stripers in early spring.

Your choices are only limited by what type of fishing and how far you are willing to travel.

I've been know to drive up from Dedham to Westford, Georgetown or even southern NH for a day trip.

What can I say, I like to fish year round.

Edited by FishermanTim
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy!

On October 27, 2020 at 5:46 PM, The Riddler said:

There is a lot of joy going around and finding spots to fish. Take your shutouts and victories in stride. 

Totally agree. Taking your losses and learning the water you fish makes the successful days much more satisfying. Put in the time and things will work out just fine. That's what fishing's all about.