gellfex

Does a reef anchor need to be weighted?

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mickrazz said:

That's the one. We had shore lunch on the island.

I thought it looked familiar. Camp Turrell, a Boy Scout camp, opened there in the late 70s. I was part of the Scout crew that helped build it. My job was catching rattlesnakes. That dam was full of them. We would go for a week and catch a half dozen a day.  I caught a huge bass on the opposite side of the lake from that rock wall. 6 or 7 lbs. Tossed a lazy ike up along a fallen tree and it got gulped. The fish went down into the branches and I had to swim out to get it. 

Beaverdam Pond

Screenshot_20201025-220221_Maps.jpg

Turrell is still full of rattlers!  Both my son and daughter were instructors there, my daughter hopes to go back next summer, now she's actually a Scout!  It's a bizarre place. 

One night we decided to hunt raccoons. We made a slop pit out in the woods between two trees, tied a branch between them and hung a cinder block over the pit with the rope running maybe 20 feet back to a couple large rocks we could hide behind. We head out there in the dark with bows and arrows. Two of us on the bows and a third with the brightest light we could get.

We're hunkered down for awhile and the pit starts getting noisy.  We all stand and draw the bows pointed at the pit. The light man lights up the pit and we see a couple raccoons and, what,  are those bear cubs?  Then this huge paw comes down and swats a raccoon. I look up and OMG! Momma bear standing on her hind legs swatting at raccoons 20 feet away.

The mofo with the light takes off and we all start running but he's small and fast and way out front with the light. We're left stumbling through crazy rocky terrain trying to flee.  Luckily, the bear didn't bother to follow us. 

Nobody believed the tale until morning when the guy at the commissary showed photos of the mom and Cubs he took as they wandered past the commissary that night.

Edited by Mike

38 mins ago, Mike said:

One night we decided to hunt raccoons. We made a slop pit out in the woods between two trees, tied a branch between them and hung a cinder block over the pit with the rope running maybe 20 feet back to a couple large rocks we could hide behind. We head out there in the dark with bows and arrows. Two of us on the bows and a third with the brightest light we could get.

We're hunkered down for awhile and the pit starts getting noisy.  We all stand and draw the bows pointed at the pit. The light man lights up the pit and we see a couple raccoons and, what,  are those bear cubs?  Then this huge paw comes down and swats a raccoon. I look up and OMG! Momma bear standing on her hind legs swatting at raccoons 20 feet away.

The mofo with the light takes off and we all start running but he's small and fast and way out front with the light. We're left stumbling through crazy rocky terrain trying to flee.  Luckily, the bear didn't bother to follow us. 

Nobody believed the tale until morning when the guy at the commissary showed photos of the mom and Cubs he took as they wandered past the commissary that night.

Yeah, that sounds about par for Turrell. It's amazing they don't lose a few kids every year.  My son at 17 was the de facto rock climbing and extreme sports director when they couldn't actually get a 21 year old. They set up a triathlon course but some kids didn't listen for the bike section and took a wrong turn down that horrible road and went missing. They had to send out a search party!  My daughter wrote a college application essay about trying to keep a horde of 11 year olds from stumbling into a rattler in the dark.  Last year they finally cracked down on the staff keg parties out at the Wilderness Skills site. What a place. Be Prepared don't cover it!

20 hours ago, mickrazz said:

That's the one. We had shore lunch on the island.

That had to be the best shore lunch ever.  I couldn't believe the shot that you made on that Ruffed Grouse.  Cast n Blast baby... epic!  We shoulda done that trip a couple more times.

9 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

I can't imagine you need a grapple to hold a kayak. I'm sure an old window sash weight will do the job. You're over thinking this. 

Maybe with no wind and current, but I'm bolder than that!  Trust me, I've been using 3-5# folding grappnel anchors for years, and know what it takes to hold a kayak.

If I had remembered to hit the electrical supply today before it closed for some #4 copper I would be making my anchor this evening.

Lost a 3.5 lb folding grapnel anchor Tuesday, so it seemed the right time to make a reef anchor. I think it's going to be great! 

2 x36" pc #4 copper (~$1/ft)

3/4 copper pipe 8"  (scrap from plumbing repairs)

Blocked up the end with duct seal, poured in lead. Final weight 2.75 lb.

5f9b2913dd898_reefanchor.PNG.77d49a2a08e4e940d6f27540ee803e45.PNG

Edited by gellfex

1 min ago, gellfex said:

Lost a 3.5 lb folding grapnel anchor Tuesday, so it seemed the right time to make a reef anchor. I think it's going to be great! 

2 x18" pc #4 copper (~$1/ft)

3/4 copper pipe 8"  (scrap from plumbing repairs)

Blocked up the end with duct seal, poured in lead. Final weight 2.75 lb.

5f9b2913dd898_reefanchor.PNG.77d49a2a08e4e940d6f27540ee803e45.PNG

You can bent the tines back by hand?

Looks good. 

Just now, Kml said:

You can bent the tines back by hand?

Looks good. 

Well, I bent them this way by hand!  Honestly, if the current is strong enough to bend this, I probably shouldn't be anchoring there in a Kayak. Where I was on Tuesday I was in 20 ft and I had to use a 1.5 oz jig to keep from scoping out. But I don't think it would've bent this. 

I do think I need to have a backup aboard in case I lose one. At least at $6 they're pretty cheap to make!

On 10/12/2020 at 7:05 PM, gellfex said:

I'm thinking of making a mini reef anchor for the kayak using #4 solid copper wire and a piece of copper pipe. The question is do I need to pour some lead in the pipe or will the geometry and weight of the anchor make it work anyway? Is a chain better? Either way, I don't want it more than like 5# total. It doesn't take much to hold a kayak, I've had my folding grapnel style anchor hold well enough after I had to pop the zip tie and it was backwards.

This kind of thing.

reef-anchor.jpg

No weight needed. Put a ring on the bottom  of the shaft and connect your chain there. Pull the chain tight parallel to the shaft of the anchor. Depending the size of your boat, use a couple of wraps of heavy mono to hold the chain to the eye at the top of the anchor. The weight of the boat should be on the ring at the bottom of the anchor, not on the mono holding the chain to the shaft. The mono is there just to keep the anchor hooks facing the toward the anchor line. If the anchor gets stuck, just tie off the anchor line and power enough to break the mono. The anchor will get pulled out upside down from the base of it. Retie mono before next drop. For larger boats, bailing wire is better than mono.

32 mins ago, Gamakatsu said:

No weight needed. Put a ring on the bottom  of the shaft and connect your chain there. Pull the chain tight parallel to the shaft of the anchor. Depending the size of your boat, use a couple of wraps of heavy mono to hold the chain to the eye at the top of the anchor. The weight of the boat should be on the ring at the bottom of the anchor, not on the mono holding the chain to the shaft. The mono is there just to keep the anchor hooks facing the toward the anchor line. If the anchor gets stuck, just tie off the anchor line and power enough to break the mono. The anchor will get pulled out upside down from the base of it. Retie mono before next drop. For larger boats, bailing wire is better than mono.

Being in a kayak, my power is limited! While I use light zip ties for the technique you describe for regular grapnel anchors, I would think the reef anchor solves it's own problem by bending. If the shaft of my new anchor got caught in a crevice bad enough that it wasn't coming out, it seems not too likely pulling from the other end would help. OTOH, it's easy enough to do, just tying off my line (no chains for me) to where the copper wire emerges and leading it to the eye. A trick I saw somewhere was put a loop in the line with slack to the end when zipped, so your breaking pull has more direct power than a tangental pull might.

1 min ago, gellfex said:

Being in a kayak, my power is limited! While I use light zip ties for the technique you describe for regular grapnel anchors, I would think the reef anchor solves it's own problem by bending. If the shaft of my new anchor got caught in a crevice bad enough that it wasn't coming out, it seems not too likely pulling from the other end would help. OTOH, it's easy enough to do, just tying off my line (no chains for me) to where the copper wire emerges and leading it to the eye. A trick I saw somewhere was put a loop in the line with slack to the end when zipped, so your breaking pull has more direct power than a tangental pull might.

My bad. Didn't realize it was a kayak.