gellfex

Does a reef anchor need to be weighted?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

I'm thinking of making a mini reef anchor for the kayak using #4 solid copper wire and a piece of copper pipe. The question is do I need to pour some lead in the pipe or will the geometry and weight of the anchor make it work anyway? Is a chain better? Either way, I don't want it more than like 5# total. It doesn't take much to hold a kayak, I've had my folding grapnel style anchor hold well enough after I had to pop the zip tie and it was backwards.

This kind of thing.

reef-anchor.jpg

You will bend the tines getting it out of a snag?

I’m sure you could get it to grab with or without lead. I do not see how it could hurt. 

I’d be more concerned about getting it unstuck. Anytime I used one on a boat we usually get it out with moving the boat under power.

49 mins ago, Kml said:

I’d be more concerned about getting it unstuck. Anytime I used one on a boat we usually get it out with moving the boat under power.

That's why I'm going to make it out of copper wire instead of steel rebar!

I would think it needs to be weighted.  If you're trying to anchor on a spot with any kind of current running it will be difficult if that grapple doesn't sink quickly to the bottom and stay there once it does.    The grapple I have for my boat is very heavy for that reason.

3 hours ago, quiknet said:

I would think it needs to be weighted.  If you're trying to anchor on a spot with any kind of current running it will be difficult if that grapple doesn't sink quickly to the bottom and stay there once it does.    The grapple I have for my boat is very heavy for that reason.

It's good point for a boat, but I wouldn't be anchoring a kayak in anything over 2 mph, and 30 ft anyway. A grapple of #4 copper wire should drop like a stone.

1 hour ago, gellfex said:

It's good point for a boat, but I wouldn't be anchoring a kayak in anything over 2 mph, and 30 ft anyway. A grapple of #4 copper wire should drop like a stone.

The object of an anchor is to drop to the bottom and either dig in or hang onto something. Anything you can do to facilitate that process should only help.

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

The object of an anchor is to drop to the bottom and either dig in or hang onto something. Anything you can do to facilitate that process should only help.

True, but within reason. A major reason to kayak is traveling light. For example a 20# anchor with a 20# chain would be very effective but make no sense!  I usually use a 3-5# folding grapnel type with no chain.

55 mins ago, mickrazz said:

I don't have a kayak.

The internet has a memory like an elephant.

kayakrazz.jpeg.8b4e03cf45bfcc637ef873ca14f55592.jpeg

2 hours ago, mickrazz said:

Thanks. It was a beautiful lake in upstate NY. 

Was there a big dam at the north end and an island in the lake?