flyangler

How did you spend Indigenous People's Day?

Rate this topic

61 posts in this topic

I slept in rather than go to the beach to stare at water devoid of mullet. 

I went to HD to pick up another rattle can of Varathane spray eurathane

Put fourth and final coat on top of work bench

Wife and I spent hours cleaning out the garage, long overdue

Ate a meal in the process

Took a shower

Now about to log into work to do something I need to get done before morning

What did you do to mark Indigenous People's Day? 

I should note, while the equity market is open today, the bond market is closed as it the Fed's settlement system so it is a "day off" for bond folk like myself. 

6 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

Pardon my stooopidity, what is indigenous people's day?

Come on man!

1 min ago, Shipwreck said:

I worked and then lathered the cat with Land o Lakes and set the dog on him after we put a confederate hat on him.  Good times.

^^ Understands

Indigenous Peoples' Day[1] is a holiday that celebrates and honors Native American peoples and commemorates their histories and cultures. It is celebrated across the United States on the second Monday in October, and is an official city and state holiday in various localities. It began as a counter-celebration held on the same day as the U.S. federal holiday of Columbus Day, which honors Italian explorer Christopher Columbus. Many reject celebrating him, saying that he represents "the violent history of the colonization in the Western Hemisphere",[2] and that Columbus Day is a sanitation or covering-up of Christopher Columbus' actions such as enslaving Native Americans.[3][4] It was instituted in Berkeley, California, in 1992, to coincide with the 500th anniversary of the arrival of Christopher Columbus in the Americas. Two years later, Santa Cruz, California, instituted the holiday, and in the 2010s, various other cities and states took it up

I woke up, and realized according to my Alexa that they changed the name of Columbus Day. 

I then proceeded to read the news, and read last night they also tore down an Abraham Lincoln Statue, as well as a Teddy Rosevelt statue. 

I then proceeded to ask myself, are we still living in America? Doesn’t seem like it.

4 mins ago, flyangler said:

Come on man!

^^ Understands

Indigenous Peoples' Day[1] is a holiday that celebrates and honors Native American peoples and commemorates their histories and cultures. It is celebrated across the United States on the second Monday in October, and is an official city and state holiday in various localities. It began as a counter-celebration held on the same day as the U.S. federal holiday of Columbus Day, which honors Italian explorer Christopher Columbus. Many reject celebrating him, saying that he represents "the violent history of the colonization in the Western Hemisphere",[2] and that Columbus Day is a sanitation or covering-up of Christopher Columbus' actions such as enslaving Native Americans.[3][4] It was instituted in Berkeley, California, in 1992, to coincide with the 500th anniversary of the arrival of Christopher Columbus in the Americas. Two years later, Santa Cruz, California, instituted the holiday, and in the 2010s, various other cities and states took it up

HONK! HONK!