Looking for an entry level O/U Trap Gun

Rate this topic

Sudsy

And getting more and more confused the more I look

Undecided between new and used

So the guys at the trap club I've been shooting at remind me a lot of the fishermen here, "You have to have a VS or ZB" - I'm looking for a 706. 

Like to keep it under $1k

Looks like the only new models out there in my $$ range are Turkish in manufacture and run the gamut as to quality

I'm assuming I want a forged steel receiver rather than aluminum

And obviously, because of the amount of shooting vs a hunting gun, chromed barrels.

What else should I be paying attention to ?

Right now looking at the Weatherby Orion 1 and the Stoeger Condor Competition

Any others I should be looking at ?

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

Good luck in your search.  For 1K I would seriously buy a used gun.  Are you just going to shoot trap with it? True trap guns are a special breed, and worthless for much else.  And to think that the model 12 was the gun to have to shoot trap back in the day.  Guerini and others now make mid rib guns that would cross over to clays, but you are in that 3-5k range.

Don't discount autoloaders, although you will draw a stink eye from the purists.  My son started trap shooting with a Beretta 390 and a shell catcher.  

Check out used Browning Citoris, just a bit more than budget. It will always be worth whatever you pay for it as long as its not damaged.

"A GAMEFISH (which striped bass should be) Is too valuable to be caught only once"...Lee Wulff

When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty" - Thomas Jefferson

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help." Most dangerous words in the English language...Ronald Reagan

2 hours ago, Fish4Fun said:

Don't discount autoloaders, although you will draw a stink eye from the purists.  My son started trap shooting with a Beretta 390 and a shell catcher.  

Shooting my Rem 1100 now

Really don't want to be trap shooting with it as I :heart: this gun, it's 30 years old, grey Parkerized so impossible to replace parts, and I do NOT want to wear it out, which trap shooting will do in a hurry.

Edit

Said I was leaning towards the Stoeger Condor Competition, but started finding quite a few bad reviews so I deleted it.

I'll try to be patient and look for something used and not made in Turkey

Edited by Sudsy

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

2 hours ago, jolly mon said:

If you can find a Browning BT99 used , You'll have a fine Trap Gun and still have money in your pocket 

That's a single barrel, looking for a double

Edited by Sudsy

I'd stick with Golf............

"Law enforcement’ is not something sovereign citizens seize from police officers. It is a societal function that citizens delegate to civil police.

In so doing, we do not abdicate our own sovereignty, nor our duties as citizens. Ultimate responsibility is still ours. When those we hire as our “Protectors” are either unwilling or unable to perform that function at the critical moment, there is no law, nor standard, that says we cannot perform it for ourselves"........ John Farnam.

"Gird Your Loins"

5 hours ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Beautiful

But :eek::eek: - the matched pair for $109,000.00

6 mins ago, Kml said:

Somebody told me a while ago that if you shoot a lot the gun is the cheapest thing. 

Depends on your definition of "a lot"

There are guys that shoot 1000 shells in a weekend, I'm not one of them. I probably shoot less than 3000 a year.

I like to spend other peoples money so for you I’m going with a Beretta A400. It can shoot clays and double as a field gun. It is a light on the recoil. It is just a bit more than your cap.

A field o/u like a beretta silver pigeon can be had for about double your cap but it is still a bargain because it is a fine gun that will last you a long time. 

Edited by Kml

The A400 is another single barrel. No go, looking for two

Which is the better gun the Silver Pigeon or Citori ?

19 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Which is the better gun the Silver Pigeon or Citori ?

Only you can decide that. 

It is a fit thing for most people. My brother had a citori and swappe for a silver pigeon and is very happy. I know guys that have done the exact opposite and love the citori. 

Shoulder some guns, shoot if you can and don’t overpay in case you need to sell it ;)