Mike132327

Pencil poppers and wind knot inquiries

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Good afternoon I’m new to the realm of working pencil poppers and spooks but since I have started I have been getting wind knots very consistently off of the spool. I’m assuming it has to do with 

1) my technique s as I’m still getting the feel probably popping to aggressively

2) the line lay from the slack and tension on the spool 

So my question is how do you guys deal with the second problem the first one is obviously a personal issue. I’ve heard casting a heavy jig and retrieving it under tension helps. I know they happen it is what it is but it can’t happen nearly every cast or I’m going to throw the rod or myself in the ocean. Any advice you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated. 

Set up used: Penn slammer 3 4500 with 30lb pp (rod) Dark Matter John Skinner 9’2” M moderate action

Lures: super strike pencil 2 1/4oz I believe and tsunami xd 5-7” talking poppers

heddon super spook

The trick is to hold the line between your pointer finger and thumb while reeling. Just enough to put tension on the line.

5 hours ago, i07nyc said:

The trick is to hold the line between your pointer finger and thumb while reeling. Just enough to put tension on the line.

8 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

X2 pinch the line

I’ll definitely give that a go tomorrow never thought about that but it makes complete sense. Thank you. 

Pinch the line at the start of the retrieve to take out the slack from the cast. Then dance the pencil. Once it’s working you should be able to un pinch the line and let the surface tension keep the line tight while you whip the rod tip.

If you have a cross wind you might have to pinch the line the whole retrieve to avoid casting knots.