MaxKatt

Under Water: Coastal Fragility & Our Rising Seas (free)

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

I can't provide links to register here, but you can Google it and join if you're interested.

If you have any questions, please email Louise McMath:   lmcmath@ldeo.columbia.edu.

Registration is required

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 12.20.12 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 12.20.26 PM.png

On 10/12/2020 at 0:35 PM, Shipwreck said:

Did Al Gore already beat you here?

Wasnt NYC supposed to be underwater right now?

While you're joking about an existential crisis, real estate values are already into a decade long drop, and insurers who bet on this stuff as a science for a living know exactly what the score is.  

With single-family homes selling for an average of $3.6 million, Bal Harbour epitomizes high-end Florida waterfront property. But around 2013, something started to change: The annual number of homes sales began to drop — tumbling by half by 2018 — a sign that fewer people wanted to buy.

Prices eventually followed, falling 7.6 percent from 2016 to 2020, according to data from Zillow, the real estate data company.

All across Florida’s low-lying areas, it’s a similar story, according to research published Monday. The authors argue that not only is climate change eroding one of the most vibrant real estate markets in the country, it has quietly been doing so for nearly a decade.

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 11.26.37 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 11.24.31 AM.png

If the seas are rising why did Obama buy a 14 million dollar waterfront home ? It’s funny but where I fish the tide comes in and it goes back out but the average high tide mark is still the same as it was 30 years ago. 

1 hour ago, MaxKatt said:

While you're joking about an existential crisis, real estate values are already into a decade long drop, and insurers who bet on this stuff as a science for a living know exactly what the score is.  

Yeah, Real Estate is at a 4 decade low in NYC because of Cuomo and DeBlasio, having nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with their Leftist policies. It costs four times as much to rent a U Haul in California going to Texas as it does to rent one in Texas going to California. 

The only thing wrong with this country right now is Democrats...that's it.

14 mins ago, TFLT said:

If the seas are rising why did Obama buy a 14 million dollar waterfront home ? It’s funny but where I fish the tide comes in and it goes back out but the average high tide mark is still the same as it was 30 years ago. 

but but but Obama....

13 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Yeah, Real Estate is at a 4 decade low in NYC because of Cuomo and DeBlasio, having nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with their Leftist policies. It costs four times as much to rent a U Haul in California going to Texas as it does to rent one in Texas going to California. 

The only thing wrong with this country right now is Democrats...that's it.

Yeah.  Maybe you're right.  Insurance industry is probably in bed with the deep state intentionally trying to sink their business as some part of a global conspiracy.

Good on you for not being fooled.  Stay on it.  

1 hour ago, MaxKatt said:

Yeah.  Maybe you're right.  Insurance industry is probably in bed with the deep state intentionally trying to sink their business as some part of a global conspiracy.

Good on you for not being fooled.  Stay on it.  

Great non-answer. Whatever Dude.

2 hours ago, TFLT said:

It’s funny but where I fish the tide comes in and it goes back out but the average high tide mark is still the same as it was 30 years ago. 

actually, it's 4 inches higher.  we're doomed.

2 mins ago, RockRonin said:

Great non-answer. Whatever Dude.

Your post made zero sense.

The study addressed falling house sales and prices in Florida, which with all it's high price low lying residential property is the first to become the focus of rising waters.  

It had nothing to do with NYC, and I don't even know that the data you cite there is accurate at all.  

Prior to the Pandemic, towers were (and still are as I look at the cranes all over the skyline) going up in NYC and foreigners were buying multi-million dollar condos there just to park/hide their money as a solid investment even though they had no intention of actually staying there. 

My Mother is in a place on the Upperwest Side that she got in for $750k in '99.  I think they are $1.8M now.

A quick Google further indicates your statement "Real Estate is at a 4 decade low in NYC" is incorrect.  To be clear, you're claiming Manhattan real estate is less valuable now than in 1980.  

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 3.33.13 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 3.33.59 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-10-14 at 3.35.28 PM.png

21 hours ago, ifishthebadspots said:

Also, when will all the fun ocean fish come up here from FL?

Already happening.

When I started fishing offshore in the late 1970s, dolphin were taken from time to time, but largely by accident.  You might troll some up in the canyon, oir in a patch of warm, blue water that spun off of the Gulf Stream, and you would make a pass by float or lobster buoys, but when you caught one, it was largely by accident.  Now, you can go out and target them with the expectation that you'll probably catch.

We had a fairly good shot of king mackerel off Long Island this year.  Not good enough that we could target them, but quite a few were still caught.

Cobia are becoming more and more common.

I do a lot of shark fishing, and my friends and I saw quite a few blacktips/spinners this year.  There was a bull shark taken from the beach in Nassau County.

And fish don't have to come all the way from Florida.  The recent abundance of black sea bass is tied directly to warming waters; black sea bass recruitment is better when they have warm, saltier water on the shelf where they spend their first winter.  That's happening.  And warming waters have already shifted the center of abundance of both black sea bass and summer flounder farther north.  That's not just opinion; it's good science, in the most recent stock assessments for both species.

Warming, rising oceans are a scientific reality.  People can choose to politicize and try toi deny that reality, but one of the nice things about science is that even if you choose not to believe it, it's still true.

And anyone who spends time on the water has observed that reality for themselves, whether they want to admit it or not.

Edited by CWitek

3 hours ago, CWitek said:

Already happening.

When I started fishing offshore in the late 1970s, dolphin were taken from time to time, but largely by accident.  You might troll some up in the canyon, oir in a patch of warm, blue water that spun off of the Gulf Stream, and you would make a pass by float or lobster buoys, but when you caught one, it was largely by accident.  Now, you can go out and target them with the expectation that you'll probably catch.

We had a fairly good shot of king mackerel off Long Island this year.  Not good enough that we could target them, but quite a few were still caught.

Cobia are becoming more and more common.

I do a lot of shark fishing, and my friends and I saw quite a few blacktips/spinners this year.  There was a bull shark taken from the beach in Nassau County.

And fish don't have to come all the way from Florida.  The recent abundance of black sea bass is tied directly to warming waters; black sea bass recruitment is better when they have warm, saltier water on the shelf where they spend their first winter.  That's happening.  And warming waters have already shifted the center of abundance of both black sea bass and summer flounder farther north.  That's not just opinion; it's good science, in the most recent stock assessments for both species.

Warming, rising oceans are a scientific reality.  People can choose to politicize and try toi deny that reality, but one of the nice things about science is that even if you choose not to believe it, it's still true.

And anyone who spends time on the water has observed that reality for themselves, whether they want to admit it or not.

I'm with you on all of this, I'm just saying, for someone that likes to fish this probably has some positives.