ACFishing

Casting egg for Albies

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

I was in Long Island and popped into White waters and saw something I don't see too often in shops around me, Casting eggs. I immediately picked one up as I've seen just how affective they are for Albie's and just could never find them around me. What pound leaders do ya'll use, length of leader? Flies ya'll use? How to work the casting egg? Im very new to this and am intrigued as to putting this setup for Albie's  

10-15 lb leader for Albies.  20-40 lb for striped bass.  18-36 inches long.  Presentations are left up to you - flies to bucktails to soft plastics to Dead eels.

I have been using a wooden casting egg attached to a 2 ounce Deadly Dick and different metals and have caught Blues and Stripers with it.. What I like is that my lures don't sink to the bottom after I cast them and if they are on the heavy side they will sink very slowly and while sinking I have caught monster fish...

21 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I have been using a wooden casting egg attached to a 2 ounce Deadly Dick and different metals and have caught Blues and Stripers with it.. What I like is that my lures don't sink to the bottom after I cast them and if they are on the heavy side they will sink very slowly and while sinking I have caught monster fish...

Wow, Never heard of people using casting eggs with deadly dicks, That's a first for me

Albies tend to eat small baitfish, so a 2-3" feather/fly works well. The purpose of the heavy float is to get distance on a small, light lure that you wouldn't be able to cast far on its own. Lightest line you can get away with on the leader, I'd say, based on the size fish and water clarity. They pull hard.

17 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

AND because of this post I just ordered 250 wooden eggs that are 2 inches by 1 3/8 inches for about 30 bucks...

Any idea on what that size will weigh?

4 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

Any idea on what that size will weigh?

Maybe an ounce or an ounce and a half.. And I usually drill through the center of the egg and install a stainless steel piece of wire with twisted eyes...On the top eye is use a swivel and on the bottom eye a clip..

Edited by sytheteacher

What size wire.  

I'd love to start making these.   I bought a few this year and really like them. 

I was even using them with a fat killie & squid strip in shallow water 

1 hour ago, DZ said:

10-15 lb leader for Albies.  20-40 lb for striped bass.  18-36 inches long.  Presentations are left up to you - flies to bucktails to soft plastics to Dead eels.

Hmm.. I would like to go lite but honestly ill be too worried about my leader breaking especially at 10-15 pound line, 20 work?

26 mins ago, PSegnatelli said:

What size wire.  

I'd love to start making these.   I bought a few this year and really like them. 

I was even using them with a fat killie & squid strip in shallow water 

I use the Harbor Freight one pound role of stainless wire...Or old bicycle spokes 

Edited by sytheteacher

11 mins ago, ACFishing said:

Hmm.. I would like to go lite but honestly ill be too worried about my leader breaking especially at 10-15 pound line, 20 work?

It’ll only work if the Albies will take your offering - they can be very line shy.  

I have always used 20lb fluorocarbon with a long leader with my Tough Bubble, probably about 6-7'.  With some brands of Fluoro, the 20 lb is the same thickness as 15lb.  I use a white soft plastic shad body, either 1 or 2 inches long.  If they won't hit the 2", they most likely will hit the 1" especially if they are on small 1" bay anchovies. 

4 hours ago, isleomaniac said:

I have always used 20lb fluorocarbon with a long leader with my Tough Bubble, probably about 6-7'.  With some brands of Fluoro, the 20 lb is the same thickness as 15lb.  I use a white soft plastic shad body, either 1 or 2 inches long.  If they won't hit the 2", they most likely will hit the 1" especially if they are on small 1" bay anchovies. 

Where do you get these small swim shads this size?

Also, small (as in 2" long) clarks trolling spoons. Only issue I ever had was that several times (down in the juno beach area of FL), I had large 20+ lb jacks trying to eat the wooden egg instead of the spoon....But I've caught spanish macs, albies, jacks, etc down in FL....Only used it for stripers up here in NE, with decent success...It's not my number one trick in the back...but it's useful when fish are on tiny bait, and the fish are cruising beyond range to cast small offerings