KeysKid

Cold Spring inlet

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Just wondering if we still have access to the jetty?  I used to fish this area a whole bunch about 10-15 years ago.

Pulled into the lot last weekend and saw trail access to beach was roped off.  
Did they make another way in perhaps or did we get screwed?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't fished there but gonna chime in anyway.  I'm quite a bit North of you but if it's anything like up this way, the surf fisherman has been put out of their haunts like a mangy dog.  What used to free parking is now pay with a credit card and a spot number at a digital parking meter. Signs are all over not just saying "no tresspassing", they feel the need to post signs that say "ABSOLUTELY no tresspassing".  I hope it's not that way for your sake down there but I wouldn't be surprised.  Makes me sick. Apparently surf fishing has turned into being a crime!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 mins ago, AH Perry said:

Haven't fished there but gonna chime in anyway.  I'm quite a bit North of you but if it's anything like up this way, the surf fisherman has been put out of their haunts like a mangy dog.  What used to free parking is now pay with a credit card and a spot number at a digital parking meter. Signs are all over not just saying "no tresspassing", they feel the need to post signs that say "ABSOLUTELY no tresspassing".  I hope it's not that way for your sake down there but I wouldn't be surprised.  Makes me sick. Apparently surf fishing has turned into being a crime!

I fish at a few places where I regularly see empty beer cans, DD containers, fishing line etc.  I would kick fisherman out too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, sinfish said:

I fish at a few places where I regularly see empty beer cans, DD containers, fishing line etc.  I would kick fisherman out too.

Ya know something, you're absolutely right. It's always a few bad seeds that ruin it for everyone. I'm the fool who actually picks up old fishing line when I see it. 

 

Sorry, don't wanna hijack the thread. Hope you get an actual answer KeysKid to your question about Cold Spring Inlet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, KeysKid said:

Just wondering if we still have access to the jetty?  I used to fish this area a whole bunch about 10-15 years ago.

Pulled into the lot last weekend and saw trail access to beach was roped off.  
Did they make another way in perhaps or did we get screwed?

 

Not sure if possible reason. Not been by there in boat for sometime 

 

https://www.nap.usace.army.mil/Missions/Factsheets/Fact-Sheet-Article-View/Article/490830/cold-spring-cape-may-inlet/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole stretch of beach and jetty is closed.  This is a big fight that we are losing, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I also don't want to see any fishermen get in trouble as it is federal land...

 

"The U. S. Coast Guard property, which sits on the southern boundary of Cape May NWR's Two Mile Beach Unit, is now closed to the public as well as all trails leading from the refuge to the beach and jetty area. The U.S. Coast Guard, Department of Homeland Security closed their beach primarily for safety and liability reasons. There are no safeguards, lifeguards or safety infrastructure as is required for safe access. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service closed the trail that accesses the Coast Guard property to promote public safety and reduce confusion." 

 

https://www.fws.gov/refuge/cape_may/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

The whole stretch of beach and jetty is closed.  This is a big fight that we are losing, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I also don't want to see any fishermen get in trouble as it is federal land...

That might be the flattest surf down here. And it does suck that the Coast Guard manages both of those jetties. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, FunkyBunker said:

That might be the flattest surf down here. And it does suck that the Coast Guard manages both of those jetties. 

Yeah wouldn't personally fish that sand, but I'd spend some time on those jetties for tog triggers and bass if I were allowed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/22/2020 at 6:04 AM, KeysKid said:

Yessir.   How u been Phil? Nice to see u still around 

 

 

Wow! Been a long time. Yes still around. Still fishing. I haven't been out to the jetty in a couple years. We had great fishing there for a few years around 2014 to 2016 or so. But it seemed to have fallen off substantially and now access is an issue. Although that never stopped us before lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/12/2020 at 3:13 PM, sinfish said:

I fish at a few places where I regularly see empty beer cans, DD containers, fishing line etc.  I would kick fisherman out too.

You're not wrong but how enforcing the laws and ticketing those littering and not excising those not making a mess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.