Aluminum Boat Hierarchy?

Rate this topic

ermghoti

5 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Replacing a rotten wood transom in a tin boat is pretty simple in most models.

I have a 1974 mirrocraft.  Yeah 56 years old and still going strong..  use in salt and fresh.  Rivets never leaked.

Replaced the wood transom twice.  Last time I used an azek board and diamond plate. Should be good forever.

Yeah, my co-worker rebuilt one of his Sea Nymphs, i doesn't seem to be that tough a project. There are a couple of what appear to be Mirrocrafts available for cheap (that bent brace between the hull and seat). There's a Duranautic Offshore 14'  with a 15hp Honda in Maine, he wants $3k ish.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

Aluminum boats are like floating anodes. You should wash with soap and freshwater for sure including flushing the outboard but also look into replacing anodes with zinc ones. Most are going to come with the freshwater variant version (magnesium). How can you tell if it has the correct anodes? look at the head boats for any white dust. If the bolts are made of zinc and if they are corroding, the anodes are not doing their job.

Still, you are pushing that boat to corrode ever minute the outboard or electric motor is running in saltwater.  If taken cared of, saltwater will have less of an effect but if neglected it can move quick to corrode. 

So, do look for a deal. ...and your deal will likely be someone that has used it in salt because most folks that know better are looking for a salt-free boat.

Brands? Lund, Alumacraft, and Crestliner would be at the top of my list. Sylvan/Starcraft/Polarkraft and some others are OK too for the right price. I would also consider a Tracker if it was offered at no less than 75% off, includes high quality life jackets, and includes a SeaTow membership. 

Edited by NHAngler

12 mins ago, Bigfootgrey said:

A roller trailer is great for shallow ramps     A aluminum boat that sits on a saltwater soaked carpeted bunk trailer can get pinholes over time. Something to check out

I was thinking I'd jack it up and cover the bunks while it's parked. That struck me as a serious concern.

Massachusetts EPO:

1-800-632-8075

2 hours ago, deep diver said:

look at a Sea Ark, i like mine. bare bones, welded and i replaced the carpeted boards with these 

Ultimate Bunk Boards

I did the same but made mine out of cutting board plastic aka high-density polyethylene plastic.

boat slides on and off real easy 

Edited by J

I fish fine

look stupid 

I had an 18' Lund Alaskan with a 40 HP Honda tiller that I fished for several years. Loved the boat and I put a lot of hours on it. Noticed what looked like small burn spots along the outer, bottom edge of the transom. Factory rep came down from Vermont one day, looked at the spots and said that it was due to the chemicals used to pressure treat the wood plank that the motor mounted on. He told me to take it to any Lund dealer at the end of the season and Lund would pick it up at the end of the their boat show season, take it to the factory, rebuild the transom and deliver it back to the same dealer in the spring at no charge. Worked for me.

On 10/19/2020 at 3:30 PM, Bigfootgrey said:

A roller trailer is great for shallow ramps     A aluminum boat that sits on a saltwater soaked carpeted bunk trailer can get pinholes over time. Something to check out

This is true. The bunks are made of treated wood and when you add salt it causes a reaction that rots holes in the boat. I covered the carpeted  bunks on my trailer with the plastic covers. No issues......

You can use those plastic slider add ons too. Just get the boat off of the carpet and you will be fine. Also.....if there is a battery on the boat, do not ground it to the boat. That causes corrosion also. Just neg and pos. No ground....you can use a circuit breaker or inline fuses to mitigate electrical issues. 

Edited by aae0130

“Shall not be infringed” was the “talk to the hand” of that period. (Me 2022)

On 10/20/2020 at 0:37 PM, dcobbett said:

I had an 18' Lund Alaskan with a 40 HP Honda tiller that I fished for several years. Loved the boat and I put a lot of hours on it. Noticed what looked like small burn spots along the outer, bottom edge of the transom. Factory rep came down from Vermont one day, looked at the spots and said that it was due to the chemicals used to pressure treat the wood plank that the motor mounted on. He told me to take it to any Lund dealer at the end of the season and Lund would pick it up at the end of the their boat show season, take it to the factory, rebuild the transom and deliver it back to the same dealer in the spring at no charge. Worked for me.

Lund finally got it and started installing composite transom in 2017. My 2015 Alaskan is in Minnesota now having a composite transom installed on Lund. Patiently waiting it’s return!

On 10/15/2020 at 3:07 PM, Paulie Herman said:

I used to tow my 18' Starcraft CC with a 2 wd 4cy Toyota pick-up.  Fished salt H20.  Really liked that boat.  Had a 60 hp evinrude.  Look at your towing capacity to figure out your max.  Having a boat that you can stand-up in and fish goes a long way toward comfort.  

One of these?

1AEE801F-2C83-4C3B-9518-2B2907A8F80B.jpeg

You’re not some crazy uncle you know!

I'm so glad I don't live in the fact-less bizarro world you live in...just sayin'.