ermghoti

Aluminum Boat Hierarchy?

Rate this topic

67 posts in this topic

I have a 4cyl RAV4 and a small yard. I've been kicking around the idea of getting a boat, and a coworker with considerable experience highly recommends a well-used 14' tiller steer aluminum skiff, as minimal as possible, i.e. no deck, etc. He makes a sound argument.

That said, there are obviously a bunch of brands. I gather the A list includes Lund, Sea Nymph, Grumman, Duranautic, Starcraft(?) I believe the B list includes, Spectrum, Sylvan, Princecraft(?) etc. Am I off? What others am I missing? I've seen Mirrocraft cited as a preferred brand, and as a secondary brand. I'm cheap, so Quintrex or whatever is out even if I could find one, thinking of a couple grand or so.

Also, I'm told they don't make them like they used to. When exactly, was "used to?"

I have an 18ft Quintrex with a 100hp 4 stroke yamaha outboard and can tow it sparingly with my AWD CRV. Would be better off with something that has a higher tow rating, but the point is don't count out something a little bigger if you find a great deal.

I found my boat for a steeeeaaaallll on CL, just have to keep your eyes open and be ready to go for a test float. Good luck!

2 hours ago, John P said:

What will you use the boat for ,Salt or fresh?  Some are better than others for salt .

Mostly salt.

2 hours ago, Kphresh said:

I have an 18ft Quintrex with a 100hp 4 stroke yamaha outboard and can tow it sparingly with my AWD CRV. Would be better off with something that has a higher tow rating, but the point is don't count out something a little bigger if you find a great deal.

I found my boat for a steeeeaaaallll on CL, just have to keep your eyes open and be ready to go for a test float. Good luck!

I'm also concerned about maintenance/hidden corrosion, backing a trailer on my little street with people parking on it into my non-existent driveway, which is essentially a cart path, meaning the sweeping turns required for steering would tear up my lawn.

I had seen a 17' Quintrex CC for a bit over my price range, but manageable, and I got all twitchy for a while.

2 hours ago, nicknotsebastian said:

if quintrex is out ($$) i’d look for a lund.

I understand Lund is up there.

I haven't had a aluminum boat since I was a teenager.  It was a really small 9 fter used in the salt water of LIS. Not for fishing,but fun.  In those years they were not really very good in the salt, rivets would loosen up with the pounding we gave it.  I see a lot of Lund boats in the lower CT river area which is partially salt and seem to be pretty good.

Salt is no problem, aluminum will oxidize a bit in salt but that is no issue. If you find an aluminum that is welded and not riveted that is better since you won't have to worry about loose rivets...

As far as not being able to trailer, find a high and dry marina. Your boat will never sit in the water and most of them give the hull a rinse when you take it out so corrosion will be minimal if any. You'll pay a bit more than a wet slip, but if you're going to own a boat you have to consider these options. Spend a bit on things like that and potentially save yourself a lot of chedda later...

1 hour ago, Kphresh said:

Salt is no problem, aluminum will oxidize a bit in salt but that is no issue. If you find an aluminum that is welded and not riveted that is better since you won't have to worry about loose rivets...

As far as not being able to trailer, find a high and dry marina. Your boat will never sit in the water and most of them give the hull a rinse when you take it out so corrosion will be minimal if any. You'll pay a bit more than a wet slip, but if you're going to own a boat you have to consider these options. Spend a bit on things like that and potentially save yourself a lot of chedda later...

I'm actually thinking I'll trailer, but I'll have to do the final parking either human powered with a manual (probably not) or small electric dolly. At least, until/unless I feel like paving my driveway. Come to think of it, I can probably sink a support for a winch easier than anything else.

9 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

A 14 to 16 ft mod V hull with a 25 hp tiller is no problem to tow or move by hand.  Get a two wheel set up on your trailer tongue with real wheels to make it easy.

Problem is, the tongue wheels, and possibly one trailer wheel, would be on grass.

38 mins ago, ermghoti said:

Problem is, the tongue wheels, and possibly one trailer wheel, would be on grass.

That is what I meant.  Get a dolly.

On level ground you can move it by hand easy 

I have a 16 ft MirroCraft with console and 25 JohnnyRude Tracker on it.  Two Electric TM and full deck.  It is much heavier than what you are proposing.

I added a dual wheel swing down heavy jack to the trailer which means I can heave it around without fear of my jack snapping or bending.

If I really need to move it I would use a dolly 

Each can be had for less than 100.00 

555-79018.jpg

69779_W3.jpg

5 mins ago, Captain Ahab said:

I have a 16 ft MirroCraft with console and 25 JohnnyRude Tracker on it.  Two Electric TM and full deck.  It is much heavier than what you are proposing.

I added a dual wheel swing down heavy jack to the trailer which means I can heave it around without fear of my jack snapping or bending.

If I really need to move it I would use a dolly 

Each can be had for less than 100.00 

555-79018.jpg

69779_W3.jpg

Nice, I had seen the dollies around. They are sold by weight capacity, do you know if that is total weight or tongue weight?

I have a 14' tiller type "generations" aluminum boat with rivets and a 15" transom. Great boat and i use it well. It's a 30 year old boat with no leaks and no transom rot. Original transom board.

I have a new 14' alumacraft which has no  wood in the transom. After my good experience with rivets, I saved money and went with it again. 

If you beat your aluminum boat, you'll crack your welds or pop your rivets. Your choice, similar results.

I like a 20" transom and no wood. 

I tow my package behind my Kia Sportage. No issues at the ramp or on the road.

If shopping for a motor - a complete package.... go new boat with 20" transom. 

Do your research re construction for salt water use.