jjdbike

Souse Vide: 1st attempt - wings

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Just wanted to try it. Wings were on the menu anyway. Kind of a last min decision. Tossed in marinade of diced red onion, cider vinegar, Prudhomme poultry magic, a good shot of Frank’s wing sauce, a little shot of Tobasco  chipotle & lime juice. Vac packed w/ marinade. In stock pot w/ warm water on stove top. My original intent was 2 hours at 160. Set souse vide (or so I thought) & turned on range to help get to temp quickly. Once at temp I turned off stovetop. Later I noticed the temp was dropping. After fiddling around too long I figured I hadn’t pushed start on souse vide machine. Duh, classic guy not reading directions. Once I hit start enough time had elapsed I had to speed things up. Kicked it up to 170, for an hour. Took out and dried well w/ paper towels. If I had more time, I’d have let dry uncovered in fridge for 8 hours or so.

Two small sauce pans, one w/ butter, Franks & crushed fresh garlic, a shot of Tobasco chipotle. The other w/ Kansas City style bbq sauce, liquid smoke and some McCormick BBQ seasoning. Tossed half in each.

On cooling rack over foil lined cookie sheet on broil, roughly 5 mins on each side.

Done, delicious, pretty easy.

In retrospect, I’d have marinated longer (overnight), souse vide 160 for two hours, dried uncovered in fridge for a day. Done a few mins on each side in broiler to crisp skin 1st, then toss in preheated sauce & back in broiler. 
JD

I dunno, seems like a lot of hassle for wings that should take 40 minutes in the oven.

I am still not convinced with this sous vide thing, and wings are likely the last thing I would use it for.

1 hour ago, Steve in Mass said:

I dunno, seems like a lot of hassle for wings that should take 40 minutes in the oven.

I am still not convinced with this sous vide thing, and wings are likely the last thing I would use it for.

Tend to agree. SV is great for some things like thick pork chops, tenderizing cheap beef, turkey breast and even some vegetables like carrots.  I haven’t tried wings. 

2 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

1 hour ago, JimW said:

Tend to agree. SV is great for some things like thick pork chops, tenderizing cheap beef, turkey breast and even some vegetables like carrots.  I haven’t tried wings. 

Just wanted to try it and wings were already on the menu.

Just sharing the process and result.

It's just another tool, or perhaps toy. Not suggesting it was the best or right way. I'm certainly not trying to sell anyone a sous vide machine or convince anyone it's needed or better than anything else. 

I will say, all things considered, the wings were certainly cooked through evenly and extremely moist and tender. Vac packing w/out marinade is quick & easy. The souse vide is so plug and play. Walk away for an our or two, no need to monitor. Only thing needed was searing, i.e. broil, grill or torch, to crisp skin. 

JD

38 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Just wanted to try it and wings were already on the menu.

Just sharing the process and result.

It's just another tool, or perhaps toy. Not suggesting it was the best or right way. I'm certainly not trying to sell anyone a sous vide machine or convince anyone it's needed or better than anything else. 

I will say, all things considered, the wings were certainly cooked through evenly and extremely moist and tender. Vac packing w/out marinade is quick & easy. The souse vide is so plug and play. Walk away for an our or two, no need to monitor. Only thing needed was searing, i.e. broil, grill or torch, to crisp skin. 

JD

I might have to try wings.  Maybe quick deep fry to crisp.  I just put a 4lb top round roast on.  24  hours 133F.   

Hey JJ,

I'm sure they were good. Sous vide makes it really tough to lose.

Try lots of things. The control that you get is really the key to the thing. I watched the butcher guy, Scott Rea, and it's interesting that he said that he uses it every day.

"What gets measured, gets managed."

Cooking at temps below the 1 second at that temp gov. recommended temps, really opens up superior results in terms of moisture. So more time at a given temp that is lower than the gov one second time is still just as safe as safe as the 1 sec. temp, as long as the additional time is ok.  Then you have texture.  A longer cook gives you softer texture, until you have pull apart texture at the longer end. It's slow and gives you room.

Here is something you could try that is in tune with current threads.

Try deboning a chicken, rolling it with a stuffing, salting the skin and letting it dry over night then cooking sous vide at 145 for 5 hrs., then drying it and crisping at 500 till light brown. It should be very moist and still crisp.

Thanks for sharing. Love my sous vide, but wings would be the last thing I put in it. Only things I do is pork chop or beef steaks for 1-3 hrs for perfect temp or large tough roasts, shanks, etc for 8-24 hr. 

For wings there’s a steaming method that gets them tender and renders fat out so you can bake them real hot to crisp up at the end. I think it’s a Good Eats Alton Brown trick. I’ve done it and it works well if you want to get fancy with the wings and not fry to get crispy.

Edited by Johnsmyname

My experience with sous viding early on was with spices as you mentioned doesnt penetrate into the protein. I found out that the only spice that actually penetrated deep was salt. I have tried wings. & it does make for a slightly tender texture internally. 

12 hours ago, BrianBM said:

It's "sous" vide, not "souse," you mad tinker dolt. But I'm glad it came out well. :)  :p

I know.... I'm spelling challenged.

Vac packed some baby carrots, butter, s&p, fresh parsley and a splash of honey. 183 for an hour than reduce the content of the bag and caramelized in skillet. 

Smoked meatloaf and mashed redskins on side.

The carrots were really great. Loved the texture. Cooked w/ out being mushy at all.

I shall continue to tinker :  )

JD

IMG_0064.jpeg

IMG_0065.jpeg

What on earth are you talking about?

This is a food thread in a food forum of a fishing website.

There has been ZERO talk of politics, especially communism.

How did that contribute to this thread?

JD