bechill11

Advice on surf rod

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

I have been using a CTS Vapertrail 1-3oz and ODM Custom built Genesis 1-4oz. Not a negative thing to say about either rod. ODM is a bit more verstitle. The Vaportrial is more of a 3/4 - 2oz in my opinion. Both blanks are fairly light in the tip but have good power.

I think it comes down to how much you wanna spend. Check out the ODM DNA rods, quality build and materials for the money! I just bought the 8ft last month and may pick up the 10ft pretty soon.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a 9 foot Arra 1-4 and a 10 foot Mojo 1-4. The mojo is heavier in weight than the arra but works great for my fishing and compliments my 9 foot setup well so worth a look I would say. A little easier on the wallet too. 

Edited by surfstryker

On 10/12/2020 at 10:15 AM, bechill11 said:

My apologies lighter in weight. 1-3 ounce . I prob rather have 10ft

Your current setup is as comfortable as surf fishing gets.  So, having good quality rods, (Lami, Fisher, Rainshadow, GLoomis, St. Croix, Kunnan (well, maybe not quality but I don't think you can buy it from me and if you do, you got robbed) . Anyway, own 6' through 11' surf rods, the 9' Fisher works 70% of the time, the 7' Kunnan about 20% and the 10' St. Croix about 10%, the other dozen rods look good hanging up. 

If money is not an issue and your itchy, look at ODM but maybe consider a different reel. Unless your swimming or dunking, a Shimano or Daiwa will amaze you compared to the VS or ZBaas.

But, shortly you'll own too many rods but you'll have your favorites, the others collect dust. The trick is to buy a favorite every time, it doesn't happen.

I use an ODM Frontier X 10'6" 3/4-4oz and it's light as a feather, throws 1.5-2oz tins a clean 100 yards. I can't speak highly enough of this rod, but it was a little pricey.

It would balance well with your 150 Van Staal too.

ODM Evolution is great but it’s pretty pricey. Black hole rods look good and are generally pretty light. RH Customs makes some pretty light offerings as well.

I appreciate all the input from you guys.  I am really getting interested in checking out the odm.  Not that money isn't an issue but my thinking is I work so much like most of us do or have before retiring and I spend no money on anything other than bills like we all do and my interests have changed over the years and now all i really enjoy doing is fishing compared to other activities so Im thinking why not get what I really want one more time lol.  Seems like all these rods around 300-400 anyway so whats another 200-300.  Also while I have you guys here I love the waders I use.  The wading shoes are the problem.  THey're probably cheap I dont remember the cost or where I got them from to be honest. May have been a gift. They have a felt bottom. so much sand gets in them and take a long time to dry.  I was hoping to find something that is more like a shoe/boot.  and while we're at it which gloves do you like that will let you cast with a bailless real. Thanks guys

Also do the Odm rods only come in 2 piece? I should have mentioned I have a mental block and I do not like buying two piece rods.  Would only want a 1 piece.

35 mins ago, bechill11 said:

Also do the Odm rods only come in 2 piece? I should have mentioned I have a mental block and I do not like buying two piece rods.  Would only want a 1 piece.

yea unless you pay someone to build a custom.  i was really thinking about getting an odm but the lack of stock 1 piece really turned me off.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I used Korkers Buckskin and don’t have much issue with sand. You get a little sometimes but not enough to make it uncomfortable.

ODM Nex1 and Evolution are both 1 piece. I love my 10’ Evo. Looks like they now do a 9’ rated 1/2-4oz as well.

edit - as poster said above you would have to have somebody build it for you for both of the blanks I mentioned above. RH Customs did mine.

Edited by dbech

Everyone is going to have their own opinion. I fish St Croix rods mostly, and they are the best rods on earth. But I have a 10' mojo and an 8' triumph and the weight difference between the rod and the bigger reel for the 10' is noticeable. If I'm out back, or if casting distance isn't an issue and I'm using lighter lures (I think the mojo is 3/4-4 oz and the triumph 1/2-2 oz) I usually just use the 8'. Tire out less quickly.

4 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Everyone is going to have their own opinion. I fish St Croix rods mostly, and they are the best rods on earth. But I have a 10' mojo and an 8' triumph and the weight difference between the rod and the bigger reel for the 10' is noticeable. If I'm out back, or if casting distance isn't an issue and I'm using lighter lures (I think the mojo is 3/4-4 oz and the triumph 1/2-2 oz) I usually just use the 8'. Tire out less quickly.

Im a huge st croix fanboy mostly just freshwater.  My 8' ben doerr is still my 1st choice when i dont expect to throw anything bigger than an sp minnow.  Their saltwater stuff really doesnt compare to some of the non commercial type brands like odm century, black hole etc.  I just jumped in looking to replace my 1083arra and cant believe the pricing and lack of 1piece off the shelf options for surf fishing around here (NJ).  Theres no way id ever pay $300+ for a 2 piece rod