Could 17lb max drag turn a big striper in current?

Rate this topic

dae2fish

Also to be considered is your line. Are you fishing braid? No give at all like mono. When I fished mono I almost never gave the fish some rod, with braid I find myself backing off a bit a little more often, and giving the fish a little more rod .

BLM - Bass Lives MatterĀ 

Race - human like everyone else

48 mins ago, albacized said:

To be honest, of all the spinning reels I have, the only reels I can pull line off with the drag fully torqued are my two VSX 150 Van Staals. I've never measured the drag pressure on these reels...but I'm guessing they are sub 17 lbs

Ever think about or feel the need to upgrade those 150's? Just got one and haven't tested it yet on drag worthy fish.Ā 

troll #122Ā Ā <*)))<

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Ever think about or feel the need to upgrade those 150's? Just got one and haven't tested it yet on drag worthy fish.Ā 

I noticed that Van Staal is now offering some kind of 'power' drag knobs for the VSX series...I'm trying to find out if increased drag pressure is one of the benefits. But I'm not really too disappointed with the drag performance regardless...I can mostly get what I want out of the amount of drag it offers. I would only be concerned if I had to do something like stop in big fish in the canal.Ā 

Ā 

Ā But for smaller (slot sized) stripers, bluefish, albies, etc, it works just fine. And the reel is otherwise bulletproof

Edited by albacized

13 hours ago, Russ57 said:

IMHO it is a mistake to lock down the drag and use it to turn a fish.Ā  I'd suggest setting the drag around 25-33% of the actual line/knot breaking strength and leaving it there.Ā  When it becomes necessary to apply more power to turn/stop a fish, cup the spool.Ā  Just know the limits of the blank and/or keep the rod tip close to pointing at the fish.

Ā 

I think what you are suggesting is likely to end up damaging a very nice reel.Ā  It just isn't what reels are made to do.Ā  Especially spinning reels.

Ā 

Maybe for those tough fishing conditions you should consider adding a conventional reel to the arsenal?Ā  I find it a lot easier to put a thumb on the spool and pump the fish away from cover.Ā  When he heads the other way, I reward good behavior, and let him run:)

Ā 

The drag on a reel is there to be used. :rolleyes:

Ā 

You have far less consistent control of drag pressure using your hand or thumb.

22 hours ago, dae2fish said:

Currently, I'm using a 2016 Certate HD4000H on a Mojo Surf 9fter. I like the reelĀ a lot. Silky smooth, light weight (14oz), good line capacity (almost 300yds of 40lb test), mag seals, but the max drag is only 17lb. The biggest striperĀ I caught on it so far was a 35 incher and it handled it well. However, I don't know how it will handle bigger fish, especially in current and around structure. IĀ fish a lot on the rocks underneath some local bridges and in these spots you have to lock down the drag andĀ turn the fish quicklyĀ before theyĀ run your line into the pilings. I don't know if I should keep this reel or sell it and look for something stronger.

the manufacturers cause a lot of confusion by stating the lbs of drag.

it is misleading and does not really mean much at all.

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

4 mins ago, codfish said:

We run and gun for tuna with 18lb being the drag for starters, eventually we bring it to 24lbs:)

Ā 

Hooking a fish in open water and hooking a fish tight to structure are two totally different things.

Ā 

How much drag would you use if tuna dove into wrecks, swam circles around barnacle covered bridge pylons, and jagged reefs immediately upon hook up?????Ā :)

2 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

This.Ā 
Ā 

i usually Set my drag by if I can pull it out without hurting my hand. Thatā€™s probably 8lbs maxĀ 

So true. For comparison I used to set my 50 W Penns to 17# of drag for tuna and shark fishing. I fished the bridges at night by casting plugs slightly up current from the pilings and letting plug swim in front of pilings. It was stop em or pop em. I don't think I ever cranked it down to 17#s. Pull it out with a scale, I think you will be surprised to find how hard it is. Don't pull directly from the reel, pull from a bent rod. Watch out for your rod.