dae2fish

Could 17lb max drag turn a big striper in current?

Rate this topic

94 posts in this topic

Currently, I'm using a 2016 Certate HD4000H on a Mojo Surf 9fter. I like the reel a lot. Silky smooth, light weight (14oz), good line capacity (almost 300yds of 40lb test), mag seals, but the max drag is only 17lb. The biggest striper I caught on it so far was a 35 incher and it handled it well. However, I don't know how it will handle bigger fish, especially in current and around structure. I fish a lot on the rocks underneath some local bridges and in these spots you have to lock down the drag and turn the fish quickly before they run your line into the pilings. I don't know if I should keep this reel or sell it and look for something stronger.

Edited by dae2fish
changed the title

Most people on here will tell you no way but I’m here to tell you yes way. Most fish are landed on 10-12lbs of drag max. Let the rod do the work. 

by the way the reel has way more drag than 17lbs.

IMHO it is a mistake to lock down the drag and use it to turn a fish.  I'd suggest setting the drag around 25-33% of the actual line/knot breaking strength and leaving it there.  When it becomes necessary to apply more power to turn/stop a fish, cup the spool.  Just know the limits of the blank and/or keep the rod tip close to pointing at the fish.

I think what you are suggesting is likely to end up damaging a very nice reel.  It just isn't what reels are made to do.  Especially spinning reels.

Maybe for those tough fishing conditions you should consider adding a conventional reel to the arsenal?  I find it a lot easier to put a thumb on the spool and pump the fish away from cover.  When he heads the other way, I reward good behavior, and let him run:)

Yes sure is enough. But def not in the situation your talking about. You want max drag around bridges when a big fish raps around piling you lift the bail let the fish run for a few seconds and close bail and get tight. For the beach your fine but getting a really good fish in current around bridges your way undergunned 

Yea I'd say the rods are more important than the reels at times and that max drag doesn't really matter with most fishing applications. You'll see many companies advertise with reels with 30-50+ pounds of max drag but why does that matter when your line is fried before you even get close to max drag. Bridge fishing is a mainly a different story tho as your kinda forced to lock down to stop the fish from getting an advantage on you but even then I feel rods are more important.

8 hours ago, MikedNJ said:

Most people on here will tell you no way but I’m here to tell you yes way. Most fish are landed on 10-12lbs of drag max. Let the rod do the work. 

by the way the reel has way more drag than 17lbs.

Hey MikedNJ... do you have the 2016 Certate HD4000H? What did you mean when you said the reel has way more than 17lb drag?

10 mins ago, giant basshole said:

I think many rods would come apart under that pressure, you need a pool cue and a conventional.

Yup, 17lbs is a lot of drag. That is more than enough for smaller pelagics, nevermind striped bass under any condition. 

I don't think many people can pull line off a spool with the drag set at 17 lbs. My saltiga 4000 bay jigging spinner has a max of 22 lbs. I heard/read complaints that this was light....when I got the reel and and pinched the drag all the way down, there was no way any line was coming off that spool. From that point forward, I've stopped listening to those specific complaints...makes me wonder about some of the other stuff I read. 

6 mins ago, albacized said:

I don't think many people can pull line off a spool with the drag set at 17 lbs. My saltiga 4000 bay jigging spinner has a max of 22 lbs. I heard/read complaints that this was light....when I got the reel and and pinched the drag all the way down, there was no way any line was coming off that spool. From that point forward, I've stopped listening to those specific complaints...makes me wonder about some of the other stuff I read. 

This. 

i usually Set my drag by if I can pull it out without hurting my hand. That’s probably 8lbs max