Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 12 - Oct 19

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, albacized said:

You're right that it's mostly an albie thing for me in RI...but the exceptions are late season stripers and I do visit the breachways and never used to notice any kind of rotation, until the relatively recent past.

I don’t know, if you fish at night for bass, you’re going to have a rotation until the season is over. I fished one 3 years ago late in the season when I lived 5 min away from and the rotation was in full effect. This is the way it’s always been and the reason I don’t fish them. Even when the rotation is working, I still don’t want to wait to cast. 

To each their own, but some of these newcomers trying to tell those who were able to succcesfully pull off a fluent rotation for years is just ridiculous to me.  

Edited by rbart

25 mins ago, Milky said:

Not everyone who stands and watches is trying to steal your fish. My back is shot and I can't cast a surf rod for long before I'm in agony. I stand and watch my 14 year old fish and run interference for him when greedy adults try to squeeze him out. Occasionally I cast. 

We find our own fish and are usually the first ones out there. I'm not gonna back down and let the late arrivals squeeze him out just because he's a kid. I'll stand and hold my ground, even if not casting. I do get out of the way and share, encouraging the kid to join the rotation if it's a good one. I'm not shy about barking at the bullies who come late and try to take over and will stand on a good rock to claim it.

I have just as much right to that rock even if I can't cast nonstop.

Milky,   I wasn't talking about someone teaching a kid how to fish or anybody with a health issue that limits what they are able to do. I'll step aside for a kid that is learning anytime and offer tips just as was done for me when I was starting out. 

Pretty sad that you have to stand guard because someone loses all sense of decency over a fish. 

Just now, rbart said:

I don’t know, if you fish at night for bass, you’re going to have a rotation until the season is over. I fished one 3 years ago late in the season when I lived 5 min away from and the rotation was in full effect. This is the way it’s always been and the reason I don’t fish them. Even when the rotation is working, I still don’t want to wait to cast. 

To each their own, but some of these newcomers trying to tell those who were able to succcesfully pull off a fluent rotation for years shows is just ridiculous to me.  

I think it's more the latter point that bugs me the most...the rotation may be something I never noticed since, once i see a group of guys at the tip, I pretty much follow the etiquette that they got there first, thus they own it (I'm never the first one there, thus the reverse situation has never come into play...lol). 

A kid shouldn’t even be out there under those circumstances. 

Milky, why don’t you take him to any number of spots where sand meets rocks. He’ll catch and it’ll be more enjoyable for both of you. He’ll learn to appreciate all that comes with fishing, too. 

3 mins ago, albacized said:

I think it's more the latter point that bugs me the most...the rotation may be something I never noticed since, once i see a group of guys at the tip, I pretty much follow the etiquette that they got there first, thus they own it (I'm never the first one there, thus the reverse situation has never come into play...lol). 

Your heart is in the right place. That is the right mindset in 99% of places (I don’t need to tell you that), but the bway is the exception. No one has a right to a certain rock at the point. You need to fish a rotation for it to work properly otherwise it’d be even worse out there than it already is. 

On another note,  I haven’t seen more than one single person at night other than my fishing partner for the last 1.5 months. I swear people chase reports more than ever... which is fine by me. 

55 mins ago, rbart said:

The locals are telling you what has been done for decades. Maybe try listening and learning about NE surfcasting traditions instead of bashing people up here and going about things the way YOU want to. 

Show some respect for a fishery and a culture  that you clearly have no understanding of. 

Here’s tradition... if I get there first, your out of luck. Spot claimed. Go find your own space. I didn’t show up to take turns. However, you are there before me, I either move on or watch. I ain’t squeezing in, F’ing hate that. 

17 mins ago, rbart said:

A kid shouldn’t even be out there under those circumstances. 

Milky, why don’t you take him to any number of spots where sand meets rocks. He’ll catch and it’ll be more enjoyable for both of you. He’ll learn to appreciate all that comes with fishing, too. 

He's a big 14 year old and hardcore fishermen. Not really a kid.

Normally we don't fight the crowd but when we get there first, the crowd finds us.

Last weekend he got into the rotation and kept up like an experienced grown up.

3 mins ago, Dirty Walter said:

Here’s tradition... if I get there first, your out of luck. Spot claimed. Go find your own space. I didn’t show up to take turns. However, you are there before me, I either move on or watch. I ain’t squeezing in, F’ing hate that. 

Good luck pulling that off. That’ll get your line cut or worse. 

This is what’s wrong with society. Everyone is in it for themselves. Those guys screaming at you from across the way are doing so because they know what they’re doing works for EVERYONE.  But keep going about it your way. That should go over well. 

17 mins ago, Dirty Walter said:

Hopefully you know how to swim.

2 mins ago, ne_dan said:

Hopefully you know how to swim.

A lot of talk. You go to a grocery store, find one pineapple left and see me pick it up, do you expect me to split it in half for you too? Get your own space. So tired of ANYONE trying to squeezing me out sitting on my lap. Find your own space. Too many people caught my line yesterday. I cut them off... 

4 mins ago, Dirty Walter said:

A lot of talk. You go to a grocery store, find one pineapple left and see me pick it up, do you expect me to split it in half for you too? Get your own space. So tired of ANYONE trying to squeezing me out sitting on my lap. Find your own space. Too many people caught my line yesterday. I cut them off... 

Ok there Charles Bronson best of luck to you

Edited by ne_dan

23 mins ago, Dirty Walter said:

I see both sides of that argument. Rotation seems to be a localized thing at the BWs of RI. If you showed up late and demanded a spot almost anywhere else, you'd be laughed at or worse.

I always go by whoever gets there first everywhere else, fresh or salt.  

At those few select places in RI it's tradition and you're bucking a trend if you fight it.

Mostly I avoid the crowd which means stay off the end of BWs on the drop. I haven't been in a rotation in years, until recently, and then only because the kid is so hungry. I'm letting him get a taste of what I had back in the day.

A good rotation of reasonable number of friendly helpful guys is a beautiful thing. 

When guys abuse it, it sucks.

28 mins ago, Dirty Walter said:

And you were completely in the wrong. It’s like if you walked into a jigging line at the canal and started throwing plugs or weren’t in succinct with everyone’s drift, you’re going to have problems.
Who’s fault is that? The people who make it happen for everyone or the person who screws everyone else? 

There is no argument as far as I’m concerned. The type of fishing that’s been discussed here is a recent phenomenon.  The rotation is a staple of RI surfcasting history. Habs is probably rolling over in his grave right now, God rest his soul. 

Edited by rbart

To clarify, the local guy was having none of the rotation BS given the crowd size and how they went about it. Said crowd was not made up of locals, for them to demand things be done a certain way didn’t sit right with him. I feel sorry for people who need to bully their way to a few fish; can’t imagine how they go about their daily lives if that’s their attitude with fishing. Rotations only work with a good group of people who get it. A bunch of inexperienced individuals who quite frankly are a danger to themselves being out at night chasing reports can shove off. They don’t care about tradition, just instant gratification. Same reason why they didn’t stand out there for five hours waiting on the tide, and showed up at peak tide demanding a rotation 

For the most part I completely agree with what you said, except I can see it from the local’s point as he’s probably sick of the combat fishing that has spread from the Canal, and he’s probably at his breaking point (much like the regulars at the Canal). Pretty brazen for him to do that, especially alone. Maybe he had a few beers in him lol.

People having been screaming at each out there for years, but it was nothing like it is now, and it was actually worth enduring as you’d learn the right way. Today there’s zero respect from the newcomers and that includes every user group from poachers to wanna-be wetsuiters looking for instant gratification like you said. I mostly blame social media for that. 

I just go back to the sentiment that this is what someone gets and should expect if they decide to fish a bway, especially on a weekend, during the day. It’s sad it’s that way, but it’s reality nowadays. 

Edited by rbart