Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 12 - Oct 19

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, Bmawds said:

Got into some slot fish last night as well as a bunch of fat schoolies. Didn’t seem to matter what you threw, though the larger fish came on larger plugs. Whoever the local was to my right thanks for the etiquette and good company, prior to the group of kids and two a holes in wet suits showing up 

What did the wetsuit do?  Nice job getting on the fish.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, fishinbill said:

Yeah, yesterday's conditions were awful. Even more so at the mouth of any river as the new-moon outgoing tide ran into those swells.

 

Rice boat, Ray.  Everglades?

 

120711006_3781266951918134_4026036500189013891_o.jpg

34782292_1793203100726668_3432025696703086592_o.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey all! Allow me to re-introduce myself! My name is Kevin I joined a couple years ago and fell of the fish wagon, this year I finally went ahead and purchased a boat! I am new to Rhode Island (about 5 years now) and now new to Narragansett Bay. So after buying my first boat I have been venturing out and about trying to get caught up on the catch! And let me say that this year between learning the waters and learning the more on the species of fish has turned out to be epic! More days of hooking up then not and today was no different! Probably the best day of catching schoolies my 8 year old and I have had! We have put in lots of hours learning the tides the currents the depths etc.... and as the season comes to a close we are trying to make the best of it! 
     Today we fished in upper bay the swarms off birds the chilly air and the 2nd chop definitely made today’s 16, 23”-26” schoolies worth while! Along with 2 blues in the mix. We hit 2 caught on lighter color sp‘s 2 lost on the sp’s and 14 on umbrella rigs doubled up 3 times! Depths ranged from 40’-20’.  All fish were released to see another day!

A7066749-9860-4652-BE12-80A8279BC5D9.jpeg

6343715A-6BCE-47BA-BCB4-614B0CAABE73.jpeg

9C2BBE8C-C42B-4F2C-B403-A9E45F2153F5.jpeg

040214D7-13DD-4203-8E89-E58764905DE6.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Fantastic photos!  It’s great to see young kids out there having fun.

 

I spotted your secret - chumming with Cheez-Its. 

Edited by fishinbill

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Great learning experience. Kodak moment!

The entire year and for years to come! I meet some great people at the dock and they have given some tips and pointers but the thing that has been great of all is trying to find those holes and spots that you can call your own and those places that you love to go because they don’t tend to disappoint when the tides a certain way or the wind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 mins ago, fishinbill said:

Fantastic photos!  It’s great to see young kids out there having fun.

 

I spotted your secret - chumming with Cheez-Its. 

Yes this little one loves it! She comes with me late night early morning doesn’t matter when! And you caught me on my chum methods .... shhhhhhh....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, Hazy_pics1 said:

The entire year and for years to come! I meet some great people at the dock and they have given some tips and pointers but the thing that has been great of all is trying to find those holes and spots that you can call your own and those places that you love to go because they don’t tend to disappoint when the tides a certain way or the wind.

I grew up on the bay. Started when I was nine years old. My dad and I would do plenty of ground fishing, shell fishing together in our first boat, a wooden 17 foot . Here's our second boat, a 18 foot Manatee. We had it for 28 years, still on the water today. Lots of water over the dam now, lots of experiences,  more than 62 years later. I take clients all over the bay too in the early spring season before the fish move out to the ocean. Most every place we fish has some experience, some memory of my dad or family. He's like my spiritual partner along for the ride, watching above, watching over me.

photo.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Took the family out to the beach today, nothing happening on the actual beach front but we took a long walk down to some rocks and managed to get into about dozen fish when they popped up right in front of us.  It all started kicking off right at slack low tide, super low tide managed to get out on the rocks further then normal.  Also found a hand full of snagged plugs in the rocks.  The kid and wife were occupied by all the bait fish and hermit crabs traped in pools so no one complained about the time.  Still ton of rain bait around with some peanuts mixed in, buck tails and pencils worked.

Edited by ne_dan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I grew up on the bay. Started when I was nine years old. My dad and I would do plenty of ground fishing, shell fishing together in our first boat, a wooden 17 foot . Here's our second boat, a 18 foot Manatee. We had it for 28 years, still on the water today. Lots of water over the dam now, lots of experiences,  more than 62 years later. I take clients all over the bay too in the early spring season before the fish move out to the ocean. Most every place we fish has some experience, some memory of my dad or family. He's like my spiritual partner along for the ride, watching above, watching over me.

photo.JPG

Wow that is wicked cool! I love the color! That boat has many memories I am sure you cherish! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hazy_pics1 said:

Yes this little one loves it! She comes with me late night early morning doesn’t matter when! And you caught me on my chum methods .... shhhhhhh....

I've been using cheese doodles for all these years like an idiot! :banghd:

 

LOL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 mins ago, Zubinac said:

I've been using cheese doodles for all these years like an idiot! :banghd:

 

LOL

Hahahahaha!  Yup cheese doodles no good, I tried smartfood popcorn and then it clicked, cheeze its

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, AKotoun said:

What did the wetsuit do?  Nice job getting on the fish.

They didn’t appreciate showing up late to the party, and myself and the other gentleman not wanting to play by their rules. Instead of just asking they demanded a rotation, which we both said to eff off after standing out there for five hours waiting on the tide. So one of them stepped in front of us and basically blocked us from casting. The mob was shortly behind them. I’ve met some really genuine people that are new to this as a result of covid, but I’ve had far too many interactions with a classless bunch of new fishermen both from shore and out on the water. Sorry for derailing the thread

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, Bmawds said:

They didn’t appreciate showing up late to the party, and myself and the other gentleman not wanting to play by their rules. Instead of just asking they demanded a rotation, which we both said to eff off after standing out there for five hours waiting on the tide. So one of them stepped in front of us and basically blocked us from casting. The mob was shortly behind them. I’ve met some really genuine people that are new to this as a result of covid, but I’ve had far too many interactions with a classless bunch of new fishermen both from shore and out on the water. Sorry for derailing the thread

 

Edited by Hazy_pics1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.