Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 12 - Oct 19

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

I went out fishing in RI today on my Whaler.  Was probably not advisable considering the waves were 4-6' and steep.

That said it was epic conditions.  I stopped counting at 50 stripers, probably closer to 75, tons of anchovies.  Was almost every cast.  A few slots, everything else smaller.  They were not picky, all Hogy epoxies, mostly echix and anchovy/shrimp.

Foul hooked 1 albie and landed another fattie.

Went out Wednesday in Newport area and it was perfect.  Tons of birds, I think I ended up with 25 fish that day, all schoolies.

20201016_092244.jpg

20201016_110647.jpg

20201014_084557.jpg

20201014_084618.jpg

20201014_093700.jpg

3 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

Bumpy ride this morning, but there were some subsurface striper action with lot of birds.

Judging from your video, we were out in the same stuff.  I was on a 17 Whaler and wishing I had a bigger boat!!  Although it handled it fine.  Worth the squeeze, although the day started out wet and miserable without a fish in sight.  Sure didn't stay that way for long though.

Explored mid bay today in the rain and it was really good once the strong new moon tide kicked in. A few  bluefish 2 to 6 lbs and mostly just under slot sized stripers with rare slot sized fish. Water temp 59. epoxy jigs, tsunami poppers, albi snax, xrap, little doc, and jumping minnow all worked equally well.  Some fish had sea lice.  They are starting to get that nice purple color on their backs.  Such beautiful fish. 

8EAABF0F-8A62-40C4-92C3-EC6F0C17E553.jpeg

16 people out at 1am in the pouring rain. This was never a thing pre-covid. I hate when people show up just as the fishing turns on and suddenly call the shots on how it’s going to go and mug the spot. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Bmawds said:

16 people out at 1am in the pouring rain. This was never a thing pre-covid. I hate when people show up just as the fishing turns on and suddenly call the shots on how it’s going to go and mug the spot. 

That sucks, I know what you are talking about. 

Edited by rwilhelm

Yesterday early morning drove out on the beach (didn’t get stuck this time ha!) lots of bird action with schools of fish moving quickly up the coast or offshore. Only had about an hour but landed a few stripers in the 20-25 inch range. They were hitting right off the lip of the beach in 2-4 ft of water on the off brand lil doc. So much fun watching them slap at that lure. 

Yeah, yesterday's conditions were awful. Even more so at the mouth of any river as the new-moon outgoing tide ran into those swells.

Rice boat, Ray.  Everglades?

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wasn’t fishing but took break from work yesterday afternoon and drove to beach.   Two large schools of stripers were slowly running along the beach.  

Edited by notime

1 hour ago, fishinbill said:

Yeah, yesterday's conditions were awful. Even more so at the mouth of any river as the new-moon outgoing tide ran into those swells.

Rice boat, Ray.  Everglades?

Had that problem on Thurs night

Got into some slot fish last night as well as a bunch of fat schoolies. Didn’t seem to matter what you threw, though the larger fish came on larger plugs. Whoever the local was to my right thanks for the etiquette and good company, prior to the group of kids and two a holes in wet suits showing up 

Damn. Between the weather and Covid I have barely fished salt water this year. Lost the spring to shutdown but really looked forward to funny season. Yet every time my schedule and tides coincide these last three weeks, there's been snotty weather.  I may not splash the yak this fall, at least while I've still got a shot at Albert.