Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 12 - Oct 19

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, riggler said:

Interesting....i have to ask, what species was the fish found in europe, and where ?

it was a haddock off the south west of england

Same as the past few weeks. Lots of fishermen, lots of bait, lots of schoolies and lots of boaters running over blitzes on the beach. It was a good weekend to be out. I enjoy talking to all the regulars out there after the bite also. Excitement is in the air.

On 10/12/2020 at 8:36 PM, Milky said:

Ran into an epic feed of stripers today in some snotty weather. Down right old fashioned. 

I've been telling my 14 year old that people nowadays misuse the word "blitz". It has come to mean anything more than two or three fish breaking the surface. I've been saying a blitz is much more.

At one point he looked at me with a big grin and said "would you call THIS a blitz dad?".

Later in much calmer conditions we found numbers of bass on dense schools of micro-anchovies. They were almost impossible to hook. After a few minutes I didn't even try, just watched the aquarium show. The kid tossed everything including flies and freshwater stuff. Nothin doin. They were gulping the bait by the mouth full.

No albies seen.

Coolest catch for my boy was his first tagged striper. Released with tag intact for the next guy.

20201012_085211.jpg

Back in the day, the Littoral Society would send you a little fish patch for a tagged fish recovered. They also used to provide free tags. When that changed, I stopped tagging. 

1 hour ago, Peterov said:

Back in the day, the Littoral Society would send you a little fish patch for a tagged fish recovered. They also used to provide free tags. When that changed, I stopped tagging. 

you can still get them free ill send you a PM so as not to advertise it on here 

On 10/12/2020 at 8:36 PM, Milky said:

Ran into an epic feed of stripers today in some snotty weather. Down right old fashioned. 

I've been telling my 14 year old that people nowadays misuse the word "blitz". It has come to mean anything more than two or three fish breaking the surface. I've been saying a blitz is much more.

At one point he looked at me with a big grin and said "would you call THIS a blitz dad?".

Later in much calmer conditions we found numbers of bass on dense schools of micro-anchovies. They were almost impossible to hook. After a few minutes I didn't even try, just watched the aquarium show. The kid tossed everything including flies and freshwater stuff. Nothin doin. They were gulping the bait by the mouth full.

No albies seen.

Coolest catch for my boy was his first tagged striper. Released with tag intact for the next guy.

20201012_085211.jpg

now that I'm looking closer at the photo that tag isn't even fully connected! the bottom of the tag in this photo should clip into a big white circle, almost like a zip tie. Amazing that this even stayed on all this time!!! 

On 10/13/2020 at 10:39 AM, osprey47 said:

especially if it was my tag!!!! hahahah I tag both striper and tog   back home we tagged reds and  snapper   but yet I am pretty sure if you email that picture with location  and size estimates that will be useful. I know someone who tagged their fish and it ended up out in Europe 

Didn’t know they wanted tog too.   Where do you get the tog tags?  

10 hours ago, osprey47 said:

now that I'm looking closer at the photo that tag isn't even fully connected! the bottom of the tag in this photo should clip into a big white circle, almost like a zip tie. Amazing that this even stayed on all this time!!! 

Literal society still uses those crappy loop tags?  The should switch to dart style tags (like the one above) one of these days.  It’s new cutting edge technology- been around since like 1980...  

those littoral society loop tags suck.

Good day of fishing today.

Nice tide this morning, high at launching, dumping all morning.

Wind out of the west a little on the high side, but there was plenty of small fish.

Every where we went we found small stripers, and large shad. When a bite died in a location, we'd find another heading west.

Never had to go any further west than C-town Breachway. All seem to be keyed in on small anchovies. Plenty of laughing gulls pointing the schools location. Not to difficult to catch on any offering. Water temperatures, 61 degrees. No larger size stripers. No hardtail sightings at all.

2 hours ago, notime said:

Didn’t know they wanted tog too.   Where do you get the tog tags?  

I use the same ones pictured here, send me a PM

1 hour ago, Fitzy said:

Literal society still uses those crappy loop tags?  The should switch to dart style tags (like the one above) one of these days.  It’s new cutting edge technology- been around since like 1980...  

those littoral society loop tags suck.

agreed, the technology is antiquated especially since I've tagged tuna with the dart style and its way easier and sticks on better 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Lots of rain bait still around, it took awhile for the fish to push close enough to shore this afternoon.  But once they did they were willing to hit just about anything  you threw.   Managed about a dozen schoolie size, with one over slot fish and a few slot size.  Stayed out on the rocks too long though, when I went back in it was just about shoulder height.   Lots of erosion going on, fell down about a 3 ft drop off didn't even see it in the dark.

Edited by ne_dan

1 hour ago, HillTop said:

So is the albie season all but done ?

Historically it's definitely not too late in the season. From the massive amount of anchovies I saw last weekend I would say there's certainly enough albie candy to keep them around. I don't know the H2O temp but can't imagine it got too cold yet.

But where are they now? Your guess is good as mine.

Tough wind and really weedy where I was last pm. Overall pretty slow night. Got 3 fish at one spot biggest 27” , too many weeds being pushed in by wind.  Hit a backwater spot and got a few fish to low slot. Lots of folks out fishing easy spots, a little walking and it’s a ghost town. Hopefully we are just between waves of fish. Seems that big slug of fish we have been enjoying may have moved on.