Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 12 - Oct 19

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, VanStaalSteve said:

I saw them also. I think they were using them as cut bait? 

I've never eaten hickory shad but I ate an American shad once. Slow baked for a long time. I never tried it a second time mostly because I didn't enjoy the bones but it was definitely very edible. If I was hungry or feeding a family on short budget I wouldn't mind (meaning the American, don't know about the hickory).

It kinda baffles me why guys gotta impose their own tastes as judgement against others. Like we're going to start mocking people who like brussel sprouts.

With the nostop whining about poachers, you'd think you all would encourage them to take such an abundant underutilized unregulated species. 

2 hours ago, Kooky said:

Last year there were a few guys filling buckets with them in the back water. i was nosey and walked by looking to see if it was small schoolies that they were stuffing in bucket, as they were also biting heavily.  I asked what they do with them and they said they freeze them and eat them in the winter........ I threw up in my mouth a little :upck:

To me that is like eating a large shiner and must be a ton of little bones in them, but to each there own.

Their kissing cousins, the American shad has been valued for both its flesh and its roe for just about forever.

52 mins ago, MakoMike said:

Their kissing cousins, the American shad has been valued for both its flesh and its roe for just about forever.

Its interesting because i have never heard of people targeting them for food before....  Learn something new every day... Thanks

4 hours ago, MakoMike said:

News to me also. I’m happy I brought it up or I would’ve never known. 

On 10/19/2020 at 7:35 AM, osprey47 said:

fishing report from yesterday

went to a popular tog spot, many boats. Fished it for about an hour then a charter came in and told us that we need to rotation fish, so we would get in line, get to our spot, drop our anchor, make one cast with High low crabs,  then pull the anchor and get back in line while the next guy went.....

in seriousness   the water was rough as **** yesterday, nothing like the 2 footers the forecast called for!! Went to the reef and turned around right away, had an elderly gentleman on board and wasn't about to dive in for him if he went over, tried for tog in the bay and got nothing but the biggest skate I have ever seen   state shaped ledge, a lighthouse and lots of patience   we went home empty.   There was a nice run of bass mid day all schoolies. but there were 30+ boats chasing the moving school which was kind of embarrassing 

Wait, What? Rotation in boats? GTFO!  So much bottom out there. Tell him to get up earlier or find another rock.

On 10/19/2020 at 0:54 PM, dickd said:

And yet you actually got into a rotation while fishing for tog from a boat, dropping and hoisting the anchor repeatedly, because of the demands of a charter guy?  That’s a new one on me. Lots of rock piles In the ocean easily accessed by boat. Funny - far more rock piles than breachways.

Yep. There is plenty of bottom to fish.