Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Oct. 12 - Oct 19

Rate this topic

172 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

Looks like some fisheries are peaking and some slowly fading away.

Hardtails are still around in some numbers holding for weeks now in a few south county beach areas. Difficult to catch on small rain bait.

One known catch of a bonito on a friends boat. They are few and far between. Plenty of Mac's still around. We seen several schools filter feeding the surface.

Bass migrations are still building in the area and holding. Lot of dense pockets to be found over laughing gulls.  Easy to spot.

Lots of high winds, and wave surges. Expect that to continue for a few days.

Fished a rocky area before sun up and had a decent bite w fish to 28”. Bite died a bit after high. Went to a popular beach area, schools of bait and fish but way out of range. Got a few blues. Lots of clueless folks taking up good real estate, but that’s holiday daytime fishing. Heard a bunch of “should have been here yesterday/earlier”. Cold and windy out there this am, that NE wind was cranking and ramping up.

Found a lot of bay anchovies out front with a mix bag of fish on them, mostly school stripers at a distance this am. Luckily they all pushed in with the wind and tide. Classic fall feed with fish on almost every catch. Saw a couple Albies crash through but no love.

Ran into an epic feed of stripers today in some snotty weather. Down right old fashioned. 

I've been telling my 14 year old that people nowadays misuse the word "blitz". It has come to mean anything more than two or three fish breaking the surface. I've been saying a blitz is much more.

At one point he looked at me with a big grin and said "would you call THIS a blitz dad?".

Later in much calmer conditions we found numbers of bass on dense schools of micro-anchovies. They were almost impossible to hook. After a few minutes I didn't even try, just watched the aquarium show. The kid tossed everything including flies and freshwater stuff. Nothin doin. They were gulping the bait by the mouth full.

No albies seen.

Coolest catch for my boy was his first tagged striper. Released with tag intact for the next guy.

20201012_085211.jpg

Caught the end of the tide and put some fish on shore last night. NE wind and eager bass. Yellow SS hvy needle did most of the work, and was running nice in the bigger water. 

The usual as far as size: low to mid 20s schoolies, + one slottish. Except for one late (post-tide) fish that was much better. Came unbuttoned 3/4 in, so exact size remains a fish story.

had to be 61, 62...........

Repos for dawn and that spot shat the bed. Took a brief gander at a W. SC beach after that and didn't see much, 8-9, so drove back to mass and finished the day with a few more up there.

13 hours ago, Milky said:

Ran into an epic feed of stripers today in some snotty weather. Down right old fashioned. 

I've been telling my 14 year old that people nowadays misuse the word "blitz". It has come to mean anything more than two or three fish breaking the surface. I've been saying a blitz is much more.

At one point he looked at me with a big grin and said "would you call THIS a blitz dad?".

Later in much calmer conditions we found numbers of bass on dense schools of micro-anchovies. They were almost impossible to hook. After a few minutes I didn't even try, just watched the aquarium show. The kid tossed everything including flies and freshwater stuff. Nothin doin. They were gulping the bait by the mouth full.

No albies seen.

Coolest catch for my boy was his first tagged striper. Released with tag intact for the next guy.

20201012_085211.jpg

two things   one you are SO right about the term blitz. THANK YOU.  there was some youtube clown who posts videos almost daily...every day his title is something in the line of "HUGE striper blitz!" "Striper feeding frenzy!"  and all other exaggeration  only to watch the video and see one or two fish breaking like you said.  That is NOT a blitz. Thank god someone else sees this as annoying like I have been, the word has lost its meaning.

Second, with those tags the littoral society asks that you cut those tags whenever they are caught because its not guarantee the fish ever gets caught again, survives , etc so the information they get from those is super important to learning migratory habits, health of fish, ect. the tagger gets notification of some sort that their fish was caught again and your son would have gotten some kind of certificate I believe. That said since you have the number of the tag its worth at least sending that photo into the littoral society with information of where it was caught/released and rough sizes of it.   I've tagged over 60 fish and yet to get one of my re-catches yet haha

3 mins ago, osprey47 said:

two things   one you are SO right about the term blitz. THANK YOU.  there was some youtube clown who posts videos almost daily...every day his title is something in the line of "HUGE striper blitz!" "Striper feeding frenzy!"  and all other exaggeration  only to watch the video and see one or two fish breaking like you said.  That is NOT a blitz. Thank god someone else sees this as annoying like I have been, the word has lost its meaning.

Second, with those tags the littoral society asks that you cut those tags whenever they are caught because its not guarantee the fish ever gets caught again, survives , etc so the information they get from those is super important to learning migratory habits, health of fish, ect. the tagger gets notification of some sort that their fish was caught again and your son would have gotten some kind of certificate I believe. That said since you have the number of the tag its worth at least sending that photo into the littoral society with information of where it was caught/released and rough sizes of it.   I've tagged over 60 fish and yet to get one of my re-catches yet haha

I was wondering about whether or not to cut it off. In the end I was able to clean it off enough to get a clear pic of the numbers. I figured I could email the pics and catch details to the club that tagged it. Odds are probably slim of a recatch but it would be cool to get multiple data from the same fish.

The fish was just under slot so maybe it will live long enough to be recaught.

12 mins ago, Milky said:

I was wondering about whether or not to cut it off. In the end I was able to clean it off enough to get a clear pic of the numbers. I figured I could email the pics and catch details to the club that tagged it. Odds are probably slim of a recatch but it would be cool to get multiple data from the same fish.

The fish was just under slot so maybe it will live long enough to be recaught.

especially if it was my tag!!!! hahahah I tag both striper and tog   back home we tagged reds and  snapper   but yet I am pretty sure if you email that picture with location  and size estimates that will be useful. I know someone who tagged their fish and it ended up out in Europe 

45 mins ago, osprey47 said:

especially if it was my tag!!!! hahahah I tag both striper and tog   back home we tagged reds and  snapper   but yet I am pretty sure if you email that picture with location  and size estimates that will be useful. I know someone who tagged their fish and it ended up out in Europe 

Interesting....i have to ask, what species was the fish found in europe, and where ?

Well - I am a May-June Cape Cod transplant, after 20 years, to South Kingston.  On the Cape I knew where to go and when.

Only here since Sept 15.  Most time spent setting up the apt. for May-Sept residence.

Managed a half dozen C&R fly fishing trips to various south beaches, Narrow River and a couple of estuaries. 

I've yet to feel or see a rod bent.

I did, however, experience a Bluefish blitz on a popular south beach - On a Sunday.  Big mistake. Shoulder to shoulder - and me trying to fly fish.  No bent rods then either.

I did return to same beach on a weekday - nice - but waves.

Planning on going to a south beach on Thurs and on Sunday to a river outlet that requires a 1/2 mile walk - so I'm told it won't be crowded.

Herb

55 mins ago, riggler said:

Interesting....i have to ask, what species was the fish found in europe, and where ?

I had a blue shark I tagged recaught off of Spain.

20 mins ago, HL said:

Well - I am a May-June Cape Cod transplant, after 20 years, to South Kingston.  On the Cape I knew where to go and when.

Only here since Sept 15.  Most time spent setting up the apt. for May-Sept residence.

Managed a half dozen C&R fly fishing trips to various south beaches, Narrow River and a couple of estuaries. 

I've yet to feel or see a rod bent.

I did, however, experience a Bluefish blitz on a popular south beach - On a Sunday.  Big mistake. Shoulder to shoulder - and me trying to fly fish.  No bent rods then either.

I did return to same beach on a weekday - nice - but waves.

Planning on going to a south beach on Thurs and on Sunday to a river outlet that requires a 1/2 mile walk - so I'm told it won't be crowded.

Herb

You have to be prepared to deal with very thick crowds in RI right now, especially on weekends  holidays. Unfortunately there are hoards of new, inexperienced anglers showing up on the beach these days. I actually had a guy yesterday in full surf casting gear asking me what kind of fish were splashing out there and how should he catch them?

I had some scathing comments to make about the crowd but chose to dwell on the positive. 

I will say the worst offenders for aggressive mugging this weekend were NOT young, inexperienced or foreign. They were hardcore surf guys who muscled in and pushed the newbies and kids out.

Made me think the Tri-State tournament was going on. Nothing worse than NY guys in a competition. 

Still, you got to expect that on a holiday or weekend. 

17 mins ago, Milky said:

Still, you got to expect that on a holiday or weekend. 

Well I learned my lesson.  Will stay away from the "easy places" on weekends.

Herb

Messy but fun tide out there this morning. Fish coming in and out and busting like crazy at times.  It was sporty out there, and got super weedy near low.  Fished with a bunch of fun helpful guys, we all helped each other out and shared in the experience but you earned it getting soaked and beat up.  Fish 25-30"  but mostly in the hefty 26-27" range, blasting big topwater plugs.  Lost a good one when she dug in behind some rocks and eventually broke me off.  Love these kind of fall days, and so glad i took today off work.

2 hours ago, HL said:

Well I learned my lesson.  Will stay away from the "easy places" on weekends.

Herb

Hi Herb,

Nice to have you around. Next time I'll tell my family, relatives, and friends to stay a safe distance away from you.