Just learning

Braid recommendations

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Sufix 832 is the best I've used. Otherwise PowerPro will do the job.  Also hearing good things about Daiwa J-Braid 8x but I haven't tried it.  

Edited by AH Perry

18 mins ago, AH Perry said:

Sufix 832 is the best I've used. Otherwise PowerPro will do the job.  Also hearing good things about Daiwa J-Braid 8x but I haven't tried it.  

832 or 8x for me on every reel. Costs more but worth it. 

One other point when you are looking at line strength ratings - they all break higher than what they are rated. In some cases just 10-15% higher, in others upwards of 50%. Thus, if the latter, a nominal 30# break strength could be 40-45#.

There are multiple discussions in the Main and I believe one of the members has actually done very extensive tests with a real tensile strength measuring machine.  He also measures the lines' diameters and other metrics. Find that and give it a read.  

Point is, if you have a rod rated for 20-40 and a reel to match, do you really want to spool up with a line that is 40# on the label but is actually 55# in the real world? First, why over-line your rod above the rating? Second, if you want 40# functionally, then consider 30# on the label. That would gain you significant benefits from a thinner line. Less wind resistance when casting (longer casts), less more resistance when drifting or bottom fishing and more line on the spool if that is a consideration. 

My go-to combo is a Century S2 1326 rated for 20-40# paired with a VR125 with 30# 832 on the 125 spool and 40# J8 on the compatible VR150 spool. I don’t get much more line of the larger spool, but a break strength of nearly 60# and a slightly bigger diameter helps when it is tarpon time in the surf down here. On that rigging, I use 2-3 feet of 50# hard mono leader off an FG knot knot and 2 feet of 50# flouro as a shock/bite/gill leader. 

Edited by flyangler

Used Power Pro on my freshwater stuff for the last 5+ years. I have used Sufix 832 in 10 lb test for trout too. I think Power Pro is my favorite so far. 

Tested out J-Braid Grand X8 in Island Blue and 20 lb test for about a year. When filled to the full mark on the reel I had quite a few wind knots on a Slammer III 4500 with it until it settled down. Probably lost about 50 yards or so. Considered trying it again in 30 lb or 40 lb to see if it was just the thickness of the 20 lb that was the issue but it was hard for me to try to use this line again if I possibly would have had similar issues. 

Since I decided that it was too thin, I upped it to 30 lb Power Pro (came in new packaging?) again this year. Used it for one day and no issues with it filled to the full mark. 

I use 15 lb on my fluke rod but use 30 lb on my surf rod. Don’t know if it’s just me but I find it more comfortable to cast over 1 oz with thicker line. 

Just got PowerPro SuperSlick 8 v2 Onyx on my Stradic FL 4000 and so far it has been awesome. Will most likely look to put v2 on all of my setups in the future. Definitely would like to try Sufix however.

So called wind knot is not a wind not at all it should be called an overlap knot! There is a way to prevent them , first close your bail manually, second after the bail is closed give your main line a quick  pull off Of the reel! This prevents 98% of overlap knots! I have tried many brands of braid trying to prevent this from happening when a more knowledgeable angler taught me this technique. I have settled on 832 or J braid 8x

Edited by longfin61
Spelling

Suffix 832 blows away the others for plugging.  Literally have not had a wind knot since switching.  Even my 11 year old son who is just beginning to learn plugging can cast all day with no wind knots.  Frees up Dad for more time spent actually fishing.

Done with Powerpro, too many breakoffs.

Suffix 832 30# seemed to have some knot strength issues.

I like JBraid 8 30#, 20# is thin and I've made some nice messes of it.