kayaknshore

To anchor or not to anchor for pedal-kayak togging

Do you use an anchor for togging on a pedal kayak?    22 members have voted

1. 2. Do you use an anchor for togging on a pedal kayak?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

46 posts in this topic

Maybe I’m paranoid, but the idea of anchoring in a yak always made me nervous, as it seems like not much benefit compared to all the potential problems. I always used the pedals to keep me in place. 

Setting an anchor sucks. It can be sketchy in bad conditions. You have to deal with all the rope, it’s hard to be accurate in your positioning especially in more than 15ft.

Pedaling can work if the drift isn’t bad, or if your hopping bridge pilings. But if I’m planning a tog trip, I’m usually dropping an anchor. the anchor trolley is a must for me

Edited by Pescador710

I have done both...sometimes I pedal in place and sometimes I anchor...I typically use mushroom anchor and fish in 15-30ft of depth for tog close to the rocks.

If it is top or bottom of the tide and no wind anchor is not needed...but if you have relatively strong current with a wind it is not easy to hold the position and it could be very tiring. My experience is that using anchor at right spot makes your fishing more enjoyable with fewer snags. You drop your rig and you relax waiting for a hit without constantly pedaling against the current and the wind. The other advantage is that you are fishing the same spot for a longer time and you eventually attract the fish under you...you can even effectively chum....and once you find a spot with the bite wind will not push you away from it especially if the area is small... disadvantage is that you need to carry anchor and the line with you and if you anchor at the wrong spot you will need to keep re-anchoring until you find fish...and anchoring in rough seas can be dangerous too. In short , I first pedal around and scout for the spot with the bite, fish it for 10-15minutes pedaling around and then I drop the the anchor.

13 mins ago, kayaknshore said:

@Pescador710 @computeruser

Is it possible/common for you anchor to get hung up in the structure and then you can get it back? 

Yes...you can snag your anchor and loose it...or you can cut the rope with the float and leave it there to have a permanent anchor at that spot. Regular anchor is easier to snag compared to mushroom anchor but it can happen...

On 10/12/2020 at 10:26 AM, computeruser said:

In short , I first pedal around and scout for the spot with the bite, fish it for 10-15minutes pedaling around and then I drop the the anchor.

What Zoran described here is the most efficient method for togging from a kayak. 

Probe with your pedals; anchor up once you find the sweet spot. 

1 hour ago, kayaknshore said:

Is it possible/common for you anchor to get hung up in the structure and then you can get it back? 

If you use a grapnel style anchor you need to use the zip tie trick pictured below. If you hang up, pull hard enough to break the tie and then pull up the anchor from the other end. I do not use a chain, and it works fine just with paracord. An additional trick I learned recently was to make a loop in the cord to attach the zip tie to that leaves some slack between the ends of the anchor, it makes it easier breaking the tie when you need to. 

anchor-chain-set-up.JPG

This season I'm going to try making a small reef anchor using #4 solid copper wire. The idea is it just bends under enough pressure, and it doesn't take much normally to hold a kayak in place.

reef-anchor.jpg

56 mins ago, kayaknshore said:

The best way to rig the anchor is to put a few weak (~8 lbs test) zip ties on the top, thread the anchor line through a zip tie and tie off on the line on the bottom.

if you get hung up, you can pop the zip tie and pull out the anchor in the upside down position. I’ve gotten hung up a few times and this method worked like a charm

the video shows what I’m talking about:

6 mins ago, gellfex said:

If you use a grapnel style anchor you need to use the zip tie trick pictured below. If you hang up, pull hard enough to break the tie and then pull up the anchor from the other end. I do not use a chain, and it works fine just with paracord. An additional trick I learned recently was to make a loop in the cord to attach the zip tie to that leaves some slack between the ends of the anchor, it makes it easier breaking the tie when you need to. 

anchor-chain-set-up.JPG

This season I'm going to try making a small reef anchor using #4 solid copper wire. The idea is it just bends under enough pressure, and it doesn't take much normally to hold a kayak in place.

reef-anchor.jpg

@Pescador710

Really helpful information guys. Thanks. I will look into this. 

Holding your spot when fishing for tog can be very beneficial. If the current isn’t too strong I will drop an anchor to hold the spot. I use old window weights so if I get snagged I just cut  the rope. But also I’ve tog fished with just using my  drive to hold  the spot. 

I pin my anchor line to the kayak right next to the seat then run it out through the trolley. It's the quickest way to disconnect if you get into trouble.  No knots, no knife needed, just pull the pin. 

All depends where I'm fishing,

Open beaches where the only structure is underwater?

Il anchor 100% of the time 

Bridges and other above ground structure, I'm less likely too, since I've got a visual as to where I need to stay ( I don't currently have a GPS). 

On 10/13/2020 at 4:37 PM, Pescador710 said:

The best way to rig the anchor is to put a few weak (~8 lbs test) zip ties on the top, thread the anchor line through a zip tie and tie off on the line on the bottom.

if you get hung up, you can pop the zip tie and pull out the anchor in the upside down position. I’ve gotten hung up a few times and this method worked like a charm

the video shows what I’m talking about:

This doesn’t work , ive tried it and lost anchors