Sailah

1 week old broken Mojo

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a week old Mojo Inshore 7'6" MF rod that broke today while catching a small schoolie.  This is the new style 2020 Mojo in SCIII graphite vs the SCII graphite in old style Mojo I have.

We were hunting albies.  I was shocked.  Fortunately I had another Mojo Inshore and a day old Avid so I kept going.

I submitted the warranty with St Croix and I'm sure they will get me taken care of.  The rod broke 9.5" from tip.  Literally everything else is brand new.  Is there some way to salvage what is left?  Rod measures 6'9" to the broken tip, and the guides line up.  Was thinking of just putting a tip on it.  I know this will probably be stiffer than a regular rob but could probably be useful as a jigging rod or backup.  Doable?  Not worth the effort?

20201011_180842.jpg

20201011_180817.jpg

Edited by Sailah

It's doable and almost no effort unless getting the right size tiptop is a pain.  With how much tip is lost you don't even need to worry about getting hot melt tip adhesive.  Just use hardware store 5-minute epoxy.

Posted (edited) · Report post

It's fixable, usually a clean break like that means the blank took a shock that put a microfracture in the graphite, if it was a break under stress, it would be fractured lengthwise. It could have been dropped or put on an edge before you even bought the rod as it don't have to always show up right away. Take the tip top off and the upper guides and get a garage sale glass rod you can make an oversleeve out of to go over the break. * I'll help if you need it. Not that difficult.

Edited by TimS
Please don’t send people to other sites when they ask a question here - thanks :-)

If you do it sleeve it with fiberglass piece that just fits both sides. 2ton epoxy and wrap black or whatever color thread over it. Put a thin coat of finish over the thread and your fishing. I like a short piece of fiberglass inside aswell if I can get one small enough but not necessary.

17 hours ago, matt boyer said:

Could splice it back together if they let you keep it. I have rods like this for the kayak or kids fishing.

I just had to go through St Croix for a warranty issue (legend fly rod)...they had me cut the blank (rendering it useless) and send a pic of the serial number. As far as the OP, I was just in a shop in Natick and was checking out one of these new inshore mojo rods...I didn't like the fact that, unlike prior versions of mojos, there was no top coat of epoxy/flex coat or whatever it is on top of the blank...it was a flat color (not so important) and 'felt' more fragile than the prior version (is important)

32 mins ago, albacized said:

I just had to go through St Croix for a warranty issue (legend fly rod)...they had me cut the blank (rendering it useless) and send a pic of the serial number. As far as the OP, I was just in a shop in Natick and was checking out one of these new inshore mojo rods...I didn't like the fact that, unlike prior versions of mojos, there was no top coat of epoxy/flex coat or whatever it is on top of the blank...it was a flat color (not so important) and 'felt' more fragile than the prior version (is important)

Thanks for all the responses, will see what they say if I need to "destroy" the rod.

I do agree the new mojo is more fragile.  I have both.  I actually prefer the older model, especially the butt grip knob instead of full cork grip.  I also like reel placement of the older.

If they give me the option, I might just spring for a 7'6" Avid instead of the mojo.  It's about $80 more.  Although I think they both use the same SCIII graphite.

OK so St Croix shipped me a new rod today and I don't need to destroy the old one.  My gut says just throw on another tip top and have a real fast action MH/H ~7' rod for whatever.  Sleeving the rod makes me a bit nervous with the hard spots.  I called Mud Hole and they seemed to agree that sleeving it that far towards tip top would not work.  He said just get any Fuji, measure, and throw it on there.  Rod won't resemble the old rod at all but might be a good boat rod.

The rod will be slower, not faster, after you put the tip top on. Putting a glass sleeve that has 1/6 th the modulus, or less over graphite won't give you the hard spot you might expect. Graphite would, glass not so much, but it's your rod, would have made a good learning experience.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 6:11 PM, Sailah said:

I have a week old Mojo Inshore 7'6" MF rod that broke today while catching a small schoolie.  This is the new style 2020 Mojo in SCIII graphite vs the SCII graphite in old style Mojo I have.

We were hunting albies.  I was shocked.  Fortunately I had another Mojo Inshore and a day old Avid so I kept going.

I submitted the warranty with St Croix and I'm sure they will get me taken care of.  The rod broke 9.5" from tip.  Literally everything else is brand new.  Is there some way to salvage what is left?  Rod measures 6'9" to the broken tip, and the guides line up.  Was thinking of just putting a tip on it.  I know this will probably be stiffer than a regular rob but could probably be useful as a jigging rod or backup.  Doable?  Not worth the effort?

20201011_180842.jpg

20201011_180817.jpg

well,since you have yournew rod just put a tip on the old one and find something to use it for.

sleeving it?,,I never saw a rod sleeved that thin,I do have a very old[brown]fenwick rod that my friend fixed at his shop,that was 25 years ago.

it broke right around the joint.

from where I am sitting,you're in great shape.

HH

Well this didn't go well.  St Croix sent me a new Mojo inshore, got it yesterday.  Took my dad out fishing today and i put on a new Penn Clash 3k.  Broke on the very first fish.

I watched him catch it too, was textbook.   Not high sticked, just bringing in a small schoolie to the boat.  Rod snapped right where the old one did although 1 more guide down.  Pretty annoyed with this as i take good care of my stuff.

My old mojo inshore has caught 100s of fish and still works great.  Same with my Avid.  For whatever reason I'm not having good luck with these rods.

Waiting to hear back from them how they want to handle it.

On the plus side, we had spare rods and caught 50 fish today 

20201020_080708.jpg

Sounds like your mojo's lasted longer than mine.

I had 4 of them delivered, and all 4 had to be returned before I even got to fish with them for various assembly issues.

Fortunately all 4 came from distributors who refunded me without any hassle.

Reaching out to St. Croix to try to get another one left me very disappointed with their lack of customer service.

Yeah it hasn't been great.  After this latest issue i spent a while going over options only to have them tell me they had zero rods in stock anyways.  Wtf.  Doesn't really matter since my season is over anyways.  They did say they would not charge the $50 fee this time. 

I absolutely love the old style mojo, caught a lot of fish with that and i prefer the action for throwing epoxy jigs.

Hopefully i get my rod in 2020.  Still think highly of St Croix and their rods not going to judge them on this single issue.