Terp

Thoughts on wind direction

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I’ve always thought that wind in your face was best because it pushes bait towards the beach.  I’ve seen some reports of good fishing with other wind directions.  What are your thoughts on the best wind?   Does it change with the seasons?  

My opinion if you're talking AI drum is go whenever you can and don't give wind direction much thought. As long as you can fish effectively anyway. Seen a LOT of fish caught on a NE wind. Caught a few myself on that NE as well. 

Most will tell you NE is terrible for drum. To me that is wrong. Find the right spot and you will catch.

That said I would pick a west wind first. Only because as an average caster I can get a bait out further if/ when needed.

Longer casters will probably say a SE.

Also I'd rather take a cloudy day with any wind direction over a sunny day with that preferred SE.

If you pick your days based on wind direction, you will miss out on a lot of good fishing.

West Wind- slightly increases your casting distance, helping you catch more fish.

East Wind- keeps the biting flys at bay, a comfortable fisherman is more focused and catches more fish.

North Wind- less people on the beach, more fish for you.

South Wind-  popular consensus is south winds are better fishing, this confidence can help you catch more fish.

look at barometer as well.... usually if a front is coming, and its dropping, its south -southwest.

I hate N wind, period.

light NE is ok, over 10-15, and you get current rather quickly.

cloudy, with any wind with a S, AND some constant 2-4ft swell making some whitewater is golden... for me anyway.

I can cast much better in a southwest cross wind than N or NE, down the beach wind, not sure why

What Esox said...and wok...and lucky.  Some conditions are better, of course.  But I never let conditions dictate.  Secret?  Bait in the water.  Just go fish.

I'm guessing all answers are based on easterly shorelines. A south wind on the Jersey Shore doesn't compare with a south wind on Long Island. . 

Generally speaking a NE breeze on the Jersey Shore brings a bite, the problem is a NE blow generally last 3-4 days minimum, by day 2 your sick of it and by day 3 its hardly fishable if at all, then it takes a day or two to clean up. Give me a NW wind any day or NIGHT, I'll take those offerings.