BrianC86

Tsunami Salt-X Rod

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Just picking some brains here, 

I have a 10’ Salt X rod I’ve been using 2-3 times a week for the past two months, lots of use but never mistreated. Taking it out of my garage yesterday I noticed the insert for the tip guide was missing.

Im awaiting a response from Bimini Bay customer service, but I figured I’d ask 

is this a normal occurrence? And is this something I should remedy myself or wait for customer service to get back to me?

thanks everyone

Just now, fishtheeast said:

Do you reel your knot/swivel into the first guide? 

Occasionally the swivel will hit it in the night, but it’s always a tap, I don’t crank my line in fast when I can’t see anything. Definitely never through the guide, and never casting the swivel through

Fix it yourself. I love their products, but Bimini Bay service sucks. It took me 3 times and almost 6 months to get my reels serviced. They came back worse then when I sent them. In the end they made good with new reels but it was almost 6 months to the day. Just my 2 cents.

Just now, mtl50 said:

Fix it yourself. I love their products, but Bimini Bay service sucks. It took me 3 times and almost 6 months to get my reels serviced. They came back worse then when I sent them. In the end they made good with new reels but it was almost 6 months to the day. Just my 2 cents.

Appreciate the heads up man, I don’t know anything about rods or guides so I wasn’t sure the right approach

21 mins ago, BrianC86 said:

Appreciate the heads up man, I don’t know anything about rods or guides so I wasn’t sure the right approach

Bring it to your local tackle shop. If they can't do it, they will point you in the right direction.

Not worth going through customer service for an easy fix like that. Most tackle shops will fix it for around $20. I had the ceramic insert crack in a few different rods and it's always an easy repair. You'll be back on the water faster than going through customer service.

I'd only bring it to a shop that sells rod building supplies....most shops carry the garbage fuji tips that they've had lying around for the last 20 years.

Or measure the tip and order one from mudhole / ebay etc

Keep the swivel out of your tip, and it it gets in DO NOT cast. Can push the ring out but usually fractures it and then you shred your braided line all to hell, maybe even breaking off your lure. 

A solution is to tie your braid to your leader if possible. Uni knot to uni knot.

I have been tying a very small Perfection Loop in my leader and then tying my braid to it with a Palomar. So far so good.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

I'd only bring it to a shop that sells rod building supplies....most shops carry the garbage fuji tips that they've had lying around for the last 20 years.

Or measure the tip and order one from mudhole / ebay etc

Luckily the shop I bought it from is known for their rod building, I’ll be dropping by there tomorrow, thanks!