T Chief

Fisherman robbed at gunpoint in Bayonne

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

Have 3 sources who have confirmed that a fisherman who was fishing in the peninsular city was robbed at gun point and his phone and wallet were taken a few days ago . Desperate times gentleman please be careful out there . 

They steal his gear too, or just wallet and phone?

Who even steals a cell phone these, so many use iPhone. At least with iPhones, they are locked down, and cannot be easily reused when reported as stolen. It’ll ban the esn from the major cell carriers. 

This state needs open carry laws tho. Good guys with guns stop bad guys with guns. 

Having said that, I carry a few forms of protection during night outings. I personally have had a few scary instances while alone at night where I felt if I didn’t leave an area ASAP I might encounter trouble.

My buddy had an actual attempted mugging down in AC some years back. Guy saw his gold VS reel, told my buddy to hand it over to him now or he’d get hurt. The mugger was the one who ended up getting hurt tho.

From what i have been told the person asked for a cigarette and the gentleman didnt have one and the next thing he knew a gun was placed to his head and he was relieved of his possessions 

If the alleged is true then shame on them. Never let your guard down.. never in my and nj. The assailants are playing with fire as most of us have heat and are ready to use it

On 10/11/2020 at 7:58 PM, Slowwwride said:

If the alleged is true then shame on them. Never let your guard down.. never in my and nj. The assailants are playing with fire as most of us have heat and are ready to use it

Do you really believe most folks surf fishing are packing? Other than cops who fish and can pack, its almost impossible in NJ to get a carry permit. I am not a betting man, but I'd bet not even 1 in 10 has a gun on them, cops or carry permits excluded and its probably less than 5% but its not most that are packing. Gaff them in the neck  or slash them with your knife, ain't pretty but its possible, now that might happen more often than shooting somebody.

And the thugs should be hung by their toes or their testies, either way they won't enjoy it.

6 mins ago, Highlander1 said:

Do you really believe most folks surf fishing are packing? Other than cops who fish and can pack, its almost impossible in NJ to get a carry permit. I am not a betting man, but I'd bet not even 1 in 10 has a gun on them, cops or carry permits excluded and its probably less than 5% but its not most that are packing. Gaff them in the neck  or slash them with your knife, ain't pretty but its possible, now that might happen more often than shooting somebody.

And the thugs should be hung by their toes or their testies, either way they won't enjoy it.

Not guns. Knifes, sinkers, snags, big heavy tins...... There are better softer target than surf fishermen. Risk vs reward is simply mind boggling like robbing a gun store, then again, methheads have no need for reasoning. 

11 mins ago, hobobob said:

Not guns. Knifes, sinkers, snags, big heavy tins...... There are better softer target than surf fishermen. Risk vs reward is simply mind boggling like robbing a gun store, then again, methheads have no need for reasoning. 

Completely agree, but a snag hook isn’t doing much when there’s a gun pointed at you. 

4 mins ago, SurfCaster01289 said:

Completely agree, but a snag hook isn’t doing much when there’s a gun pointed at you. 

Then they can have whatever I am carrying, including my stinky waders. I don't carry valuables when I am fishing. My phone is old and cracked.  My plug bag / rod / reel would be my most valuable possessions. To an average robber, that aint worth much unless he's into fishing himself.  I have been fishing in some ghetto neighborhoods in NY, so far so good. knock on wood.

Pretty hard to call the cops when the robber has your phone. Come-on boys, use your brain a little lol. Of course it's possible the guy just thought it was worth stealing and I'm smarter than your average thief.

Also, what good is a knife doing when the next thing you know a gun is pointed at you? Unless you brandish a knife every time someone comes into your vicinity  while your fishing but I doubt it.