fishless

GPS Sales

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Haven't bought a gps in a long time.  Wondering if its worth it to wait till say Black Friday and if u guys think deals can be found.  Or just buy now and have it for the fall.  Gonna stay with a Garmin for the user friendly features. 

Amazon is doing prime days this week I’d keep an eye out there if you are a prime subscriber. 

Are you looking handheld or full size. I was at Mariners mart in Belford a couple weeks ago and they had sale tags on a bunch of stuff. And good guys. 

Buy from a brick and mortar establishment. If you have questions they can be answered. If you have problems they can be resolved. Most places will price match these days. 

I just replaced my unit over the summer.  After running around and searching the internet, basically I found that if you are going Garmin, Raymarine, or Simrad, the prices are pretty much set by the manufacturer.  You might find a rebate or someone who will take a couple of dollars off, but I did not see anything earth shattering.  Most of the savings that I found was if you wanted someone to install it.  They seem to have more room to play in that area.

If you already have a unit and will be pulling for the winter within the next 30 days, I would wait until spring so that your warranty will be in effect while you will be using it the most.  I learned that one the hard way.

20 hours ago, Kml said:

Amazon is doing prime days this week I’d keep an eye out there if you are a prime subscriber. 

Are you looking handheld or full size. I was at Mariners mart in Belford a couple weeks ago and they had sale tags on a bunch of stuff. And good guys. 

Full size.  Ill chk yhem put.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, 31BBert said:

I just replaced my unit over the summer.  After running around and searching the internet, basically I found that if you are going Garmin, Raymarine, or Simrad, the prices are pretty much set by the manufacturer.  You might find a rebate or someone who will take a couple of dollars off, but I did not see anything earth shattering.  Most of the savings that I found was if you wanted someone to install it.  They seem to have more room to play in that area.

If you already have a unit and will be pulling for the winter within the next 30 days, I would wait until spring so that your warranty will be in effect while you will be using it the most.  I learned that one the hard way.

Giod call on the warranty. I hadn't considered thar

13 hours ago, 31BBert said:

true though Westmarine has had some package deals and is good about returns 

1 hour ago, JohnP said:

true though Westmarine has had some package deals and is good about returns 

And i think they are offing rebates up to $100.  Might take a ride over today to confirm.  

Side note/follow up question

I was looking at more display models yesterday and noticed there was no antenna input on the one I was interested in.  Do new models have a built in antenna?

15 mins ago, fishless said:

I was looking at more display models yesterday and noticed there was no antenna input on the one I was interested in.  Do new models have a built in antenna?

Yes. The antenna is internal. 

The other thing is buttons or touch screen. 

I thought that I wanted buttons because a touchscreen with fishy hands is a problem. 

iPad and smartphone has ruined my brain because I touch the screen all the time. Then I say oh yeah buttons.

Edited by Kml

40 mins ago, Kml said:

The other thing is buttons or touch screen. 

I thought that I wanted buttons because a touchscreen with fishy hands is a problem. 

I've seen this "reasoning" multiple times here by now, and only wanted to say this:

Would you rather have fish guts on/in your buttons and nucs-n-crannies, or on a flat screen?

I'd rather wipe down a screen, than deal with crap accumulated on/in buttons,etc.

...which is why I prefer touchscreen only, and wonder at the "old fashioned" reasoning of others for buttons.

For what it's worth...

I bought a Garmin Echomap Plus 64CV this summer for my Whaler from West Marine.  This is probably my 15th Garmin, have always had them and never had an issue.  Was on sale, $100 off.  What I didn't know was that Garmin was discontinuing the model.  Had an issue with temp not working and ended up getting in a heated discussion with Garmin after they made me pay for a new transducer (which did not fix it) and then wanted me to buy a new head unit (at which point I have paid for the entire thing twice, and they would refund me when I sent parts back).

West Marine stepped in and sent me a brand new boxed unit after I had a discussion with the manager.  Works fine now and thankful that I bought from a real retailer with good customer service.  While I still like Garmin, hard to believe they would not be helpful to me after I rattled off all the Garmins I have currently installed on my fleet.

Garmin sets the price.  If you are getting a "deal" in my experience it's because it's about to be discontinued.

I have Garmin touchscreen on my sailboat and like it.  I prefer buttons on fishing boats.

12 hours ago, Sailah said:

I bought a Garmin Echomap Plus 64CV this summer for my Whaler from West Marine.  This is probably my 15th Garmin, have always had them and never had an issue.  Was on sale, $100 off.  What I didn't know was that Garmin was discontinuing the model.  Had an issue with temp not working and ended up getting in a heated discussion with Garmin after they made me pay for a new transducer (which did not fix it) and then wanted me to buy a new head unit (at which point I have paid for the entire thing twice, and they would refund me when I sent parts back).

West Marine stepped in and sent me a brand new boxed unit after I had a discussion with the manager.  Works fine now and thankful that I bought from a real retailer with good customer service.  While I still like Garmin, hard to believe they would not be helpful to me after I rattled off all the Garmins I have currently installed on my fleet.

Garmin sets the price.  If you are getting a "deal" in my experience it's because it's about to be discontinued.

I have Garmin touchscreen on my sailboat and like it.  I prefer buttons on fishing boats.

If it is being discontinued, then that means you are probably only a couple of years away from loosing support for repairs.  These machines become obsolete fast enough without dealing with a short supply of parts.  If you purchase the West Marine warranty, they will just give you a new machine.  That is the good thing about them.  Since the price is fixed by the manufacturer it does not make a difference who you purchase it from because you are not going to get a deal. If one offers a rebate they all do since that is set by the manufacturer.  

I try to purchase from the local mom and pops, but sometimes with a purchase like electronics it is tough to do, especially when it comes to returns and repairs.  

Garmin are super  user friendly and not the cheapest.  My hummingbird was ok all around and I do not like  my Lawrence or any I have played with .it is not user friendly.  

As for touch screen if it's a big unit over 9 inches I'm all for it. On smaller units i like buttons.    

On 10/13/2020 at 9:06 AM, fishless said:

Yes, most of the popular units have built in antennas.

I have a touch screen Furuno. It is easy to keep clean but tough to work when your running. next one I buy will have buttons.