Jimo95

Ideas for retirement gift from work

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

I am getting ready to retire soon and normally my job would buy anyone retiring a watch up to $300.  Everyone knows I started surf fishing recently and I was asked if I would have something related to fishing instead of a watch, which I said of course.  Now here’s my dilemma- I have a 8 ft penn battalion paired with a 4000 Penn Battle II that I use a lot on the surf.  I feel that this rod is too stiff for my liking.  I also have a 10’6” Tsunami Airwave Elite paired with a 5000 Penn Battlle II.  The rod is nice but I would like to get something shorter, like a 9 ft rod.  What are some suggestions on what I should have them get for me for $300?  A nice reel to pair with my Tsunami, a nice rod and use one of my Battles, or a decent rod and reel? Was thinking a 9 ft St. Croix Triumph (the older one) and a Battle 3.   FYI- I will use it for fishing the surf- bucktails, SP minnows, paddletails......

For something like this, I’d request something I wanted (not needed) that I would never be able to justify the spending on for myself.

If that’s a gift card to put a high end reel in your budget, that’s one option. If that’s a new “daily driver” rod that is a cut above what you currently have, if that’s another.

Today, my plugging setup is a Lami and a Tica Libra that are both over 20 years old. They still work (though the reel might be getting ready to finally give up the ghost), so I’d consider which I value/need more (probably the reel right now).

I could justify paying out of pocket for a Sepheros SW but probably not a Saragosa SW right now. So I might ask for the Sepheros. Or I could put $300 towards a VS. I’d want a sealed reel for certain, particularly if my time on the water was about to increase.

For rods, there’s a ton of great gear at that $300 price point that I couldn’t justify but would love to use.

In the end, it should be something you get pleasure in using and that you will use regularly as a reminder of what you achieved over the course of your working life.

Gift card is best option

Here are some things that really helped me while fishing:

Leader walet

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S8ZOP4Q?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Surf bag

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XCKM1LZ?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

These are not affiliate links, just links to the products.

300 bucks is a lot of money and you can get yourself a lot of stuff you will be able to use. Waders are a good idea too since winter is coming, those are warm.

Amazon has a lot of lures, lines, reels, rods etc so if they want you to give them a list of items worth 300 bucks, you can add them to a wishlist on Amazon and share that with them.

Other good options may be bass pro shops, Dick's sporting goods, Tackle Direct, etc.

Edited by Raak

Responding a little late, but one thing you may want to consider is getting something that you might eventually pass down to a child or grandchild, if applicable.   Waders are sensible, but will wear out eventually.  A nice rod or reel, especially if your co-workers have it personalized, is something you can give to an heir, and when they use it they will remember the times you took them fishing, maybe helped them catch their first fish, etc.  Just a thought (and congratulations on your upcoming retirement).

12 hours ago, East Coaster said:

Responding a little late, but one thing you may want to consider is getting something that you might eventually pass down to a child or grandchild, if applicable.   Waders are sensible, but will wear out eventually.  A nice rod or reel, especially if your co-workers have it personalized, is something you can give to an heir, and when they use it they will remember the times you took them fishing, maybe helped them catch their first fish, etc.  Just a thought (and congratulations on your upcoming retirement).

lol I’m not laughing at you but I have been passed down my older cousin’s and my dad’s waders over my younger years full of holes, fish scales, tobacco spit etc