Benny Raw

Box Elder

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

A friend sent me some  box elder (sugar maple) cut offs that were perfectly sized for turning some plugs. From the little bit of reading I've done these aren't going to hold up very well, but man this stuff is really easy to turn, looks beautiful, and they are really lively in the surf. I guess if they catch a few fish before they start to crack it was worth it. Has anyone here had any experience with this variety of wood?

IMG_3266.HEIC

Edited by Benny Raw

Your pic didn’t work ,

but no experience personally . But if ya sealed them well I don’t see why it wouldn’t hold up . I use some pretty soft cedars and after I heat and smear with etex to seal they pretty dam rock hard and hold up reasonably 

Metal lips need some thing pretty buoyant in my limited experience. Might not work out well for them , worst case it would prob make some nice needles 

only one way to find out 

Edited by Wire For Fire

On 10/11/2020 at 5:34 PM, Wire For Fire said:

Metal lips need some thing pretty buoyant in my limited experience. Might not work out well for them , worst case it would prob make some nice needles 

only one way to find out 

This wood is very buoyant, these have all been swimming and stay on top really easily. Sugar maple is not similar to other maples that I’ve turned.