italiasurf

problem (rotor clearance) penn spinfisher V 10500

8 posts in this topic

hello everyone, greetings from Italy ..... at the moment I have 2 penn reels ...... 1 spinfisher V 10500 and 1 spinfisher VI 7500 long cast ........... the problem is with spinfisher V 10500 ........ the rotor goes back 1 cm ....... I tried to replace the pinion and clutch (number 19 and 98) but the problem was not solved .... ..... what can be the problem? ....... maybe I need to add some shims somewhere? ...... the reel works fine, but it has this play on the rotor. Yuri

I wanted to send the reel directly to Penn to show it ....... but the shop told me that between shipping costs (the reel had to go to sweden) and penn processing of the reel, it didn't suit me ..... ... so the shop I turned to, proposed to me (after talking to penn) to buy directly the new spinfisher VI 10500 model at a slightly discounted price ..... but I refused ...... ....... I decided to do it myself, ordering the pinion and clutch (numbers 19 and 98), thinking that the problem was that, but I have not solved anything ........... I found on the internet this forum Stripersonline.com, where I saw that Penn responds directly to their customers, not knowing who to contact to solve the rotor clearance problem.

the clutch (number 98) .... seems to have a little play inside the body ...... which consequently gives play to the rotor ........ I tried to put a new clutch, but the play remains .......... so the problem is not the clutch itself, but the space between the clutch and the body ......... the problem has arisen, when I decided to do maintenance for the first time on this reel, removing the old grease and putting the new grease ............. it is not the first time that I have done maintenance on a reel ... .I have done a lot of maintenance on my reels, but this penn spinfisher V 10500 was the first time I opened it .......... honestly it is the first time that this happens to me, that on a reel after doing maintenance fat replacement) you present this game ..................... Penn not responding?

When you say 'play on the rotor' do you mean it spins 1cm in reverse or that the entire rotor is wobbly side to side?

If you mean wobbly, I would check to see if the rotor nut is tight enough

If by 'rotor clearance' you mean the rotor cup is scraping the reel body, your line lay (is line wrapped towards the bottom of the spool?) would indicate you need a shim on the spindle.

If you're going in reverse (any significant amount), then what Jim said above.

Personally, I would try cleaning the clutch assembly first. I've had anti-reverse issues on 2 Spinfisher Vs (both during very cold, end of season scenarios, when the reels were dirty, cold, wet) that was the result of gunk and old dirty oil. After cleaning, they worked fine, again, until my order (new clutch bearings) came in.

If my advice is not pertinent, please disregard...just thought it might be helpful

21 hours ago, PENN Fishing said:

Italiasurf,

Is the handle spinning backwards?   If the handle spins backwards it is a sign of a failed clutch bearing.  

Jim

yes, handle and rotor turn backwards (0,5 / 1 cm) ........ Penn, by clutch bearing you mean the number 98 (clutch)? .......... I tried to replace the number 98 with a new clutch ..... but nothing has changed ..... I also tried to put a new pinion ........ but nothing has changed ..... ................... I noticed however ... that after inserting the clutch and pinion inside the body .... the clutch has a little play inside of its seat .......... if I try to rotate the pinion, inside the body, the whole clutch makes a small play of 0.1 / 0.2 mm ........ ........... however, if I replace the clutch and pinion with new parts, the play remains

19 hours ago, Livefreeordie said:

When you say 'play on the rotor' do you mean it spins 1cm in reverse or that the entire rotor is wobbly side to side?

If you mean wobbly, I would check to see if the rotor nut is tight enough

If by 'rotor clearance' you mean the rotor cup is scraping the reel body, your line lay (is line wrapped towards the bottom of the spool?) would indicate you need a shim on the spindle.

If you're going in reverse (any significant amount), then what Jim said above.

Personally, I would try cleaning the clutch assembly first. I've had anti-reverse issues on 2 Spinfisher Vs (both during very cold, end of season scenarios, when the reels were dirty, cold, wet) that was the result of gunk and old dirty oil. After cleaning, they worked fine, again, until my order (new clutch bearings) came in.

If my advice is not pertinent, please disregard...just thought it might be helpful

yes .... the rotor turns in reverse by 0.5 / 1 cm ............. I tried to replace the clutch (number 98) with a new clutch ..... but the result does not change

Italiasurf,

As previously stated by Livefreeordie, a loose rotor nut (part 38) can cause some back play in the rotor.  Make sure the rotor nut is secure.  

Your reel has two anti-reverse mechanisms.  The first is the anti-reverse clutch.  The second is a dog with a ratchet built in to the rotor.  If there is 1cm of back play in the rotor then it sounds like only the dog is catching the rotor and the anti-reverse clutch is not working.  

There is a sleeve inside the clutch.  Make sure the sleeve is present.  Without the sleeve the clutch is not in contact with the pinion.  If the sleeve does not contact the pinion the anti-reverse clutch will not function.  

Jim

clutch.jpg