bassmaster

Distance Reel

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

Hey guys, Im having 2 rods made around a VS 150,  I plan on gettinging a gosa 6000 also

rods are century 1265   and     ODM evolution

what I want is a distance reel  that is spool size of 150 for humming needles out there and  sp bomber ect

I see a lot of reels you cant buy here, But have no idea how big they are,   I will be using max Q  20 lb test

this is why I been using my shimano with the ultegra, so i dont get the wobble

No parlell  reels

Flatwing I hope you chime in also :)

p.s. last night they was at my feet LOL

Of course they were at your feet - typical, but when they aren't...

Right now you are happy with the Ultegra yes?

But you want a smaller dia spool based on the fact that the rods under construction are being built around VS150 with 57mm spool dia?

Before you start looking at other reels, try the 5500 out on the 1265 and ODM when they are done.

Can you recall how far from the spool your builder is placing the stripper guides and what size is being used?

Depending on set up of guides and how the Ultegra will play with it, I think you will be cooking with 3-phase gas with the 1265.

Edited by ZAFisher

49 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Of course they were at your feet - typical, but when they aren't...

Right now you are happy with the Ultegra yes?

But you want a smaller dia spool based on the fact that the rods under construction are being built around VS150 with 57mm spool dia?

Before you start looking at other reels, try the 5500 out on the 1265 and ODM when they are done.

Can you recall how far from the spool your builder is placing the stripper guides and what size is being used?

Depending on set up of guides and how the Ultegra will play with it, I think you will be cooking with 3-phase gas with the 1265.

that info I do not know, I told him i wanted to use a 6000 gosa also when he asked me.  I been thinking of a high end reel like a stella, but want long cast options in reels

both rods are getting titanium guides if that helps

I could wait but Tackle junkie :p

a gosa 6000 also,

get gosa 8000 give you beter distance and safer operation,do not fill reel to the top 3/8" from lip off spool,this way you get distance and no wind knot,it is not wing knot it is riped line from spool cosing the knots.

casting distance depend on weight you casting.

if i take 7' ligh/medium rod with cheep daiva cardinal 104 reel and cast 7/8 oz stick,i will cast same distance like 12' rod and gosa 6000 or any long distance reel and any fancy reel.

i tested that.

if you go up with weight to 1 oz

7' rod=163'

12' rod= 233'

1.5 oz

12' rod=300'

7' rod cheep daiva  cardinal 104 ,,,7/8 oz cast 116'-38 y

12' rod 10k speros 136'-45 yards

7' rod 10k speros 136'-45 y

12' rod cheep daiva cardinal 104 163'-54 y,

in this case the cheep reel smaler size perform beter then big reel,price $50 and $250

i never beleve you get what you pay for.

you have to do the work for best price and best performance.

Edited by snag777

1 hour ago, bassmaster said:

I been thinking of a high end reel like a stella, but want long cast options in reels

Stella's cast VERY well, as in biting at the heels of dedicated long casters.

When I build around 14k Stellas (I dont own one but many of my clients do) I test with a 14k Ultegra).

Casting performance of a 8-10k Stella is close to a 5500 Ultegra.

There are those that argue "Why buy the 8k Stella you just lose capacity over the 10k?" but it's not as simple as that.

The slightly smaller 8k uses a shorter handle (smaller rotational dia) and is easier to spin faster when needed.

It just feels better for long casting sessions, but maybe its just me.

If it doesn't have to be sealed, you might really enjoy casting with lighter reel.

The newest stradic 5000 holds 260yrds of 20lb braid and weighs in at around 10 ounces,

which is much less than the 5500. The 5000 is much more comfortable to continuously cast and retrieve lures for me due to its smaller size and much shorter handle throw. As the arms get older, using less effort to cast far makes things easier.

Not to mention that would leave a lot of left over for making more plugs, because it does look like your  supply is running a little low.

Edited by Seakarp
text keeps breaking up

2 hours ago, snag777 said:

a gosa 6000 also,

get gosa 8000 give you beter distance and safer operation,do not fill reel to the top 3/8" from lip off spool,this way you get distance and no wind knot,it is not wing knot it is riped line from spool cosing the knots.

casting distance depend on weight you casting.

if i take 7' ligh/medium rod with cheep daiva reel and cast 7/8 oz stick,i will cast same distance like 12' rod and gosa 6000 or any long distance reel and any fancy reel.

i tested that.

if you go up with weight to 1 oz

7' rod=163'

12' rod= 233'

1.5 oz

12' rod=300'

8000 is heavy reel, had one in my hands today, im not sure how it will balance out with these rods, as there perty light the way im going. and the one thing I do not want is a fast retrieve

who uses them long cast reels from Japan and what size would be on par with a 6000 gosa or vs spool diamater

29 mins ago, Seakarp said:

If it doesn't have to be sealed, you might really enjoy casting with lighter reel.

The newest stradic 5000 holds 260yrds of 20lb braid and weighs in at around 10 ounces,

which is much less than the 5500. The 5000 is much more comfortable to continuously cast and retrieve lures for me due to its smaller size and much shorter handle throw. As the arms get older, using less effort to cast far makes things easier.

Not to mention that would leave a lot of left over for making more plugs, because it does look like your  supply is running a little low.

i get my reels went dont dunk so seals are a plus,   

5 mins ago, bassmaster said:

8000 is heavy reel, had one in my hands today, im not sure how it will balance out with these rods, as there perty light the way im going. and the one thing I do not want is a fast retrieve

who uses them long cast reels from Japan and what size would be on par with a 6000 gosa or vs spool diamater

i do not care on balance ,that do nothing for me.

how hevy is your rod ?

my rod is 10 oz $50 and the 10k speros or gosa work fine.

slow retreve,turn the handle slow,you can maintain proper speed only by counting the turn,1 second turn,2 second turn,3 second turn,only that will give you consistency.you can waist more money but you will not get beter performance then gosa or speros.

4 hours ago, snag777 said:

what is your longest cast with 1 oz plug ?

Never actually used Ashaway, there's a spool somewhere in my basement.  I bet I could do 60-75 feet though, Tossed an SP minnow a measured 160 something feet with my Fathom 12, 50 lb braid, and witnesses

I'm hoping you didn't think my earlier response was not serious

14 hours ago, Stewie said:

Never actually used Ashaway, there's a spool somewhere in my basement.  I bet I could do 60-75 feet though, Tossed an SP minnow a measured 160 something feet with my Fathom 12, 50 lb braid, and witnesses

I'm hoping you didn't think my earlier response was not serious

not at all

there is lot confusion out there,i like to test and find the truth.