jjdbike

Smoked Meatloaf: Fave recipes please?

Rate this topic

49 posts in this topic

Been too long since we've had meatloaf. I've been on a smoker kick this year and am into trying some new things. I looked up recipes and they ranged wildly, as did the reviews. I saw everything from regular meat loaf w/ sautéed onions, peppers & celery, breadcrumbs, butter milk & egg, to sausage and bacon, to cheddar cheese meatloaf. Not looking for anything crazy, just one that's moist & flavorful, w/a BBQ twist.

Due to how wildly these recipes and their reviews ranged, I don't really trust most of them.

I'm hoping some of my smoked foodie friends here chime in and share.

One thing stuck out to me in some of these recipes that at the same time intrigue and worry me.

Many of the recipes online use sausage & bacon. I can see how these would add moistness (i.e. fat) and flavor. Unfortunately, my wife doesn't love sausage. My concern is that too much of these could make it too fatty and too much bacon could make it salty. I'm also a tad concerned that the sausage would detract from, or overpower the beef flavor. In fact, I'm so interested in it have a bold beef flavor I'm considering adding some "Minors Beef Soup Base" to the recipe. 

I appreciate hearing what you've done and prefer when it comes to meatloaf in general and specifically on the grill / smoker. I have a BGE.

Thanks in advance!

JD

P.S. Am I over thinking it? Of course, it's one of my specialties :shrug:

3 hours ago, HugeDinghy said:

Use meatball mix, grate an onion into it and don’t wrap it with bacon. Simple. 

Thanks,

I didn’t know there was such a thing as meatball mix. Is that different from meatloaf mix? In  our local grocery it’s beef, veal & pork.

JD

My wife makes meatloaf with a ground beef and sweet Italian sausage mixture. Peppers and onions in it too. Best meatloaf I've ever had. She actually just made it the other day.

3 hours ago, Steve in Mass said:

Meatloaf mix = beef, veal, pork.

Thanks,

I wonder if this is the same as the meatloaf mix HD was referring to. They sell meatloaf mix here that's beef, veal & pork.

Beef, Pork, Veal mix

onion, peppers, garlic, beaten egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, splash soy sauce, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, splash teriyaki, mustard, its a meatloaf kitchen sink

smoke in tin pan till IT is 190 

coat with mix of glaze last half hr

GLAZE

3/4 cup ketchup

1 ½ tsp white vinegar

2 ½ Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp garlic powder

½ tsp onion powder

¼ tsp ground black pepper

¼ tsp salt

FWIW works well with just 80/20 beef too

Edited by Sandflee

7 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Beef, Pork, Veal mix

onion, peppers, garlic, beaten egg, bread crumbs, ketchup, splash soy sauce, Worcestershire, salt, pepper, splash teriyaki, mustard, its a meatloaf kitchen sink

smoke in tin pan till IT is 190 

coat with mix of glaze last half hr

GLAZE

3/4 cup ketchup

1 ½ tsp white vinegar

2 ½ Tbsp brown sugar

1 tsp garlic powder

½ tsp onion powder

¼ tsp ground black pepper

¼ tsp salt

FWIW works well with just 80/20 beef too

Thanks...

but 190? 160 is supposed to be done. Don't have any connective tissue to break down. I believe Alton Brown said 140 and thumbed his nose to govt. recommendation of 160.

14 mins ago, Steve in Mass said:

Really, 190? Uck. I am with Alton, 140 is plenty.

Thanks Steve.

I figure, one can always put a few slices in for a little longer (for my wife). Can't uncook.

I'll report out. Doin it this weekend.

JD