cheech

Casting a spinner- Do you pinch the line against the rod or ......?

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Surfcasting with spinning gear is relatively new to me, I always used round reels. When casting a spinner I pinch the line against the rod with my index finger. I asked some buddies on the beach yesterday, they both hold the line off the rod when they cast. I tried their method, it worked ok, but it seemed like less control and power. To pinch or not to pinch, that is the question.

1 hour ago, cheech said:

Surfcasting with spinning gear is relatively new to me, I always used round reels. When casting a spinner I pinch the line against the rod with my index finger. I asked some buddies on the beach yesterday, they both hold the line off the rod when they cast. I tried their method, it worked ok, but it seemed like less control and power. To pinch or not to pinch, that is the question.

I have done the same thing since I was 10. Can’t cast any other way and I cast just fine. Don’t sweat it.

26 mins ago, redfin said:

I have done the same thing since I was 10. Can’t cast any other way and I cast just fine. Don’t sweat it.

Same here, like since 10 years old.

I can cast pretty far.

Pinched with index against the rod.

Never knew there was a "proper" way.

Edited by Daylight

now you showing me how you get cut in your finger.

i am casting spiner 50 years,never had cut ny finger with braid,never use protection casting any size loore for 8 hours.

i allways pinch the line ageinst rod hard,this way it can not slip to cut my finger.

not pinching ageinst rod,you can get avay with light lures ,to not get cut or you have to use finger protection.

i only use gloves when is freezing your line when you casting,when braid is freezing i change spool to mono line.

3 hours ago, cheech said:

I have seen people casting spinners as you described, fw and sw. They hold the line with their left hand while casting the rod with their right or vise versa. Those guys are always asking me how come I cast so much further. I tried to teach one younger person the proper way to hold and cast a spinner and he handled it like I was trying to teach him how to perform brain surgery. I don't bother trying to teach others anymore after that, they can remain stumped why I cast further with similar set-ups.

I don't know how these people learned to cast that way or who taught them to cast that way. Watch any fishing show and you will see the proper casting form and hand positions for a spinner. 

4 mins ago, pakalolo said:

never heard of pinching the line against the rod to cast , guess I've been doing it wrong for the last 50 or so years.

Pinching the line to the rod or holding the line with your finger are both proper ways of casting a spinner; I do both interchangeably, but this is not what the OP is talking about.

What the OP is referring to are those guys who hold the line with their opposite hand on the cast like morons.

8 mins ago, pakalolo said:

never heard of pinching the line against the rod to cast , guess I've been doing it wrong for the last 50 or so years.

i never herd no pinching the line.

just trubleshoot that,what is corect way,can be done bouth ways.

you need finger protection.

i do not need finger protection.

you can not set the drag properly,your drag is to tight,that is reason why people have brake off lure.

if you set your drag light ,your line will slip and you cut your finger.

24 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

I have seen people casting spinners as you described, fw and sw. They hold the line with their left hand while casting the rod with their right or vise versa. Those guys are always asking me how come I cast so much further. I tried to teach one younger person the proper way to hold and cast a spinner and he handled it like I was trying to teach him how to perform brain surgery. I don't bother trying to teach others anymore after that, they can remain stumped why I cast further with similar set-ups.

I don't know how these people learned to cast that way or who taught them to cast that way. Watch any fishing show and you will see the proper casting form and hand positions for a spinner. 

In freshwater, with spinning gear, I will often cup the spool with my left hand to control distance and hit nearby targets. But if I’m going for distance or don’t need precision, the line is in the first joint of my index finger and held there by weight of the lure and not pinched against the rod.

20 mins ago, snag777 said:

i never herd no pinching the line.

just trubleshoot that,what is corect way,can be done bouth ways.

you need finger protection.

i do not need finger protection.

you can not set the drag properly,your drag is to tight,that is reason why people have brake off lure.

if you set your drag light ,your line will slip and you cut your finger.

Nothing true in your statement, no finger protection, you’ve never fished with me so you have no clue on how I set my drag. Not sure what the rest of your post means