felfel

Servicing older Van Staal reels

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Rob had a custom machined felt-lined  tool that clamped around the side plate stem. Imagine "smooth" felt-lined vise-grips, The tool did not look like them but worked in a similar manner.

On 10/11/2020 at 0:56 AM, felfel said:

I have older Van staal reel with rounded side plate and having trouble opening the side plate . Any tools or tricks to open this type of reels ?

This is what was used when l went to VS the plant is 1996 at the plant they were two half and clamped together, mine l made for field use it works had it since 1998. 

DSC02685.JPG.e9bd1ff27205280430e6989b8d4073bb.JPG

DSC02689.JPG.0a78d2a3749bb7cae964c70851a2f7f7.JPG

DSC02687.JPG.692d5a8ac7336b943f974ad2d479b4ed.JPG

DSC02686.JPG.6586089b0043664e9220ff802072b3cc.JPG

This is what is needed to take the real early VS100/150 all bearing were pressed fit even on the pinion and side cover now all bearings are slip fit.

Made these tools in 2003 when l was doing my friends VS100/150 reels

DSC02780.JPG.0b9a6f7d26bd7a414b1626086e0c036c.JPG

I own Van stall VS 200, vs 250 and VS 150  and all of them  when you turn the handle fast you notice the rotor wobble. Is this normal with VS reels ?

Thank you,

Naoufel,

3 hours ago, felfel said:

I own Van stall VS 200, vs 250 and VS 150  and all of them  when you turn the handle fast you notice the rotor wobble. Is this normal with VS reels ?

Thank you,

Naoufel,

How old are these reels, do they have an internal or external counterbalance?

lf they have a reel with internal counterbalance lead weight in the rotor these reels will have some wobble when you turn the reel fast. 

My VS100 (1997) has an internal counterbalance  has some wobble when turning the handle fast but once on the rod with regular retrieve there is nothing,

Now if all your reels have the chrome counterbalance mounted outside on the rotor and you have a wobble the pinion bushing could be worn out l could only guess as to what is worn with it without seeing the reels.

lf your reels are real old reels without waterproof drags ( none sealed drag in the spool ) there could a big problem.

Let me know what reels you have, l might be able to help you out further.

lnternal or external balance, waterproof drag or not.

if you don't how to tell the difference take pictures of the rotor and spool with spool out of the reel. 

Thank you very much for getting back to me. The VS 200 is older model with internal counter balance, VS 250 and VS 150 is newer models less than 3 years old . 

All of the reels wobble 

Thank you

For the older reel l need more information on the reel picture of the spool shaft and spool.

The newer reels should have no wobble, my son and l have the newer style VS150 reel ( china made )  his 8 years old, and mine is 4yrs old with no wobble.

My old reel VS200 #375 had a wobble and the spool was none waterproof drag. Sold it 10 yrs ago.

The older VS200 serial # 694, not sealed spool. All reels wobble with spool on or without spool.

I service them myself . Never paid attention to the wobble until recently i service them and i just spin them fast and noticed the wobble. 

l believe the first pic gold reel isVS200 what #?, that is what my 200 #375 looks like, the gold reel has Penn style drag system. none waterproof drag, dose the rotor rock when you push side to side is there play?

Can't tell what is wrong with the silver ones they are later reels USA or China?

Do any of the reels the rotors rock have any play?

The gold one is VS 200 USA made serial 694  and the silver is china made newer models less than 3 years old. Rotor on all reels is very tight no wobble side to side only when i spin fast i see the wobble.

I'm attaching a video showing the wobble when i spin fast .

IMG_1363.MOV

OK that helps VS200 no play your lucky is this reel oil filled? my reel was and l aways did an oil change twice a year id summer and end of the season this just ensures that no water got into the reel simple unscrew side cover look inside and put back fresh oil. 

My VS100 is an oil filled type reel l do the same with this reel as l did with my VS200, the VS100 is 23yrs old now.

l can play the movie for some reason using Linux Mint not windows.

Edited by LB