Jefffahfffah

Glow vs black lures?

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

So this seems to be a relatively comon question elsewhere, but I thought I'd ask for some opinions...

I have seen people debating whether light or dark colored lures are better at night, but with the new moon approaching I thought I'd ask what you guys reach for when it's pitch black in the middle of the night.

I just bought some black bucktails with some black curled otter tails, as well as some glow in the dark white bucktails to pair with white and red curled otter tails. 

Do y'all ever use glowing lures of any kind? How to do think they fare against black/blurple lures? Any preference?

When any of my lures shows too much wear I will usually paint them white or black.. The black lures may they be wood or metal I use for night fishing.. I find that the color black works best at night..

Depends what you’re targeting.  Never had much success with glowing presentations for striped bass.  
Dark patterns on black nights - lots of success. 

Definitely black on dark nites. If you'd look in my plug crate right now, I bet a 3rd or so are black/ dark. I fish many during nite tides tho. As far as dark bucktails go.

I've spent alot of time trying to get an edge with wine or black colored bucktails. I can say I never they gave me an advantage. To the level where all I carry is white. I'm not saying that dark colored bucktails don't work, cause they do. But, I never had a nite where i thought they made a huge difference.

That's just my own observations 

I've been curious about anyone's positive experience with glow in any application.

I've thought about it over the years, as...obvioulsy it can be seen and I often go w/white/yellow/chartreuse for that reason.

At the same time...from a "match the hatch" perspective, no prey actually emits light that I know of.  As such, I don't own or throw glow.

I think the only thing "glow" I've ever thrown even a  little bit with no success I recall would be a Heddon Crazy Crawler on top for LMB.

Edited by MaxKatt

25 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

I've been curious about anyone's positive experience with glow in any application.

I've thought about it over the years, as...obvioulsy it can be seen and I often go w/white/yellow/chartreuse for that reason.

At the same time...from a "match the hatch" perspective, no prey actually emits light that I know of.  As such, I don't own or throw glow.

I think the only thing "glow" I've ever thrown even a  little bit with no success I recall would be a Heddon Crazy Crawler on top for LMB.

The only fishing which I’ve used glow in the dark lures effectively was Great Lakes brown trout at night.  We used glow in the dark Kastmasters metals.

11 hours ago, DZ said:

Depends what you’re targeting.  Never had much success with glowing presentations for striped bass.  
Dark patterns on black nights - lots of success. 

Agreed. Never found too much action with glow lures for bass...Crazy Alberto used to fish a bunch of them, when I'd turn the light off in his garage about three or four percent of the lures hanging on the wall would glow :)  I have a picture of it somewhere...I'll poke around for it. But my personal experience aligns with yours, glowing lures for bass in my opinion is a turn off for bass...it's not even a neutral reaction...they bite any other color better the times I've done experimenting with glowing lures.  

If I'm forced to choose between glow or black on a dark night I'll take black every time. If I have realistic options I'll throw lots of colors on a dark night to see what they want - sometimes it's black or pink or black/purple or white or black scale or parrot or yellow/white...it's certainly not automatically black :)

TimS

I think the only thing "glow" I've ever thrown even a  little bit with no success I recall would be a Heddon Crazy Crawler on top for LMB.

Never have I found a big advantage to "glow" in the salt, even for groundfish. For freshwater, there are many application where I have found "glow" can make a big difference; For LM and SM I stick a bit of glow tape on the underside of my night time topwater, on nights when the bass are missing or short strikes are happening I hit that "dot" with a light and I start hooking up. Just as may hits, without the misses! Lake Trout are suckers for glow, fishing side by side it has proven itself, and many days you will be out-fished if you down have the "glow". Many times I have catch Hornpout with just a bit of glow tape folded over on a bare hook. When jigging at night through the ice the crappy eat the mousie on the glow jig, pout try to eat the glow jig! Walleye often hit glow. I would not be surprised if there was a good application for glow with stripers, (maybe a "dot" application like with LM & SM?) but I have not seen it yet. 

1 hour ago, MaxKatt said:

I almost always fish a glow teaser on party boats for groundfish, and I least keep up, if not outfish most of the boat. I go with a mild glow though, I don't want a searchlight, just a little attention-getter. Lots of bioluminescence in the food chain.

Color does matter

new moon 1 month, they wanted black bombers and dark plugs, Yet my white wonder danny was getting fish.

Then another new moon  and there on white  sp    yet would not touch a black plug.  so color does matter