ACFishing

Montauk Newbie

Rate this topic

5 posts in this topic

I've decided that I'm making a trip to Montauk leaving tonight. Does anybody have any tips on where to fish (Feel free to PM) or the basics of fishing in Montauk. I plan to fish from early morning to prob sunset then back to Jersey I go. This seemed to not get much love in the Ny section so here it goes.

After paying $8 to park at the lighthouse, (they were still charging yesterday),you walk down to the ocean, and have at it. The NYS Empire pass gets you in free! Yesterday the south side  (town side of the light)was barely fishable with the big SW wind, so everyone was on the north side. Plan on a lot of walking

11 hours ago, cheech said:

After paying $8 to park at the lighthouse, (they were still charging yesterday),you walk down to the ocean, and have at it. The NYS Empire pass gets you in free! Yesterday the south side  (town side of the light)was barely fishable with the big SW wind, so everyone was on the north side. Plan on a lot of walking

Well for an update, I got there early in the dark so I didn't pay a cent. Fished the north side and as you said lots and lots of walking and the addition of me falling on my a** multiple times this morning. I didn't expect the amount of random rocks and other debris waiting for me in the water. Luckily I wasn't too much of a Newbie to forget spikes so as long as I got a rock I was fine. Seemed to be chasing more than catching but hey that's basically blitz fishing, Majority of the blitzes stayed generally just out of reach of our plugs. However, when the Blitzes came close we would be able to pick off a couple, I ended with 6 bass, for the time being I was out there that seemed to be quite a lot of fish for everyone out there. Wind was fine and manageable and the waves would knock me but it wasn't too bad, got some fish and back to Jersey I go. Definitely see another Montauk trip again soon or next year.

17 mins ago, Soda Jerk said:

Make sure your reel can handle water, then use rod as a cane as you walk.  Learned this the hard way.

Ah yes, I have a Staal so it's all good. And yes the rod as a cane works wonders especially climbing on those rocks