fishing bum wannabe

Van Staal VR service kits

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

Is there a self service kit for VR reels. I’ve serviced my own reels forever. I’ve been inside my VRs checking for water intrusion  (none) and cleaning drag washers and slipping anti-reverse. How often should seals be replaced (my reels are 1-3 years old, I have 4)? Are there kits for this?

On 10/10/2020 at 7:18 PM, fishing bum wannabe said:

Is there a self service kit for VR reels. I’ve serviced my own reels forever. I’ve been inside my VRs checking for water intrusion  (none) and cleaning drag washers and slipping anti-reverse. How often should seals be replaced (my reels are 1-3 years old, I have 4)? Are there kits for this?

l just worked on 4 VR reel this week fishing buddies freebies, main housing body seals should last a long time the one that gets a lot of high-speed rotation are the ones you should be concerned with everything that is connected to the rotor main seal and spool shaft seals, the main Pinion seal is the same seal that is used in the VS100/150 the other seal is the spool shaft seal l don't if one from another VS reel would work as of now but l will find out.

One of the reels had a bad main seal water got into the clutch bearing one of the bearings in the pinion assembly no water got into the reel so that was good, found the parts buy me in a tackle shop that does VS repairs all the reels got new main and spool shaft seals there up and run.

How often should seals be replaced (my reels are 1-3 years old, I have 4)? Are there kits for this? THAT IS A GOOD QUESTION, the seals that should be changed are the hardest ones to get at the easy one is the spool shaft take pinion pack out of the body and just pick out the seal, now the main seal requires you to remove the pinion from the assembly to take the assembly apart.

Watch this video at 6mim in he will take the pinion assembly apart. Pinion could be very hard to remove l had two of the reels that were almost impossible to remove the pinion l bent an Allen key trying, l had to make a tool from a 7/16 nut driver file a slot across the opening so it would go over the pinion 7/16 nut driver slides right over the pinion perfect for the big VR, not the VR50s

TURN CLOCKWISE TO LOSEN PINION

http://vwuzBZLh.jpg

http://mZrK71Eh.jpg

Cross drill handle 1/4" hole so you can insert a pin or screw handle to act as a T handle

http://P8cI7Nfh.jpg

Some seals and O rings from the the VS100-150 will fit the VR reels, l believe side cover O ring main pinion seal l just serviced a VR150 and a VR175 and changed those seal ready for spring time.

2 hours ago, Nachofish321 said:

New to the forum here but great information.  Any word about seal replacement compatibility?  Also, is there a schematic with the appropriate part numbers ?  Thanks.

You will only get there part number from the schematic with means nothing you won't get the real part number from the the O ring or seal manufacture, part munber will be found on the part itself them you take it from there and seek them out must will be found on the Dbay. seals and bearings or McMaster Carr.

lf you can come up with part numbers off the part you want l might be able to tell you where to get them.

I’m trying to purchase all seals.  Intend on buying another VR 150.  However, had some trouble putting it back together so really don’t want to tear it down.  Looked it over 2 weeks ago but didn’t think about taking them out for part numbers or measurements.  Also, have a metric measuring tape and pretty sure that will not help as it doesn’t measure mm.  Figured someone could list all seals/o rings. I read the forums about the 2 different manufacturers to purchase and also noticed eBay.  However, for the price on eBay Incan buy a pack of 100, I believe.  I guess I joined 2 weeks too late!

2 hours ago, Nachofish321 said:

I’m trying to purchase all seals.  Intend on buying another VR 150.  However, had some trouble putting it back together so really don’t want to tear it down.  Looked it over 2 weeks ago but didn’t think about taking them out for part numbers or measurements.  Also, have a metric measuring tape and pretty sure that will not help as it doesn’t measure mm.  Figured someone could list all seals/o rings. I read the forums about the 2 different manufacturers to purchase and also noticed eBay.  However, for the price on eBay Incan buy a pack of 100, I believe.  I guess I joined 2 weeks too late!

O rings will be package 25-50 or 100 per package depending on size Quad seals same way lip seals are sold per seal, bearing are sold per each. l buy most of what l need from McMaster Carr.

for seals and Bearings, l say away from Dbay unless the brand name is showing.

l aim compiling a list for seal and O rings and bearings for the VR125 to 200 reels l'm not in a rush but it will get done.

l just did my friends VR50 but l didn't pay much attention to the O rings and seals they were fine just a cleaning and re-lube.

Id very much like to have that info. I have a couple of VRs that are 2-3 years old and I haven't replaced any seals, just opened and checked everything. This year I had a little trouble with an anti reverse. Flushed it and related it but I think it's time for new seals.

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

1 hour ago, LB said:

O rings will be package 25-50 or 100 per package depending on size Quad seals same way lip seals are sold per seal, bearing are sold per each. l buy most of what l need from McMaster Carr.

for seals and Bearings, l say away from Dbay unless the brand name is showing.

l aim compiling a list for seal and O rings and bearings for the VR125 to 200 reels l'm not in a rush but it will get done.

l just did my friends VR50 but l didn't pay much attention to the O rings and seals they were fine just a cleaning and re-lube.

Looking forward to that info when you get around to it.

Speaking of lube, is there a source for The lube that Van Staal uses in their reels or do you have an alternate product (grease/oil) that would work?

This what l use been using for over 15 yrs mix with power steering fluid or 5/20 or just lite motor oil l make a summer and winter blend, thicker for the summer and thinner for the winter, cheap and a tub and one quart of oil will make you a lot of reel lube.

Put an Allen key in a drill and mix.

Use on my VS VR ABUs and all my other reels.

5fa75a4aaa4b4_Screenshotfrom2020-11-0721-19-29.png.b2ce636bc54649749a9d16658c815bec.png

I have a friend that has never opened his VS reels in over 10 years. He uses them for Cobia fishing in the spring. They are working fine.

I would use a grease that is O ring and rubber safe. Or a just synthetic gear oil.