blackdogfish

Starter bass baitcaster reel:. Shimano SLX or Caeman?

23 posts in this topic

Recently lost my Caeman 151, which seemed to be pretty nice. Now I need to replace it. Still want to stay in the $100 range. The newer Shimano SLX 151 is the same price as the Caeman 151. Any advice either way?

man, im too looking for a caster around 150 range or below..how much is the SLX going for now? Caeman was in my consideration and Casitas which fall under $100 but i will be using for salt..

The SLX and the Caeman are both $100. The Caeman is getting tough to find. I don't know anything about the guts of these so just looking for someone who knows both and can make a comparison.

The SLX is available in three different gear ratios...the Caeman is 6.3:1....which is what I want anyway.

14 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

Recently lost my Caeman 151, which seemed to be pretty nice. Now I need to replace it. Still want to stay in the $100 range. The newer Shimano SLX 151 is the same price as the Caeman 151. Any advice either way?

You definitely want the SLX. 

1 min ago, LockedDrag said:

If you’re in RI, I have a 151 caenan I am looking to get rid of. I’m going to add it to my BST thread. Only used maybe 5 times and caught maybe 10 fish. 

I will check BST. Thanks

1 min ago, LockedDrag said:

If you’re in RI, I have a 151 caenan I am looking to get rid of. I’m going to add it to my BST thread. Only used maybe 5 times and caught maybe 10 fish. 

4 hours ago, Tourstage said:

how was the caeman? no chance to try any of them yet.. with both the same line cap, the slx seem abit heavier? 

The Caenan is plasticky graphite (non Ci4), the SLX is aluminum frame (with graphite sideplates). 

On 10/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, LockedDrag said:

Hi.

I don't see your reel on the BST.

16 hours ago, blackdogfish said:

Hi.

I don't see your reel on the BST.

If you want external brakes go slx xt or Tranx 200

The tatula 200 or ct is a good bet too.

On 10/11/2020 at 10:24 AM, LockedDrag said:

Saw your ad. I was looking for a post with just the Caenan so missed it at first.  Thanks.  Continue over there.

I have the SLX DC. The braking system is great, but I find that the reel has more handle resistance than my Daiwa Fuego CT (even with spool tension relatively low).  Overall though, I think the SLX is a good reel and would recommend it.  

I recently bought a piscifun torrent and love it.  It's 7:1:1 gear ratio and haven't had any problems with it.  Minimal backlashing, casts well.  Also think the kastking royal legend elite is a good value reel but durable. Fish on

If you're not in a rush and can wait a few weeks, see what's out there for black Friday deals.  I know some people hate them put I've had good luck with the KastKing Royal Legend last black friday it was around $40. I use it in my float tube basically because if drop it over the side and loose it its not a big deal.  

Now if you bump you budget up $50 you can get the Scorpion MGL from over seas.  Otherwise get the SLX