whaler1889

2002 Yamaha 200 hpdi service recommendations

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Need to find repair shop to service and maintain my Yamaha outboard.  Don't want to get into details why I'm dropping my existing shop.  I could do the work myself, just tired of it and would prefer to spend my time on other more productive activities.   My boat is on a trailer and I keep it between outer cape and Dedham, MA area, so along route 3 and 6 would be ideal. Thanks in advance. 

Good luck, you may need it. I bought a V4 Yamaha crate engine in Alabama several years ago. It's been great but last year it started acting up. Took in around to 5 dealers/marina's on the North Shore and struck out. Initial question was always "...did you buy it here?".. A friend said to use his name at the last place I went to, which I did. Person I was talking to asked me if I saw the mechanics he had working on engines when I walked into the place and then said something to the effect that he couldn't help me because he was sure that while they were all good, probably none of them had ever worked on a 2S engine.

13 hours ago, makorider said:

How can a Yam dealer not work on a Yam....any yam?

Plenty of guys with older Yamis by me can’t get cert repair shops to call them back.

Most places are understaffed and don’t have enough mechanics 

heard some of the same with diesels, 

not so much a problem if you keep your boat at a marina and you are forbidden to bring in outside techs. But who wants that  

The two shops that rejected me told me that they have great Yamaha techs, however, they want to retain them and are not interested in adding staff as it requires facility expansion also along with other problems and they don't want to stress out their staff and create additional problems.  I can see that.  Its also difficult to find young talent that wants to do this type of work today.  

I was a mechanical manufacturing engineer the last 25 years of my career and the biggest complaint I heard from my suppliers is the difficulty in recruiting top notch technician talent.  Many don't want to get their hands dirty anymore.

I've got a great guy in Providence RI if you are interested in a little drive.  He works on my 2003 200 HPDI's and knows these motors like the back of his hand!  DM me if you want his contact info.

Cheers

On 10/13/2020 at 3:55 PM, powerplay said:

I've got a great guy in Providence RI if you are interested in a little drive.  He works on my 2003 200 HPDI's and knows these motors like the back of his hand!  DM me if you want his contact info.

Cheers

PM

Troubleshooting 2 strokes can sometimes be like digging a hole into rocky soil.

It also becomes expensive because you need to trade time vs part replacement. Sometimes, the amount of time and parts can quickly exceed the value of the engine. 

On 10/19/2020 at 1:55 PM, NHAngler said:

Troubleshooting 2 strokes can sometimes be like digging a hole into rocky soil.

It also becomes expensive because you need to trade time vs part replacement. Sometimes, the amount of time and parts can quickly exceed the value of the engine. 

A 2 stroke is simplicity itself unless you are taking about newer direct injection models. Any good mechanic with experience on them can fix them blindfolded. Have a guy in NH who is just that. Keep looking

11 hours ago, Stonesipher said:

A 2 stroke is simplicity itself unless you are taking about newer direct injection models

High Pressure Direct Injection

On 10/13/2020 at 3:55 PM, powerplay said:

Cheers

Any chance his initials are PW?