RockRonin

Wind Knot Head Scratcher

Rate this topic

55 posts in this topic

I'm fishing a Torque 5 bailless and getting line twist and wind knots. I follow all the correct procedures: Never crank against the drag, pull out line after casting to maintain spool tension, the roller spins freely, lures swim correctly...I'm at a loss. I'm getting industrial grade wind knots on a setup that shouldn't be throwing wind knots and have wound up cutting about 25-30 yds of line off my spool 5 and 10 yds at a time. I use an FG knot for my leader, usually don't cast it through the guides, the line is machine spooled.

My thoughts are: I'm overspooled and need to use less line, or it's the line itself (Maxcuatro 40lb hi vis yellow), but neither of those two thing would contribute to line twist, which I'm getting and which I believe is the main reason I think for the wind knots.

Any ideas?

I just got a new Saltx4000. I loaded line almost to the edge of the spool, like I do with my VRs. I had 3 “wind knots” In the first 10-20 casts. Cut back the line increasing the Setback from the spool edge to a little less than 1/8” and all is fine. Line lays are different for different reels, some reels being much better than others. The line lay from having the spool machine loaded doesn’t matter after the first long cast you make the line you that you cast will be whatever your reel does. Not to mention that the I’ve seen a lot of machine spoolings were not well done. Best thing to do is find a long empty space, tie the end of your line to something and walk until the spool is empty, then reel it back under a moderate tension. Your line spooling and line lay will be the best you ever had. By the way, I really like the Saltx, even with the increased line setback from the edge of the spool it casts fine.

Edited by fishing bum wannabe

Based on my experience with penn reels, they don’t like to be over spooled. Had the same issue as you with a slammer 3, everything was done right yet, I had a touch to much line on the spool. Once I cleared it ( several times ) it all settled in. The slammer has 20lb PP on it.

What are you throwing?  Tins, epoxies, and pretty much any lure can twist the line especially when there's lot of sweep or wind. Sometimes just pinching the line like you would on a pencil retrieve helps to make sure the line goes back on the spool tight without loops or issues.

1 hour ago, RockRonin said:

I'm fishing a Torque 5 bailless and getting line twist and wind knots. I follow all the correct procedures: Never crank against the drag, pull out line after casting to maintain spool tension, the roller spins freely, lures swim correctly...I'm at a loss. I'm getting industrial grade wind knots on a setup that shouldn't be throwing wind knots and have wound up cutting about 25-30 yds of line off my spool 5 and 10 yds at a time. I use an FG knot for my leader, usually don't cast it through the guides, the line is machine spooled.

My thoughts are: I'm overspooled and need to use less line, or it's the line itself (Maxcuatro 40lb hi vis yellow), but neither of those two thing would contribute to line twist, which I'm getting and which I believe is the main reason I think for the wind knots.

Any ideas?

spining reel is made for mono but is sold for braid,the braid reel should have 1/4" biger  top lip on spool to preven riping off braid from spool.no any defrence machined spool with braid,

when you put braid on make sure the line is 3/8" smaler then outside diameter,if you do not have good capacyty line go to biger reel and have 3/8" or 1/4" space.

with your reel you have to find maximum capacity and it help carie 2 extra spools,do not cut line just change the spool and untengle home.i can not find any magnifying good glasys to see the knot,i think we need 10x is 1000% mognyfying glasis with focus at least 4",i got of ebay 20x magnufying but focus is 1" you can not work on that,that is good advertisment but ****ing garbige product,same like the reels.

As long as there's no dramatic caving of the shape/profile of line lay on the spool... It's something in your retrieve. 

I don't know of a single name brand reel now that induces wind knots outside of that star piece of garbage or maybe a 706z.

Lines being pulled of ahead of when it should.... Nothing more nothing less... Only way that can happen is if there is a loose coil or loop. 

I think I've put more hours on a wider variety of reels than 99.9 percent of the fishing population and I spool tight to the lip maybe a 1/16th...(often less) 

I don't have any issues... I over spooled the spinfisher just to see and performed beautifully (same as the slammer) 

If slack line retrieving is required I make sure to tension the line at multiple points  in the retrieve... It's second nature... Hell I even do it with baitcasters 

7 hours ago, ne_dan said:

What are you throwing?  Tins, epoxies, and pretty much any lure can twist the line especially when there's lot of sweep or wind. Sometimes just pinching the line like you would on a pencil retrieve helps to make sure the line goes back on the spool tight without loops or issues.

Plugs mostly and soft plastics, none of which would normally contribute to the twisted line. You'd be able to see if they were spiraling, not to say that every once in a while you don't retrieve a fouled plug, but there's serious twist in the line, so much that I took a sharpie and marked the roller to seed if it was rotating freely, and it was.

The line lay is near perfect on the spool. I fish plugs/bucktails/soft plastics mostly, so my retrieve is very slow, it's possible I'm not creating enough tension as the line stacks on the spool. I just pressed on it with my thumbnail and it feels kind of soft while full, so I'll try tensioning at multiple points, but that still leaves the line twist which is what's got me scratching my head. Maybe once a session or less I'll foul my leader on a belly hook while casting, that wouldn't be enough to account for the amount of twist in the line. I took a sharpie and marked my roller and it definitely spins freely. I can't think of anything else that could cause the twisting besides reeling against the drag, which I never do. I frickin' love the reel, it's my workhorse, so before I spend $35 respooling it, I'd love to figure out WTF I'm doing that's twisting the line I have on right now.

spinning reel is made for mono but is sold for braid

I would argue the availability and mainstream use of braid has in fact lead to the superb spinning reels we have now.

If slack line retrieving is required I make sure to tension the line at multiple points  in the retrieve... It's second nature... Hell I even do it with baitcasters 

This from Scooby

I agree with Scooby post but I have to say, some Penn reels are more finicky then others when it comes to full spools.

I have an SSV 4500 that is spooled full, covering the last line on the spool. Never had a knot with that reel. The 6500 I have won't let me put that much line on. I have to have the last line exposed.

I have the same issue between  a Slammer 6500 and a 5500. Can't spool the 5500 as much as the 6500.

The Shimanos I have are spooled just a hair under the lip, never had a knot.

Haven't had any issues with my torque 5 bailess that weren't my fault. I'm using 50# spiderwire ultracast x8, mostly because I fish heavy nasty structure and it's 50% off in most tackle shops in my area. I also use 30# when structure isn't an issue and I want some better distance fishing flats and poppers. 30 definitely handles a good deal better than 50# on a reel of this size. 

All of my wind knots have been from classical causes, loop over top of spool before retrieving (almost non-existent with bailess reels vs bailed ones) or slack line retrieving. I spool all my reels with the reel itself; feel that machine spooling can mess with how the reel will handle line and hides how it will lay line on it's own. I always try to keep tension on the line while retrieving. Haven't fished slugs or super snax much here so haven't had to deal with slack line retrieving there.

Is your line roller actually turning? That could be one thing causing your line twist. The sealed bearings in my torque's roller siezed on me. Replaced with a set of hybrid ceramics with full contact rubber seals and hasn't been a problem since. I pack the **** out of them with grease.

All spinning reels will twist line naturally, just by design. To one degree or another. Braid is a lot more forgiving of line twist than mono is.