Beachglass Guru

Centaur rods... Let's discuss

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I want to talk about centaur rods.. who's using them.  What rods?.. targeting what?..  What are your thoughts...

I've been a huge fan of centaur terminal tackle for a few years now. Single in-lines, split rings, solid rings, bb swivels... All top notch stuff, and now my preference over even Owner for many things...

Recently I was out fishing commercial with a friend.. part of the day was spent jigging a limit of seabass.. I got a chance to bend a few of the constellation series of rods and I was very impressed. Especially at that price point...

So I decided to pick up a few of their rods and give them a shot...

Yesterday I went out fishing commercial again. I brought 2 constellation rods.

The slow jigging conventional acid wrapped 213SLO-65BUL paired with an Okuma Komodo SS 273..

And the Light Jigging Spinning rod 213LIG-63SUL paired with a VR-50 ..

Both pairings were feather light and an absolute pleasure to fish for the 12 hours we were out.

Over the course of the afternoon these rods handled hundreds of big seabass without effort, which didn't surprise me, what did surprise me was how well they handled the by-catch...

I was testing some new prototype slow jigs that I've been working on and to say they were effective would be an understatement.. they caught literally everything that there was to catch. From their intended target, seabass, to bonita and Albie's, porgy, bluefish, tog (never before in my life have I caught tog on slow jigs), and striped bass..

Mid way through the day a locked into what I assumed was a hammer seabass, when I got it to the surface it was a beautiful 9lb tog. I was so impressed at how the light jigging spinning rod handled that fish. At no point would I have assumed a 9lb tog was on my jig judging by the bend in the rod.. a few drops later I was into a school of 15+lb blues.. again I was amazed at how well the rod handled.. 

Later that day we came into a school of absolute monster bass.. I legitimately could not get my jig past them to the ground fish below.. drop after drop resulted in 40+ lb (over slot) fish.. 2 came up over 50lbs (measured, not scaled, they never left the water) and 1 came up (my PB) over 60 (right as we were being boarded by the coast guard... I was happy to see them out checking boats).. all were on the slow jigging acid wrapped 213SLO-65BUL..

The bend was intense but at no point did I feel like the rod was outgunned..

For such light and fun rods to fish, I was seriously impressed by their power...

Are many of you guys using any centaur rods?

I'd like to hear some feedback about how your using them, for what, and your experience with them...

Thanks 

got a centaur ultra light 7'3 inshore rod, it's good for casting lower range 5g to 20g lures. very impressed with the quality and overall build for the rod. At 120 ish it's really good. Not sure about longevity since I only got it this year. 

13 hours ago, shu said:

got a centaur ultra light 7'3 inshore rod, it's good for casting lower range 5g to 20g lures. very impressed with the quality and overall build for the rod. At 120 ish it's really good. Not sure about longevity since I only got it this year. 

Is that a freshwater or saltwater rod? What rod series is it?

I haven't seen the inshore rods.. I've seen various jigging rods pop up around instagram over the last 2 years..

I've also seen one of their bottom fishing rods on a buddies boat (honestly I was a bit underwhelmed by it). Looked like your average meat stick..

When I looked on their website it seems they have a wide variety of rods.. the seabass rods and the speed zone rods look interesting..

Before I picked up these jigging rods, I poked around the search bar here on SOL.. surprisingly little came up..

For $149 I'm a little shocked more guys aren't using them.. they seem like a good quality for the $. Obviously I can't speak to thier longevity, but at that price it was worth a toll of the dice..

Also... I got a pm asking if I was a representative of or had affiliation with centaur..

Just to be 100% clear, I am not... I do not have any affiliation w centaur whatsoever at all.. I'm just a paying customer like anyone else.

I'm a gear junkie and like buying new toys.. I bought their rods at full price from my local shop and I was impressed by them so I wanted to get a little more feedback from other users..

As I mentioned above, there is very little info on them here on SOL, so it seemed an appropriate topic..

CENTAUR CONSTELLATION LIGHT LURE ROD

Model Length Packed Length 2 Pieces Mid Jointed Lure Weight (g) Line Class PE Tip Diameter (mm) Butt Diameter (mm) Rod Weight (g) Action

83 M 8' 3" 4' 3" 8g - 25g PE1 - PE2 1.71mm 10.71mm 140g Medium Fast

I like their hooks and I took a chance on the rod, overall it's not bad. I like the built and sensitivity that you would expect from a ultra light rod. I got the 73ML rate 5g -20g

3 hours ago, shu said:

I like their hooks and I took a chance on the rod, overall it's not bad.

Same... Hooks and split rings were what initially caught my attention..

But now that I've had a chance to play with them, I'm really liking these little jigging rods also...

We will see how they hold up

I bought one of their constellation spg rods paired with a valiant 300. I love the combo. I’ve used it primarily for sea bass but it’s certainly capable of handling bigger fish. 

Also have a combat arm jigging rod for tuna but haven’t had a chance to use it. 

5 hours ago, SeaZen 21 said:

I bought one of their constellation spg rods paired with a valiant 300. I love the combo. I’ve used it primarily for sea bass but it’s certainly capable of handling bigger fish. 

Also have a combat arm jigging rod for tuna but haven’t had a chance to use it. 

I was looking at the combat arm... But with little to no available reviews, it was easier to justify the constellation rods I purchased..

I'd be very interested in hearing about how they handle big fish..

I hope you get a chance to bend that thing sooner than later