ecks

Spinning reel kickstand (reel balancer)

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I never put my rod or reel down on the ground. I always lean it against my chair or place it in the sand spike.  So that stem will do nothing for me except add weight to my setup...

2 hours ago, Ditch Jigger said:

Why not just lay it down on the handle side, if you have to lay it down. 

Handle side has moving parts that sand can get into. I see it as a useless (for me) addition though.

Edited by DAQ

At least as I understand them one use is actually as a kickstand or offset to prevent damage but my guess is that use was an after thought.  The 2 primaries are one, to balance the torque because of the weight offset to the handle side during cast.  Two, it can be used to move the balance point of the setup rearward on tip heavy set up.  Using the removable weights you can set the balance point to a certain degree.

The question is that needed or worth the cost.  Eggbeaters already sit high and look awkward compared to conventional and lopros.  Not sure I would want something else hanging off the reel to possibly snag on something.  

Never had one or have plans to so I have no idea if there is any real world benefit.

I have noticed "a trend". Reels with bails sitting far off the rotating head thereby requiring an exaggerated offset handle shaft, add a "power" knob and the offset is exaggerated even more. How can the reels not wobble on retrieve? Just one of the modern "advancements"...No wonder they "need" a reel balancer. No thanks. In my opinion a bad idea on top of another bad idea = a really bad idea.

Edited by SC

Seems like an engineer solved A problem that doesn’t exist. When I lay my rod down on the sand I put my hat under it. I do this about once a year. How many foot pounds of work did I save toting that doodad hundreds of miles? 

I use them on a few reels.. 

Cheapo ones for like 10$

They don't balance anything... 

I like the kickstand feature that makes it easy to put down the reel on rock or mud and not scratch up the handle or get it slopped up.  Also helps to prevent rashing up the reel... 

I also have rods that don't have hook hangers and guides I I'm not a fan of always hanging the hook from the frame... 

The high end Japanese brands I'm convinced are only expensive because they don't make many. 

It's not a must have but it's a nice add on. 

For the surf... And beach sand .. I'm not sure it'll be much of a benefit... 

Edited by scoobydoo