ecks

Mustad hooks made in China

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

I use mustad hooks and always liked that they were still made in Norway. I read something about they make the hook wire in Norway but actual hooks made in China. Kinda shady that the Norway part of the equation is in color but the China part is almost white text. See attached images. 

D5223F8C-8083-42EB-8BC8-970BB1A2CC17.jpeg

854FA746-5BB3-44FE-85EC-35A0BB94863A.jpeg

If these hooks don't stand up to my type of fishing I will just purchase hooks from a different manufacturer.. Everything is outsourced... We are just a country of consumers...

All this China manufacturing for Mustad is the work of new owners.  The company was sold several years ago and the entire corporate culture changed with the ownership.  Inventory is brought into the US by the container load at the cheapest rate possible which usually means the slowest.  Customer service is non existent.  They don't even answer phones.  Individual hook sizes in a complete line are being phased out leaving gaps like missing teeth.  They have become a classic case of how not to run a company.  Unfortunately they are still the best game in town for a commercial maker like me.  Nobody else makes as many good jig hook styles and sizes as Mustad.  I wish Wright and McGill (Eagle Claw) would wake up and compete in that arena.  Their jig hooks are just not as strong.

2 hours ago, Dan Tinman said:

All this China manufacturing for Mustad is the work of new owners.  The company was sold several years ago and the entire corporate culture changed with the ownership.  Inventory is brought into the US by the container load at the cheapest rate possible which usually means the slowest.  Customer service is non existent.  They don't even answer phones.  Individual hook sizes in a complete line are being phased out leaving gaps like missing teeth.  They have become a classic case of how not to run a company.  Unfortunately they are still the best game in town for a commercial maker like me.  Nobody else makes as many good jig hook styles and sizes as Mustad.  I wish Wright and McGill (Eagle Claw) would wake up and compete in that arena.  Their jig hooks are just not as strong.

Its like the two major hook company we depended on are racing to the bottom.  I do like the new mustad 5x treble and their c68s and c70 fly hooks.

38 mins ago, hobobob said:

Its like the two major hook company we depended on are racing to the bottom.  I do like the new mustad 5x treble and their c68s and c70 fly hooks.

I'm really only familiar with the jig hooks and common salt water hooks like the 3407, 9175, 31022. 34081, 34091 etc. but it's not surprising to hear what you posted.  If they screw up one product line they'll do it to all eventually.  Really wish Wright & McGill would get on the ball.  They did a lot of complaining a while back about offshore sourcing even to the point of having a special parking lot just for American made cars for their employees.  Complaining doesn't solve problems.  Stepping up to the plate and taking a swing does.

23 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

I'm really only familiar with the jig hooks and common salt water hooks like the 3407, 9175, 31022. 34081, 34091 etc. but it's not surprising to hear what you posted.  If they screw up one product line they'll do it to all eventually.  Really wish Wright & McGill would get on the ball.  They did a lot of complaining a while back about offshore sourcing even to the point of having a special parking lot just for American made cars for their employees.  Complaining doesn't solve problems.  Stepping up to the plate and taking a swing does.

Is it still possible? Eagle claw's branding is synonymous with junk.  Most of the broken junk you see on the beach is either eagle claw or south bend.  They had to revert back to the w & m name.  You ever try their trokar jig hooks?

3 mins ago, hobobob said:

Is it still possible? Eagle claw's branding is synonymous with junk.  Most of the broken junk you see on the beach is either eagle claw or south bend.  They had to revert back to the w & m name.  You ever try their trokar jig hooks?

I believe it would be possible.  It would take a big commitment in time, money and company management with the guts to stick it out.

I've never tried their Trokar hooks.  Never had a reason to or a request for them.  Maybe I should get some and see what they're like.

The best hooks money can buy are made in China. 

BKK... 

Mustad makes a few decent hooks.. Lotsa garbage over the years. 

Hence the goof "mustad.. Norwegian for dull"