Goudacuda

gloves

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

glove season is gonna be here sooner than we think, i've been trying to look for a new pair of waterproof or semi waterproof gloves that aren't too thick to hinder with the cast and fishability. does anyone have any opinions on anything they've had success with in the past 

I have tried to find warm waterproof gloves in the past that won't hinder fishing and I just end up going back to the trusted tipless rag wool gloves. They just seem to work best and are cheap so you can have multiple pairs if needed and also replace them often if they get worn.

1 min ago, Craiger12 said:

I have tried to find warm waterproof gloves in the past that won't hinder fishing and I just end up going back to the trusted tipless rag wool gloves. They just seem to work best and are cheap so you can have multiple pairs if needed and also replace them often if they get worn.

X2 

however I did get mild frost bite last winter so the trick is to keep your hands dry if at all possible.  If you’re going to get them wet and it’s teen to single digits you need to get waterproof gloves.  

in years past I've always used a thin pair of nike running gloves and they've worked great until they got wet, was just looking at those glacier bay gloves that are a 2mm neoprene but they might be a little too stiff and thick to work 

1 min ago, Goudacuda said:

in years past I've always used a thin pair of nike running gloves and they've worked great until they got wet, was just looking at those glacier bay gloves that are a 2mm neoprene but they might be a little too stiff and thick to work 

I tried those and they just didn't work out for me. No only is dexterity an issue, but I think my fingers got colder than with the wool gloves.

1 min ago, MagDarter said:

X2 

however I did get mild frost bite last winter so the trick is to keep your hands dry if at all possible.  If you’re going to get them wet and it’s teen to single digits you need to get waterproof gloves.  

Most waterproof gloves are neoprene, which insulates poorly out of the water. They also aren't breathable, so your hands will just get wet from sweat anyway. 

Gloves just suck for fishing. The ones that would be appropriate for keeping warm (wicking liner/insulation/waterproof shell) are difficult to cast with. The others just don't keep your hands that warm. I personally use wool, because wool at least offers some insulation while wet. In the end, hand warmers for the real cold days are probably the best bet.

56 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Most waterproof gloves are neoprene, which insulates poorly out of the water. They also aren't breathable, so your hands will just get wet from sweat anyway. 

Gloves just suck for fishing. The ones that would be appropriate for keeping warm (wicking liner/insulation/waterproof shell) are difficult to cast with. The others just don't keep your hands that warm. I personally use wool, because wool at least offers some insulation while wet. In the end, hand warmers for the real cold days are probably the best bet.

I agree best form of gloves I’ve found are wool 

I picked up a pair of Stormr gloves last fall. They kept my hands warm, but still I’ve never found a pair of gloves that felt great while fishing. 

Edited by MattieG

For the past few seasons I’ve been using Kast steelhead gloves.  They’re waterproof and have served me well.  They have a rubberized palm and aren’t too thick so you retain decent dexterity.  Though I must admit, after a few hours, I end up taking them off and using my convertible fingerless wool mittens.

F74B93D1-3444-4B20-8F20-7F2890E2983E.jpeg

CF01A434-9096-4741-A395-E55BAE598D35.jpeg

I find the worst problem is water drying from the skin, and wear Macwet shooting gloves.

water evaporates from gloves, not skin, and just keeps wind chill off.

So thin you can open lure clips.

When it is really, really cold, I wear Guideline FIR fingerless gloves on top.

as others have said, sometimes it is just damn hard. Core heat is important.

3 hours ago, fishtheeast said:

Sealskinz. Kept me warm even after getting splashed. They are not neoprene, I think it some kind of knit material. 

Haven't heard of these before. How is casting with them?

7 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Haven't heard of these before. How is casting with them?

They are tight fitting so dexterity is very good. I was actually fly fishing with them and didn’t have any issues. 

33 mins ago, fishtheeast said:

They are tight fitting so dexterity is very good. I was actually fly fishing with them and didn’t have any issues. 

Wow, may have to give them a try then. Thanks!